PDA

View Full Version : Venting the Motor - Explosion???

psumerford
05-25-2007, 01:50 PM
I just purchased a 1985 PowerSlot...Stars & Stripes.

Help me out with the need to vent these motors. I was told to open the doghouse upon cranking and during warm-up...I was also told that if the boat is idling or cruising slowly to cut the blower on to vent the motor...when running up to speed, the blower can be cut off.

Is this correct? Overkill? Do I need to take more precautions? What about when fueling or during a cool-down after running? Is this risk a high-risk, low-risk - or should it be treaetd as a high-risk regardless of what it actually is?

I have a 10-year old and a 5-year old and the idead of opening the doghouse during a warnup can be scary with the moving parts, but I guess they can wait on the dock.

Any help, tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated. I haven't owned a boat in 23 years, so I need some help.

JKTX21
05-25-2007, 01:58 PM
I think it's a good idea to use the blower. Someone had an explosion at some point in time I'm sure. I open the engine cover on my boat when starting and keep it propped open while in storage. That way I won't inadvertantly forget and fire the motor while it's been closed for a month.

shepherd
05-25-2007, 02:10 PM
If you have a properly installed and operating blower, you shouldn't need to open the engine cover and leave it open while you start and warm up the engine - as long as you run the blower for a few minutes before you crank.

But I always do a quick visual "pre-flight" check under the engine cover before I crank it the first time out for the day. But then I close the cover before I start the engine.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-25-2007, 02:54 PM
I had a late 80's and always had the blower on for a few minutes before start up, and a few minutes after.
I didn't lift the cover unless I was checking for water and/or doing service. A good reliable blower is key.

JKTX21
05-25-2007, 02:58 PM
If you have a properly installed and operating blower, you shouldn't need to open the engine cover and leave it open while you start and warm up the engine - as long as you run the blower for a few minutes before you crank.

My blower works real good... the vent line is broken however. I usually have the cover open checking fluids before we set sail anyway.

G-man
05-25-2007, 03:02 PM
It is generlly reccomended 5 monutes before starting. a lot of people turn on when they first hit the boat ramp. By the time they are in the water its safe to start it up.

JKTX21
05-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Speaking of, what kind of fumes are we talking about here that could cause an explosion? Residual gas in the throttle body or carb?

TMCNo1
05-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Speaking of, what kind of fumes are we talking about here that could cause an explosion? Residual gas in the throttle body or carb?

Engines can vent gas fumes out of carbs and intakes along with the possibility of fuel leaks and gas fumes are heavier than air and will sink to the lowest areas in the bilge. A spark or source of fire can ignite these fumes and create a explosion, therefore removing the fumes and replacing with fresh air is important before cranking and during slows speed operation and at idle.

sanjuan23
05-25-2007, 03:38 PM
By the time I open the doghouse remember where I last put the plug turn on the blower etc. I am pretty sure that the fumes have moved on. If we have been floating for a while I will generally run it while everyone is piling back in.

TMCNo1
05-25-2007, 03:38 PM
My blower works real good... the vent line is broken however. I usually have the cover open checking fluids before we set sail anyway.

Repair or replace the vent line as soon as possible for you and your passanges safety. What are you thinking anyway, leaving it broken and in disrepair. After making that statement do you think anyone would want to feel sorry for you if you get your azz blown apart!

Bruce
05-25-2007, 03:40 PM
My blower stays on even after I'm cranked, running etc. Reason: I can't remember to turn it of! CRS.

JKTX21
05-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Repair or replace the vent line as soon as possible for you and your passanges safety. What are you thinking anyway, leaving it broken and in disrepair. After making that statement do you think anyone would want to feel sorry for you if you get your azz blown apart!

Down Harold down!

I usually open the cover if the boat has been sitting a while, trust me I am mindful. I'll post up pictures if I happen to get my azz blown up.

TMCNo1
05-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Down Harold down!

I usually open the cover if the boat has been sitting a while, trust me I am mindful. I'll post up pictures if I happen to get my azz blown up.

I've seen boats and pictures of boats where the persons aboard didn't live to press the shutter button. I'd just not prefer to read about you in the news as one who didn't survive the ordeal!

JKTX21
05-25-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm on it!

What size vent line is on a '96? I want to say it looks like 3"?

TMCNo1
05-25-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm on it!

What size vent line is on a '96? I want to say it looks like 3"?
3", correct!

Maristar210
05-25-2007, 05:30 PM
A good reliable blower is key.

I have one of those. She likes long walks on the beach and enjoys traveling and is a moderate drinker :D

JKTX21
05-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

TMCNo1
05-25-2007, 05:48 PM
I have one of those. She likes long walks on the beach and enjoys traveling and is a moderate drinker :D

I think I have seen one of those! Can you get replacements? I need a 5' 6" one as a spare, just in case!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :D

jraben8
05-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Where are you at? I think that I have some left over.... Blower hose that is...

JKTX21
05-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Where are you at? I think that I have some left over.... Blower hose that is...

Bummer, I just picked some up from West Marine this weekend. Appreciate it though!

bucky
05-28-2007, 01:48 PM
A neighbor on D'arbonne lake in La. had this happen. Just a slight fuel drip he knew about but didn't fix on his jet boat. No one was hurt, as it was more of a flash than an explosion (in this instance), but he lost 2 boats, a boathouse and storage, and the dock.