PDA

View Full Version : question on cigarette lighter

buffskier
05-25-2007, 05:38 PM
I have an 84 S & S and the dash does not have an accessory hook up. I have occasionally attached an inverter directly to the battery, but would like to put in a cig lighter in the dash. Mostly for spotlights, but also a few other apps.

Any reason that I should not put a 1 1/8" in hole in the dash and proceed?

Overton's has a chrome one that matches (or comes close in the photo)to the rest of my gauges and for $10.00 I will take a chance and order it.

Which wire under the dash should I clip into? Does it matter where I derive the power from? Anything else I should know?

Thanks to the forum in advance

TMCNo1
05-25-2007, 06:28 PM
I have an 84 S & S and the dash does not have an accessory hook up. I have occasionally attached an inverter directly to the battery, but would like to put in a cig lighter in the dash. Mostly for spotlights, but also a few other apps.

Any reason that I should not put a 1 1/8" in hole in the dash and proceed?

Overton's has a chrome one that matches (or comes close in the photo)to the rest of my gauges and for $10.00 I will take a chance and order it.

Which wire under the dash should I clip into? Does it matter where I derive the power from? Anything else I should know?

Thanks to the forum in advance

I put a power outlet on our '89 for 12v power applications and tied it into the switched ignition positive pigtail that was under the dash and to a common ground pigtail under the dash. Install a inline fuse to protect it.

Willski
05-25-2007, 11:40 PM
My '84 has a lighter outlet. Was it an option? I don't think mine was added, but it is also not in the dash. It is basically at the driver's feet in the LH wall.

buffskier
05-31-2007, 02:40 PM
I definitely do not have one. I do have an 'anchor' switch on the panel that is fused and no obvious use. I can not imagine how that would work on my boat.

TMCNo1
05-31-2007, 02:49 PM
I definitely do not have one. I do have an 'anchor' switch on the panel that is fused and no obvious use. I can not imagine how that would work on my boat.

Are you joking or are you serious by that remark.
The anchor switch is there to allow the stern light that you would use after dark to burn without the bow navigation light burning, if you would choose to anchor at night and is required on all boats.