PDA

View Full Version : Clarion HU with Sirius/ always trying to "link"

eswolfgang
05-26-2007, 06:45 PM
I have an 07 X-2 with the Clarion Stereo with Sirius. The sirius equipment is installed, was from the factory. The radio is constantly linking to get a signal (i started service).

I looked for the antenna and it is located in the storage compartment with the amp. Do I have to move the antenna to get signal?? Why would MC put the antenna in a space where it would not work?

eric

Farmer Ted
05-26-2007, 07:21 PM
I have an 07 X-2 with the Clarion Stereo with Sirius. The sirius equipment is installed, was from the factory. The radio is constantly linking to get a signal (i started service).

I looked for the antenna and it is located in the storage compartment with the amp. Do I have to move the antenna to get signal?? Why would MC put the antenna in a space where it would not work?

eric

I have XM and the antenna needs to have a clear view of the southern sky to get the best signal.

XM satellites are in a geosynchronous orbit at the equator,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Geostat.gif

Sirius' do some sort of figure eight patern so I'm not sure what part of the sky the antenna needs
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/Sirius_orbit_Earth.JPG

For sure it needs to be out of the glove box and have an unobstructed view of the sky

TX.X-30 fan
05-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Clarion sirius sucks, I have an alpine head unit with sirius and the antenna is under the dash. I get reception running 40 mph on the lake. I never got reception worth a sheet with that old clarion stuff. I tried moving the antenna everywhere and nothing worked. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure. The alpine sirius receiver is just better, hands down.

eswolfgang
05-28-2007, 07:26 AM
I moved the antenna from under the dash and it works great (at least at my dock, have not drove around yet). Makes me wonder what MC was thinking. The antenna has a stud on it which makes it hard to mount. I am going to look for a replacement antenna which I can mount with double sided tape.

any way thanks guys for the input....

eric

jmmcalpin
05-28-2007, 09:03 AM
I have the Sirius Clarion set up and the antenna is a flat little block, I put it on a flat surface next to the tower and ran the wire under the front seat, it works great, I do lose reception when I run under a bridge so it definately needs to see the sky.

PendO
05-28-2007, 10:46 AM
I moved the antenna from under the dash and it works great (at least at my dock, have not drove around yet). Makes me wonder what MC was thinking. The antenna has a stud on it which makes it hard to mount. I am going to look for a replacement antenna which I can mount with double sided tape.

any way thanks guys for the input....

eric

The proper way to mount that clarion sirius (Marine) antenna is to drill a hole in the fiberglass in front of the passenger window and then use silicon to stick/adhere it to the fiberglass... (look at a new Four Winns setup) ... (I'm guessing MC didn't want to drill into your new hull and then have a customer po'd about the installation, and/or cause some cracking/spidering in the gel coat)... we had the same antenna on our 04 x-star, and we were not willing to drill into the hull so we just let the antenna sit on top of the glove box ... the antenna wire eventually broke and we cancelled our subscription and now just use the Ipod, don't have to worry about the antenna:)

JBaker
06-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I have the Clarion Sirius setup and have no problems. The antenna does need a clear view of the sky...but certain things don't "count" for obstruction. Fiberglass is one of them. The antenna can see through most non-metal objects just fine. I didn't want to see my antenna so I built a sort of U that the antenna could mount to right side up and mounted it under the bow.