PDA

View Full Version : ignition module ??

rob935
05-27-2007, 04:02 PM
hi guys having trouble with hot starts on my 93 prostar, ive changed the dist cap, rotor and coil but it still doesnt start after a good run.
took ignition module out and noticed it was very hot ,i let it cool and the boat started straight away, should it be so hot ? and is this the root of the problem.

JEREMY79
05-27-2007, 11:45 PM
How long has it been since a tune up? Did you just replace the cap, or did you do the rotor button also?

rob935
05-28-2007, 09:35 AM
did the cap, rotor and all the leads along with the coil . its also just had an oil filter and plug change.

JEREMY79
05-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Very possibe it could be the module. Did this just start after the tune up? What about your starter. Almost sound like heat soak

rob935
05-29-2007, 08:06 AM
not familiar with the term heat soak.?.. no the problem pre dates the tune up, im using the process of elimination so far on this one. the engine is running much better after the tune up but still has the problem of starting while hot. the engine turns no problem but just wont fire, not a fuel problem as its getting a good flow, any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

TMCNo1
05-29-2007, 10:19 AM
rob935,
Heat soak, is when you shut the engine down and the cooling water stops flowing thru the engine, the heat in parts of the engine not yet cooled by the cooling system soaks throughout the engine and the engine temp rises.
After you have run your boat for a while and lets say the operating temp is 140 degrees, cut the engine off and let it set for let's say 10 minutes. Cut the ignition switch on, but do not crank and then just read the temp. gauge and it can be as high as 180, 190 or even over 200, depending on how hot the lake water is and the air temp. is. Then, crank the engine and watch the temp. gauge drop to the normal operating temp. The built up heat is reflected in the gauge because the heat of the engine has soaked to the area of the sending unit for the temp. gauge, because there is no cooling water circulating throughout the engine as it is when running.

rob935
05-30-2007, 05:40 AM
Thanks tmcno.1 , that explains heat soak thoroughly and makes perfect sence, just spoke to my spares shop tried to order a new prestolite module (prs65-189) he tells me he cant source this product but has a similar Thunderbolt module that will directly replace the prestolite unit ?? any one done this before ?? im hesitant because its a costly part and would like to know if hes talking sence...thanks guys.

TMCNo1
05-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks tmcno.1 , that explains heat soak thoroughly and makes perfect sence, just spoke to my spares shop tried to order a new prestolite module (prs65-189) he tells me he cant source this product but has a similar Thunderbolt module that will directly replace the prestolite unit ?? any one done this before ?? im hesitant because its a costly part and would like to know if hes talking sence...thanks guys.

See my post in your other thread, with Prestolite contact info!

rob935
05-31-2007, 04:49 AM
thanks again tmcno1.

rob935
05-31-2007, 08:11 PM
all sorted guys. i bought the thunderbolt module and although it looks totally different to the prestolite it slots straight in and has solved all my problems...roll on the weekend im goin skiing....

cheers guys. and thanks again.