PDA

View Full Version : Oil Bath Hub - Reliability?

Tim205
05-27-2007, 01:53 PM
I was reading P-Phat's awesome Oil Bath maintenance thread and was curious to learn about other's experience with these types of hubs. I am planning a long-haul tow (FL - NH - FL) next month, and am now a bit nervous about seeing milky oil 1500 miles from home. Also, I was told the oil should only be half-way up the window, is that correct? Any pre-trip precautions you would make? Tools and parts to bring with you just in case? Thanks, Tim.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-27-2007, 02:00 PM
As long as you have a jack, tire iron, the proper allen wrench, thread locker/seal, and a quart or 2 of 15-40 oil (gear lube is actually more convenient because the tip fits nicely into the fill/drain holes) you can change out your fluid if you see something you don't like. 15mins per side easy.

I'd like to know on the proper fill levels too. Both SA trailers I had came with fluid full up to just a couple millimeters down from the top of the site window. Seems like too much space and the rapid cooling of the air in the hub (when putting trailer in the water) would create a 'suction' effect and help pull water in???