PDA

View Full Version : Help....Thread size for impeller screws???

92 190 PS
05-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Just had the boat out this morning for the first time this year and unfortunately it's out of the water for the first time this year. I lost the impeller while under way and have no idea how. Good news is I shut it down right away and the boat didn't over heat or anything. Bad news is I can't find any of the screws...The boat is a 92 prostar 190..Please help...Thanks

JohnnyB
05-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Just had the bopat out this morning for the first time this year and unfortunately it's out of the water for the first time this year. I lost the impeller while under way and have no idea how. Good news is I shut it down right away and the boat didn't over heat or anything. Bad news is I can't find any of the screws...The boat is a 92 prostar 190..Please help...Thanks

I'm not sure of your question.....the impeller housing should be at the front of the engine....if you sit in the observers chair and open the motor cover, you should be staring right at it. It should be directly behind the pylon. There are four brass screws on the cover. Typically, the pylon is in the way when you're using the screw driver....a wrench works better.

Also, remember the screws are brass, so tighten but don't over-tighten.

Here's a picture from my 92 prostar...arrows to the four screws

JohnnyB
05-27-2007, 11:12 AM
OK, re-reading this.....you've already taken the impeller out and need to know the size of the screws????

92 190 PS
05-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Yes, I need to know the size of the screws.

JimN
05-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I think they're 3/16"-24 or something like that. Use only brass or stainless, use anti-seize of some kind and don't over tighten them. The thread pitch may be 32 but if you have a good hardware store, get a couple of different sizes and return what you don't need. It's definitely not as big as 1/4"-20, though.

Or, if you're like me, buy replacement screws and instantly find the original ones.

stu
08-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Hello everybody. I am replacing the slotted brass hex bolts that hold the cover on the impeller housing cause one broke off during impeller replacement. I need help with two things.

1. Are these metric or standard? M5 or 10-32?
2. Should I stick with brass? The entire impeller housing is brass including the holes the bolts screw into.

My boat is a 2005 X2 Rpt-1 any my impeller housing looks just like Bigmacs photo in post #2 of
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15057

Thank you!
resolved issue
Found out that they are 10-32 by about 5/16. Bought 12 brass ones from Skidim. They don't need the size, just the boat, year, engine, etc. Stayed w/ brass. Just going to avoid over tightening and replace them regularly.

For future reference for people: if one breaks off, before removing whole impeller housing, first try to get it out with an ice pick or something and spinning it manually. The brass on brass doesn't seize up and spins out quite easily.