PDA

View Full Version : Priming fuel system

iokua
02-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Anyone know what the best way to prime the fuel system is after replacing the carb and fuel/water seperator? I've confirmed there is fuel up to the seperator, but can't get it to go any further - should I fill the seperator or the carb, or both?

1985 S&S w/PCM 351.

ski_king
02-05-2005, 05:21 PM
I had the same problem with mine a year or 2 ago. As it turned out, I needed to replace my fuel pump.
No priming was needed then, gas shot right thru.
Do you have an other filters that may need replaced?

iokua
02-05-2005, 05:57 PM
I was afraid it was the fuel pump, too; but it was running OK a few months ago, before the new fuel/water seperator.

I filled the seperator and was able to get it started......must have been too much air in an empty seperator........

Thanks for the reply, though.

jimmer2880
02-15-2005, 07:26 AM
I had that problem in my old '84 Supra when I did the same thing. I ended up squirting some gas down the carb, Starting it, then when it sounded like it was going to stall, squirt more.

Some on this board will recommend Starting Fluid instead. Gas can be rather dangerous. I think JimN recommends putting gas in a mustard bottle & using that to squirt.

Either way, if you're not injected (which, it doesn't look like you are), then your pump probably isn't bad - you just need to get gas sucked into it. It's in a air lock now.

Storm861triple
02-15-2005, 09:47 PM
You don't need to "inject" the gas.

Get a piece of gas hose and slipit over the "J" vent. Then get a paper cup, kink one side to make a spout, and pour gas from the cup into the hose. Pour about 1/2 cup in, or until it starts to (over)flow out the discharge nozzle into the carb barrel.

Remove the hose, and you should have enough fuel in there to idle the engine for at least a 30 seconds. If it dies after that, your fuel pump is no good. The fuel pump should EASILY replenish the float bowls by that time.

jimmer2880
02-16-2005, 07:23 AM
You don't need to "inject" the gas.

Get a piece of gas hose and slipit over the "J" vent. Then get a paper cup, kink one side to make a spout, and pour gas from the cup into the hose. Pour about 1/2 cup in, or until it starts to (over)flow out the discharge nozzle into the carb barrel.

Remove the hose, and you should have enough fuel in there to idle the engine for at least a 30 seconds. If it dies after that, your fuel pump is no good. The fuel pump should EASILY replenish the float bowls by that time.

Thx for the advice... I'll have to remember that one.