PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Trailer Brakes Won't Disengage While Backing Up

Maristar210
05-25-2007, 06:22 PM
I have to back my trailer into the garage and in order to get them to diengage in reverse I have to go foward and backward several times until it finally releases.

Where is the GD mechanism and does it just need lube or WTH is going on?

I have never been so GD mad. I would like to permanently disconnect them with a GD hammer as well.

I need a beer....

JKTX21
05-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Do you have surge brakes or electric brakes?

Maristar210
05-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Do you have surge brakes or electric brakes?

Surge sorry......

JKTX21
05-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Isn't there a piece you have to jam into the actuator to keep this from happening? This is the piece for my UFP actuator.

http://www.dhmtrailers.com/online/product.php?productid=883&cat=133&page=2

Maristar210
05-25-2007, 06:35 PM
I don't know. The special adapter is suposed to disengage the GD brakes when you put the truck in reverse.

You like the smell of burning rubber and the sight of a 225# pi$$ed off Polish man? AAArggggg!!!!

TMCNo1
05-25-2007, 06:43 PM
You may have a bad connection to the backup lights and the solenoid is not opening up to allow the mastercylinder to collapse to release the pressure from the system. Have someone get in the vehicle and go from neutral to reverse slowly several times and you listen at the actuator for the solenoid to click. If it is not clicking, the solenoid is not operating correctly. The solenoid may have failed if the wiring is working. You can always check the wiring with a OHM meter or test light too.

Mag_Red
05-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Welcome to the club Steve!!!! My GD brakes locked up one week-end when backing the boat into the storage shed. Keep pulling forward, like you did, to the point it still wouldn't release and I had no more room to pull forward as I was almost at the other row of buildings. Talk about MAD! This was at 7 PM on a hot Summer day and all I wanted to do was start my 2 1/2 hour drive home.

Maristar210
05-25-2007, 06:56 PM
You may have a bad connection to the backup lights and the solenoid is not opening up to allow the mastercylinder to collapse to release the pressure from the system. Have someone get in the vehicle and go from neutral to reverse slowly several times and you listen at the actuator for the solenoid to click. If it is not clicking, the solenoid is not operating correctly. The solenoid may have failed if the wiring is working. You can always check the wiring with a OHM meter or test light too.

Thanks TMC. I'll check it out. With a GD Sledge Hammer....

MAG
I had already unhooked the trailer and ws just trying to roll the trailer back another foot by hand. Sweating Pushing and Cussing. Hooked it back up to the truck and to go back and forth. Remember I wanted to move a foot further into the garage to clear the door. A GD foot.

Had a great day on the water here. We were the only ones on the water for at least two hours. Water was 74 and the air was 73. with 5 MPH winds makes for some nice butter.

I have had two beers and I'm thinking about number three :D

snakeoil
05-25-2007, 06:59 PM
sounds like the fetzer valve.

Mag_Red
05-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks TMC. I'll check it out. With a GD Sledge Hammer....

MAG
I had already unhooked the trailer and ws just trying to roll the trailer back another foot by hand. Sweating Pushing and Cussing. Hooked it back up to the truck and to go back and forth. Remember I wanted to move a foot further into the garage to clear the door. A GD foot.

Had a great day on the water here. We were the only ones on the water for at least two hours. Water was 74 and the air was 73. with 5 MPH winds makes for some nice butter.

I have had two beers and I'm thinking about number three :D I say go for it! When I had my little ordeal, it was about 90 degrees and the cooler was empty!:mad:

Maristar210
05-25-2007, 07:02 PM
sounds like the fetzer valve.

Funny....

TMC
UMP
Me &
a select few others are the only ones allowed to be funny on here. Don't make me put the damn helmet on :D

snakeoil
05-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Funny....

TMC
UMP
Me &
a select few others are the only ones allowed to be funny on here. Don't make me put the damn helmet on :D

you say you way 225. I can take you.

east tx skier
05-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Funny....

TMC
UMP
Me &

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/P1010005-5.jpg

So when is UMP going to be funny?

Maristar210
05-25-2007, 07:09 PM
you say you way 225. I can take you.

LOL

You are not new around here I can tell and never underestimate your adversaries. It is a foolish maneuver.

BTW welcome aboard RIC

snakeoil
05-25-2007, 07:10 PM
LOL

You are not new around here I can tell and neve underestimate your adversaries. It is a foolish maneuver.

BTW welcome aboard RIC
huh? you type like you're tanked

Maristar210
05-25-2007, 07:12 PM
huh? you type like you're tanked

Not tanked. I'm just playin with ya. I'm working on being tanked but it'll take quite a few.

Are you really at Belle Isle????

snakeoil
05-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Belle Isle is a spoof on Fletch. Get it? Another guy on here asked if I liked fletch so I changed my location based on my swamp locale

Maristar210
05-25-2007, 07:14 PM
So when is UMP going to be funny?

Good Point.... LOL

snakeoil
05-25-2007, 07:15 PM
wait, you are the guy with the computer in the garage

TMCNo1
05-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Ya'll don't go dissing us tomfoolery guys, cause Steve and I will go "Prop" on ya!

I'z doing a balancing act here, cause my mama never dropped me on the top of my head and it wasn't flat up there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The prop was heavy but the price was light, $59 for a used OJ 13X12 x 1"!!!!!!

Maristar210
05-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Belle Isle is a spoof on Fletch. Get it? Another guy on here asked if I liked fletch so I changed my location based on my swamp locale

Oh Sorry - I missed that.

Are you the one in leweeziana?

snakeoil
05-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Oh Sorry - I missed that.

Are you the one in leweeziana?
LOL no, it's Looosyana

Maristar210
05-25-2007, 07:26 PM
LOL no, it's Looosyana

Oh yeah.

Did I mention I love creole?

TMCNo1
05-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Oh yeah.

Did I mention I love creole?

Don't let your better half find out about her! They hate to compete with other women, DONCHANO!

Harvey
05-25-2007, 07:56 PM
I have to back my trailer into the garage and in order to get them to diengage in reverse I have to go foward and backward several times until it finally releases.

Where is the GD mechanism and does it just need lube or WTH is going on?

I have never been so GD mad. I would like to permanently disconnect them with a GD hammer as well.

I need a beer....

I had the same problem. The trailer plug will not go all the way into the reciever on the truck. Grease it up and it should go in easier.

cmack
05-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Maristar Did you get things taken care of?

I had a similar problem with the brand new trailer. It turned out that I had pinched the brake line when I unfolded the tongue. It kept the brakes locked regardless of anything else. Once I folded the tongue back and moved the line -- all was ok. Not sure if anyone mentioned this.