PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

cmack
05-25-2007, 05:58 PM
I just wanted to say this as we go into Memorial Day weekend.

To all the Veterans on TT -- Thank you very much for you sacrifice to Ensure our Freedoms!

A good write up on Memorial Day.
http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

Taps.mp3
http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/images/taps.mp3

Traditional observance of Memorial day has diminished over the years. Many Americans nowadays have forgotten the meaning and traditions of Memorial Day. At many cemeteries, the graves of the fallen are increasingly ignored, neglected. Most people no longer remember the proper flag etiquette for the day. While there are towns and cities that still hold Memorial Day parades, many have not held a parade in decades. Some people think the day is for honoring any and all dead, and not just those fallen in service to our country.

To help re-educate and remind Americans of the true meaning of Memorial Day, the "National Moment of Remembrance" resolution was passed on Dec 2000 which asks that at 3 p.m. local time, for all Americans "To voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a Moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to 'Taps."

The Moment of Remembrance is a step in the right direction to returning the meaning back to the day. What is needed is a full return to the original day of observance. Set aside one day out of the year for the nation to get together to remember, reflect and honor those who have given their all in service to their country.

But what may be needed to return the solemn, and even sacred, spirit back to Memorial Day is for a return to its traditional day of observance. Many feel that when Congress made the day into a three-day weekend in with the National Holiday Act of 1971, it made it all the easier for people to be distracted from the spirit and meaning of the day. As the VFW stated in its 2002 Memorial Day address: "Changing the date merely to create three-day weekends has undermined the very meaning of the day. No doubt, this has contributed greatly to the general public's nonchalant observance of Memorial Day."

Chief
05-25-2007, 08:02 PM
True True, Americans take this wonderful country for granted. I remember my dad telling me about his return to the states from Vietnam (after his third tour), he was spit on and call some horrible things. I'm glad that now Americans appreciate the sacrifice the military makes.

I am just short of eighteen years in the Navy and the time has passed quickly and look forward to entering the civilian world in a couple of years and I'm pretty terrified of the transition but it has felt good to serve and encourage every young red blooded American to consider the benefits of an "all volunteer military". If it's only for one tour it’s a good deal to teach you discipline and to appreciate this great country!

God bless all that serve and who have made the ultimate sacrifice so all Americans can live free!

Maristar210
05-25-2007, 09:32 PM
I salute,
I applaud,
I respect,
I honor...

Every last one who has served and especially those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

I put my money where my mouth is and sent BRIeod some gifts for an auction for a fallen soldier's family. I never asked one question. I sent the items the next day.

I support our troops. I support our President, right or wrong, I respect the office. I stop. I pause. I think. I tear and think of the families.

Most of all. I love the country I live in and I, unlike many idiots, I apprecitate the freedom I enjoy.

atlfootr
05-25-2007, 09:43 PM
I salute
I applaud
I respect
I honorEvery last one who has served and especially those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

(I) support our troops and fly the US FLAG Proudly :D

Willski
05-25-2007, 10:48 PM
A resounding yes. I'm not very old (35), but I think that unfortunately the further we get from what people think was the last official war, the less they appreciate their freedom and the sacrifices that gave us that freedom. I applaud all of our armed forces and what they do for us.

atlfootr
05-26-2007, 09:24 AM
ALL Americans who tread their feet on US soil, DISPLAY THE FLAG this weekend ... don't forget how you got here.

T Scott
05-26-2007, 11:34 AM
ALL Americans who tread their feet on US soil, DISPLAY THE FLAG this weekend ... don't forget how you got here.

My flag is proudly hanging outside right now. Thanks to all those that serve and have died for this great country.

cmack
05-26-2007, 11:48 AM
I put my money where my mouth is and sent BRIeod some gifts for an auction for a fallen soldier's family. I never asked one question. I sent the items the next day.

I did not see this post -- Is it too late?

ProTour X9
05-26-2007, 01:13 PM
God bless America and those who fight for our freedom.:worthy: :worthy: :wavey:

Maybe we all should have flag avatars this weekend:twocents:

Maristar210
05-26-2007, 01:40 PM
I did not see this post -- Is it too late?

Chris I don't think it's too late. PM Brieod and maybe he can let us know.

fintek9
05-26-2007, 11:04 PM
DIDO, you guys said it. staight up.....

TMCNo1
05-27-2007, 07:44 AM
God bless America and those who fight for our freedom.:worthy: :worthy: :wavey:

Maybe we all should have flag avatars this weekend:twocents:

You can't read the words in white!

ProTour X9
05-27-2007, 09:04 AM
You can't read the words in white!

Can you read it now? How 'bout now? 1st or 2nd (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=350654&postcount=9).........:D

atlfootr
05-27-2007, 03:32 PM
ALL Americans who tread their feet on US soil, DISPLAY THE FLAG this weekend ... don't forget how you got here.Here's OUR contribution :D

atlfootr
05-27-2007, 03:32 PM
And this ...

Jesus_Freak
05-28-2007, 03:50 AM
Wonderful thread. I had a massive family presence in various wars, and cannot say enough that I thank them and you.

atlfootr
05-28-2007, 02:57 PM
It's NOT TOO LATE, to show fellow tmtalkers your patriotism by displaying your USA FLAG!
Weither it's on YOUR boat, dock, or planted in the yard on a flag pole ... we'd :love: to sea it !

JKTX21
05-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/JKTX21/DSC01664.jpg

atlfootr
05-28-2007, 03:15 PM
ThanksVery :cool: the whole neighborhood .... was there anyone that refused to display a flag?
Brought to mind the idiot(s) in MA, that took all the flags from townsquare and burned 'em :rant:
That S.O.B. should have the same done to himself as well :rolleyes:

JKTX21
05-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Very :cool: the whole neighborhood .... was there anyone that refused to display a flag?
Brought to mind the idiot(s) in MA, that took all the flags from townsquare and burned 'em :rant:
That S.O.B. should have the same done to himself as well :rolleyes:

Well... there were some Cubans on the corner... just kidding.

Someone from the home owners assoc. did it, I guess if someone has a problem with it... then get the heck out of America! :D

atlfootr
05-28-2007, 03:53 PM
I was jus' flipp'n thur the channels and caught an old C-SPAN Show aired 3/26/07 regarding topic Veterans Memorial ...
Have any of YOU been there?

Farmer Ted
05-28-2007, 07:07 PM
All you guys rock!

I've got almost 21 years in the Air Force and it's nice to see people who truley appreciate what our servicemen and their families do for our country.

FT

ProTour X9
05-28-2007, 08:43 PM
I was jus' flipp'n thur the channels and caught an old C-SPAN Show aired 3/26/07 regarding topic Veterans Memorial ...
Have any of YOU been there?

I was there last year TODAY, right on Memorial Day, there were a bunch of bikers in the way.:cool: :o

atlfootr
05-28-2007, 09:34 PM
I was there last year TODAY, right on Memorial Day, there were a bunch of bikers in the way.:cool: :oSo I'm kinda like guess'n, you didn't ask 'em to get thehell out 'ta the way so you could read the names 8p
:uglyhamme