PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption

Jim
02-05-2005, 02:41 PM
I have an 04 X10 with the MCX powerplant. The owners manual says oil comsumption can be high for the first 50 hours. I've changed my oil at 20 and 50 hours. I am now at around 80 hours and over the short life of my motor I have had to put in about 3 quarts of oil to keep it full. I am using the manufacture reccomended 15-40 oil and performing the checks in the water with the motor hot. No signs of leaks,smell or white smoke. Consumption seams to be decreasing slowly but 3 quarts seems like alot of oil to have to add in 80 hours. The dealer says that its a high performance motor and as long as it is decreasing it is normal and should be ok. Should I be concerned? How much should be considered excessive during the new break in period?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim

jjsosnowski
02-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Jim, I rebuild motor's for a living. Every engine is its own animal. Some take longer for the rings to get a good seat on the cylinder walls.I would not get excited just yet. Does this still have warranty.If so don't sweat it.They make new ones every day.Have a cold one and relax.

André
02-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Still,3 quarts in 30 hours seems high...

Jim
02-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Jason,
Thanks for the Info. Yes, it has a 3 year warranty.

Jim

milkmania
02-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Still,3 quarts in 30 hours seems high...

3 quarts for 80 hours....

I think

André
02-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Ooops!
I taught it was 3 quarts after his 50 hours oil change...

milkmania
02-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Ooops!
I taught it was 3 quarts after his 50 hours oil change...

I had to go back a couple times to confirm.....lol

oh yeah, avatar looks good

jjsosnowski
02-05-2005, 10:49 PM
3 quarts to 50 hrs is usually just a rough guide. IF you are really concerened you could pull spark plugs and compare them. If you have a hole that's not firing correctly you should be able to isolate it. You could also pull an oil sample and have it anilized for wear. Most of the major oil companies do offer this. Better yet you could run a compression check. Most auto parts stores offer an inexpensive test kit. If you have a broken oil control ring you should be able to find it.I have worked on ,too many to count small v-8 engines with alot worse oil consumption than that. I am a field tech. for caterpillar. and most of the engines I work on are 10 x's the size. But all engines work under the same basic principles.Good luck and keep us posted.

EricB
02-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Jim;
Make sure your oil consumption issue is documented with your dealer. This provides back-up information should the problem not get better. I would somewhat agree that 3 qts in 80 hrs seems excessive, but (as jjsosnowski said) some engines take longer to seat rings.
I have delt with this issue in the past, and I also agree with the dealer as long as it is subsiding, wait and see where it ends up. I would actually watch it all the way to 150 hrs. before I would request action from the dealer.
Keep record of your fuel consumption also. This will allow them to calculate the load on the engine. Oil consumption is based on lbs/fuel consumed.
Bottom line is keep an eye on it and keep good records. This will provide you with good documentation that will be hard to dispute.

X-45
06-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Jim;
Make sure your oil consumption issue is documented with your dealer. This provides back-up information should the problem not get better. I would somewhat agree that 3 qts in 80 hrs seems excessive, but (as jjsosnowski said) some engines take longer to seat rings.
I have delt with this issue in the past, and I also agree with the dealer as long as it is subsiding, wait and see where it ends up. I would actually watch it all the way to 150 hrs. before I would request action from the dealer.
Keep record of your fuel consumption also. This will allow them to calculate the load on the engine. Oil consumption is based on lbs/fuel consumed.
Bottom line is keep an eye on it and keep good records. This will provide you with good documentation that will be hard to dispute.
I own an X-45 with a MCX 350 and have added three quarts in 21 hours. The first two was within the first 10 hour period and the third was at 21 hours. I hope this is normal.

WakePowell
06-23-2005, 01:02 PM
MYMC-Indicated that there is a recall/revision to the Mastercraft Owners Manual in regards to the oil type specification. For the L-18 the recommended oil is 40W. This is due to the oil consumption being experienced in the big block engine.

tex
06-23-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm at about 3 beers for every hour. That's almost 600 beers on my boat!

Engine Nut
06-23-2005, 03:20 PM
I have an 04 X10 with the MCX powerplant. The owners manual says oil comsumption can be high for the first 50 hours. I've changed my oil at 20 and 50 hours. I am now at around 80 hours and over the short life of my motor I have had to put in about 3 quarts of oil to keep it full. I am using the manufacture reccomended 15-40 oil and performing the checks in the water with the motor hot. No signs of leaks,smell or white smoke. Consumption seams to be decreasing slowly but 3 quarts seems like alot of oil to have to add in 80 hours. The dealer says that its a high performance motor and as long as it is decreasing it is normal and should be ok. Should I be concerned? How much should be considered excessive during the new break in period?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim

Oil consumption is a tricky issue but we generally do not get too excited about it till the engine has 100-150 hours. We have a general guideline from GM that says on a 5.7L engine, cunsumption of a quart every 18-20 hours is not considered excessive. It generally talkes a pretty long time to break in a ski engine. They typically run pretty cold compared to a car or truck and generally see an excessive amounts of idle time (below 1000 RPM). We look at recorded data in the ECM when an engine comes back or an ECM comes in for recalibration and typically see 1/2 of the engine's total run time at below 1000 RPM ... which is really tough on the engine. One of the best things you can do for your engines is to get off the slalom course once in a while and open it up to get it good and warm. Your engine will thank you.

Engine Nut

Jim
06-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Engine Nut,

Thanks for the info. Just got back from a week in Havasu. Put 21 hours on fresh oil and an easy 150 miles on the boat. According to the dipstick, it appears to only have consumed a tad more than a 1/4 quart. Seems like comsumption is dropping slowly.