PDA

View Full Version : Oil bath hub seal DIY...

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-27-2007, 01:52 AM
EDIT: Since wakesiderides.com is down, I have added a couple of links to other sites containing the tutorial. For the wakeboarder.com site, you have to be logged in to see the pictures. For the wakeworld.com site, you do not need to be logged in.

Wakeworld:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/453626.html?1180533730

Wakeboarder:
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=69606&highlight

Hey all,
I know there have been threads in the past asking about oil bath hub maintenance and such. Well, I had water intrusion in both hubs and decided to try to get to the root cause. I put together a DIY on www.wakesiderides.com (http://www.wakesiderides.com) if you are interested or think it might help you. Please keep in mind that I'm not a mechanic, so someone with more knowledge may have some tips to offer, or errors to point out...which is fine, so please do so!

Take care,
Paul

TMCNo1
05-27-2007, 08:25 AM
A very nice job on the tutirial, it don't gret no better than that. The lettering in the pictures could have been white to make it easier to read, IMO. Thanks for the great job!

Tim205
05-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Great Job P-Phat. When you do something, you do it right! I agree about the white lettering. I might be getting old, but I just can't see the blue.

JohnnyB
05-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Good set of pics....usually when I'm doing something in the garage I'm working against the clock and don't get pics. Thanks for taking your time and sharing.

Incidentally, one thing I noticed is that you should probably put blue loctite on the bolts that hold the brake calipers on. I just intalled new calipers yesterday and the new factory calipers came pre-shipped with blue locktite on the hex bolts.

P.S. I'm going to go look at the color of my hub grease now.....how many miles are on that trailer?

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-27-2007, 10:01 AM
I agree guys. EDIT: I changed it to make it easier to read.

BTW...you did click on the images to see them bigger, right?

EDIT: JB...surprisingly it happened fairly quickly. Probably no more than 2000 miles and w/i the first ~10months since I got it. I did find a groove worn on the starboard side seal surface. I don't know what would cause that, but I'm sure it doesn't help my situation.

Ahh...no locktite on my bolts so I didn't add any. Easy enough to go back and do. I have a feeling I'll be dorking with them again this off season.

Thanks for the compliments.
Paul

prostar205
06-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Paul -

I have two questions.

1) approximately what is the capacity of each bearing?
2) I have some Rear Axel Lubricant left over from when I rebuilt the rear end in my '91 Explore. It is SAE 80W-90. Is this OK to use in the bearings or it is too heavy?

Great DIY article.

Tom

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Paul -

I have two questions.

1) approximately what is the capacity of each bearing?
2) I have some Rear Axel Lubricant left over from when I rebuilt the rear end in my '91 Explore. It is SAE 80W-90. Is this OK to use in the bearings or it is too heavy?

Great DIY article.

Tom

Tom,
1) Each hub takes less than a half quart. Not sure of the exact amount, but my dealer said 70-80% of the site window should be full.
2) I'm no expert, but I'd run the 80W-90 without hesitation. Following is a clip from the '04 MC owners manual. Page 26-5 I do believe.

I'm glad the DIY helped you.

Paul

MCX2RYD
06-20-2007, 02:33 AM
P-hat,

Used your method tonight. Started at 9. Done the one wheel changed out everything bearings and all. Also after cleaning out all the old grease from the hub was done by 10.

Printed off most of the steps that involved pulling and installing the bearings. Worked perfect.... Besides testing them yet. But the install was easy and simple to follow.

THANK YOU for posting this stuff up. Guys like myself who love instructions appreciate it lots!

Brent

vogelm1
06-21-2007, 11:38 PM
The past couple times I've changed the oil in my hubs I used 50w motor oil with no issues. Recently changed out the seals and used Shell Rotella 80-90w gear oil based on popular TT vote. I've noticed - on one side only:confused: - that the oil really froths up and has a lot of bubbles in it. The other side appears normal. Does anyone think this could cause a lack of lubrication going 70mph down the highway? I'd hate to find out the hard way, unless this is a common thing and nothing to worry about.

vogelm1
06-22-2007, 10:26 AM
bump..................

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-22-2007, 10:32 AM
The past couple times I've changed the oil in my hubs I used 50w motor oil with no issues. Recently changed out the seals and used Shell Rotella 80-90w gear oil based on popular TT vote. I've noticed - on one side only:confused: - that the oil really froths up and has a lot of bubbles in it. The other side appears normal. Does anyone think this could cause a lack of lubrication going 70mph down the highway? I'd hate to find out the hard way, unless this is a common thing and nothing to worry about.

When it settles out, what color is it? Almost looks to have water intrusion.

I have noticed some bubbles in mine after trailering, but haven't worried about it too much.

Brent...I'm glad the thread helped you out.

OhioProstar
06-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Bubbles in a splash feed system is pretty common. I don't know if you can keep it from happening. As long as it is on top of the oil I wouldn't think much of it. I believe if you run a lube with no detergents it will froth less. Straight 50w non-detergent?

vogelm1
06-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I was thinking it was a bit of water intrusion too - funny thing is I just replaced the seals so I was kinda ruling that out. Started to look closer and it is indeed 'bubbles'. After sitting for 15 minutes all returns to normal and takes on the normal color.

Ric
06-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Well done Phat
what do you think about the wear you saw on the seal diameters? how has the repair held up so far? any leaks?

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Well done Phat
what do you think about the wear you saw on the seal diameters? how has the repair held up so far? any leaks?

Only one hub had a 'wear' mark on the shaft. Both old seals looked fine before I destoyed them pulling them out.

I'm happy to say that there is no water intrusion to date and the setup performed flawlessly during a round trip to Norris Lake and back (~500miles).

Thanks,
Paul

Chief
07-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Same part numbers for a 06 single X2 trailer? Is it possible to have a drip, but no water intrusion? My right caliper and inside of the rotor are pretty greasy. Doesn't look like brake fluid but there's not water intrusion to oil in hub.

MCX2RYD
07-06-2007, 05:18 PM

The pic of vogelm1's hub oil bath housings are the ones that I had. All plastic. Found that they melted and the threads failed and cause leakage/water intrusion. Changed all out to aluminum type as MC doesnt give the plastic ones out anymore. I would suggest to anyone to get the new hub bath housings. I changed the one but after 250 miles I had to stop and change the other 3 on the side of the road. Brought everything with me and was prepared to do it. Took an hr and a half but what a pain for an 06 trailer!!!!!

TOO-TALL
08-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Great artical p-hat.

I had to replace a caliper this weekend and the one wheel bearings sounded really ruff.Time to replace.

My question.
The two set screws is there a inner and a outer chamber of oil for the inner and outer bearing or is there one big chamber?

Thanks TOO-TALL

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-07-2007, 11:51 AM
One big chamber. The inner-most opening appears to dump oil b/w the bearings. The outer just fills from the outside. I filled from the inner-most and used the outer-most as a breather port.

AIRCANX09
07-24-2008, 05:19 PM
I hate to bring up old posts but..... Pat, thanks for the great pictorial. I am attempting to replace the seals on my 2003 tandem axel trailer however I have a snag. Does the aluminum end thread(spin) off or pry off. My dealer says thread but I am having great difficulties. Any one have suggestions? And yes I know...righty-tighty lefty-loosey!

Roonie's
07-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Also since I just ordered a full hub parts list for my 07 oil bath trailer to have just in case I thought I would post the part numbers here for others. I am just going to list the parts most likely needing to replace instead of every single part on the hub assembly.

These are part numbers from MC dealership good for mastercraft trailers 2003-2008 15" hub

bearing protector w/ lens (05-08) #650688
bearing protector w/ lens (03-04) #650649
cotter pin #650623
bearing protector o-ring #650643
Outer bearing #650665
Outer race #653900
Inner race #654001
Inner bearing #650663
Oil Bath Seal #650662

Also use 50W (what my dealer recommended) or gear lube/oil.

and last but not least disc brake pads (set) #650659

I can list approximate prices too if needed.

TOO-TALL
07-24-2008, 06:31 PM
I hate to bring up old posts but..... Pat, thanks for the great pictorial. I am attempting to replace the seals on my 2003 tandem axel trailer however I have a snag. Does the aluminum end thread(spin) off or pry off. My dealer says thread but I am having great difficulties. Any one have suggestions? And yes I know...righty-tighty lefty-loosey!

You will need to pry the end off.Go slow alittle at a time and rotate the hub as you pry.
I just replaced one of my seals last week.

Wake2004
05-13-2010, 10:38 PM
I am in the process of changing oil in my hubs, on one of the hubs both drain screws are stripped. I have sprayed some WD40 on but still no luck removing the drain screws.

Any suggestions? Do I have to replace the cap?

Jerseydave
05-13-2010, 10:52 PM
I am in the process of changing oil in my hubs, on one of the hubs both drain screws are stripped. I have sprayed some WD40 on but still no luck removing the drain screws.

The screws are more for filling than draining (my hubs only have 1 drain screw each) but you have to get the screw out in order to refill the hub. Are you saying the allen wrench just spins around, or is the screw siezed tight into the threads of the hub?

Either way, you may have to try using a chisel or an easy-out to turn the screw.

BTW, if you have the plastic hub covers you should think about changing to the aluminum ones. One of my original plastic ones cracked and allowed water to get into the oil.

TOO-TALL
05-14-2010, 12:37 AM

You could grind a fresh edge on your allen wrench.
Or find a metric allen wrench that is alittle tight and force it in the screw.
I tried both these in the past and they have worked.

Sodar
05-14-2010, 01:37 AM

Same thing happened to one of my hubs last weekend. I tried everything and had no luck. I finally bit the bullet, drilled it out, retapped it and put in a new and slightly larger allen plug. It was actually a lot easier than I was expecting.

Wake2004
05-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Thank you for the suggestions, I was able to get it out after taking a torch to the surrounding area on the hub. Does anyone know what size the screw is? I would like to replace them with new screws. I was thinking 1/4" but I am not sure if it is metric or standard.

peason
05-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Does anyone have this tutorial saved that they can repost or send to me? I can not get the link to work. Thanks!

Thrall
05-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Sounds like I should put anti seize on the screws intstead of the RTV sealant i used to make sure they didn't weep any oil.

Mitch_aus
05-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Giday Guys

Does anyone have a copy of P-Hats instructions on oil bath bearings they can post or PM.

We have a 03 MC Trailer here in OZ and have issues with one hub.

I have pulled Australian versions apart before, but the MC ones appear more complex and much better quality.

Thanks.:)

bjm300zx
06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
The link to the thread doesnt work anymore. Is this info still available?

jengle
07-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Try this

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/453626.html?1180533730

bturner2
07-08-2010, 09:05 AM
That looks like water in the oil to me. Does it clear up afer it's been sitting?

Wake2004
07-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Sounds like I should put anti seize on the screws intstead of the RTV sealant i used to make sure they didn't weep any oil.

Yes anti seize my manual says to use it and I was able to purchase a new drain plug from the mastercraft dealer in AZ, it has anti-seize already on it from the factory.

Also for those of you with reliable brand bath systems from 2004 era the caps are not made anylonger. After visiting several mastercraft dealers I was able to find one in their remaining inventory. Mastercraft of AZ told me if I couldn't find the replacement cap that I would have replace the entire hub so that screw on caps would fit. Check your dealers now for a spare it might be needed in the future.

CantRepeat
10-18-2010, 11:33 AM
It seems the site that was hosting the OP's tutorial has been registered by someone else and no longer contains the tut. Did anyone happen to save the tut and could possible add it to the trailer forum?

Thanks.

P-hat_in_Cincy
10-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Here's a link to it on another site (wakeworld).

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/453626.html?1180533730[/URL]

Here's another link. However, you have to be logged in to see the pictures.

[URL]http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=69606&highlight (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453626)

Take care,
Paul