PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speaker Flaw?

SaltwaterMC
05-28-2007, 11:22 AM
I just installed a pair of factory tower speakers with integrated lights on my '07 X-Star. Since we use the boat exclusively in saltwater, everything gets hosed down after every use (including the tower speaker cans). Also the boat is stored outside and thus gets rained on from time to time. The problem we foresaw was that the cans would take on water and have no way of draining. I took the speakers out of the cans after they were hosed down for the first time (pretty lightly hosed down), and sure enough there was a nice pool of water sitting in the bottom of the can. Our solution is to drill a very small hole in the bottom of each can to allow them to drain. I didn't know if anyone had encountered this problem before and if there is something we're missing, or if our solution sounds like a good one.

PendO
05-28-2007, 11:30 AM
I believe the stock cans on our 04 had/have the hole in them ... so your solution sounds like a good one ... I'd go out and check but it is raining and the boat is in the driveway not the garage:)

SaltwaterMC
05-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the reply PendO, I guess I'll have to suck it up and drill a hole into those shiny new cans.

mallees
05-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Be carefull if you drill a hole in the cans, I dont know if the newer cans are the same as my 03/04 cans. But mine are chrome plated aluminium, If you try and drill through these puppies I'm pretty sure that the plating will shatter and lift.
Mine already came with small holes in the bottom.
I had to file out about 2mm of the inner diameter to get the my Polk Momo speakers to fit, as soon as I broke the surface, the chrome plating started to peel off. I was getting the cans re-plated anyway as I bought them second hand (Thanks Skidog) so the peeling didnt matter.

SaltwaterMC
06-02-2007, 05:20 PM
For anyone who has OEM speaker cans, how big is the whole in the bottom of the can that came from the factory? I am ready to drill the holes but want them to be as close to factory as possible. Thanks.

onewheat
06-02-2007, 05:54 PM
My '07 cans have no holes either. I never thought of them holding water.

trickskier
06-02-2007, 05:58 PM
I have a pair of 04 cans on my 06...........A 1/8 drill bit is just a little loose while a 5/32 is too big.............Don't forget to clean the inside for burrs or the water will not drain properly.

SaltwaterMC
06-02-2007, 05:58 PM
We got a whole lot of rain last night and into this morning as Tropical Storm Barry went right over us and the cans have been very slowly dripping all day. I'm ready to put an end to this problem.

SaltwaterMC
06-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks trickskier

beatle78
06-04-2007, 11:45 AM
just a suggestion. Have you contacted your dealer?

These sounds like new factory speakers, if you drill a hole in them the warranty will probably be void.:twocents:

JBaker
06-06-2007, 10:06 PM
This is interesting stuff...:popcorn:

stevenm2
06-06-2007, 10:17 PM
my 04 cans have lights however they had no baffle in them to stop wind or rain from hitting the back of the speaker from around the light itself while driving down the freeway.It caused my Marine speakers to seperate from the cone (I guess that's what it's called)
I thought you may want to consider that if you have lights as well.

SaltwaterMC
06-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Contacted the dealer and they gave me the green light to drill the holes. Can anyone with stock holes tell me approximately where the holes are drilled on the bottom of their cans? Obviously, the most practical would be the lowest point for draining purposes, but was interested to see where MC has put them in the past. Pictures would help if anyone has them. Stevenm2 thanks for the advice I will make sure to only to with the Speakersox on. Thanks.

Diesel
06-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Contacted the dealer and they gave me the green light to drill the holes. Can anyone with stock holes tell me approximately where the holes are drilled on the bottom of their cans? Obviously, the most practical would be the lowest point for draining purposes, but was interested to see where MC has put them in the past. Pictures would help if anyone has them. Stevenm2 thanks for the advice I will make sure to only to with the Speakersox on. Thanks.

Talk about treating a symptom instead of the cause :rolleyes:

For what you paid for those speakers you should not have to do a damn thing. The aftermarket set I have are completely sealed, have never leaked once, sound better, and cost half of what the MC cans do.

beatle78
06-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Diesel, pics? :)

Diesel
06-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Diesel, pics? :)

Fusions from THIS (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3189&highlight=kicker) thread.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1241/dsc00580r9fw.jpg

KnoxX2
06-08-2007, 09:57 AM
I have a set of Fusions also and I can tell you I love them!!!

They are very clean sound.