PDA

View Full Version : Throttle will not stay put

daverbeck
05-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Just took my (new to me) '94 Sportstar out today. Ran fine but the throttle will not stay in position. It always goes back to idle unless it is set quite fast (nearly 40 mph).

Is there a way to set the tension / preload on the throttle mechanism? Every other boat I've driven the throttle stays in place unless you move it.

The throttle moves easily and does not seem to have any slop or eratic action. Shifts smoothly.

Thanks

milkmania
05-27-2007, 01:07 AM
Just took my (new to me) '94 Sportstar out today. Ran fine but the throttle will not stay in position. It always goes back to idle unless it is set quite fast (nearly 40 mph).

Is there a way to set the tension / preload on the throttle mechanism? Every other boat I've driven the throttle stays in place unless you move it.

The throttle moves easily and does not seem to have any slop or eratic action. Shifts smoothly.

Thanks

similar problem was discussed here http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16365&highlight=pegged

TMCNo1
05-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Could be the reason Albert Einstien may have helped develop the throttle return spring!

I think I will try to capture lightening in a Coke bottle, while flying a Wego Kite Tube during a thunderstorm!

JohnnyB
05-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Throttle return sping.....my 92 did the same thing....it's a PITA.

It's not as noticeable on my 04....I'll have to see if it does it too.

daverbeck
05-27-2007, 02:03 PM
I'll look for a lighter spring. Seems like the best solution. I prefer 2 hands on the wheel when turning and seems easier to maintain a constant speed when not fighting the return spring.