PDA

View Full Version : Urethane wheel on trailer prop guard?

prostar205
02-05-2005, 01:15 AM
Has anyone found urethane replacement wheels for the cast iron wheel mounted to the underside of the prop guard? I don't want to scrape grooves in my driveway. This is on a 2002 tandem trailer.

Thanks.

Professor
02-05-2005, 08:40 AM
I think there was a thread about this?
Check out this thread (titled - Drag Wheels)
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=130&page=1&pp=10&highlight=%22poly+wheels%3A

prostar205
02-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Professor -

I have looked thru that posting before and even went to the link they have for urethane wheels. The problem is it does not appear that anyone has teh correct size to replace the stock mastercraft cast iron drag wheels. I need a wheel that has a 2" diameter and is slightly less than 2" long. Most of the urethane casters I have seen start at a 3" diameter.

Anyone else with info?????

ktn_cmu
02-07-2005, 09:28 AM
These guys have got to have something...

http://www.algood-casters.com/catalogue/Algood_Catalogue_Y2K2.pdf

east tx skier
02-07-2005, 02:42 PM
They aren't urethane, but www.pakindustries, may have a stainless steel replacement. I've been there with the driveway scraping. A lift kit might be a good solution for you.

prostar205
02-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Ok - I'm striking out on finding a urethane wheel to replace the cast iron drag wheels. However, I got to looking at the current metal drag wheels and they are almost the same size as skateboard wheels. Has anyone replaced their cast iron drag wheels with skate board wheels? If so, what type of skate board wheel should would you suggest?

Thanks,

PS205

G-man
02-28-2005, 06:10 PM
I don't think a skateboard wheel can take the weight or the lateral stress of turning. I just want to check when your boat is on the trailer and hooked to your tow vehicle is the tongue of the trailer leval when everything is parked on leval ground? If it is angling up the slightest it will really get the back end of the trailer down.

milkmania
02-28-2005, 06:11 PM
what about inline skate wheels with spacers/bushings???

or a pair of them per caster....

east tx skier
02-28-2005, 06:26 PM
If you have driveway grade issues, There is a tremendous amount of force that goes onto those wheels (certainly enough to crush the cobblestone in my driveway). I'd be afraid that a skate wheel wouldn't be tough enough.

prostar205
03-18-2005, 12:05 AM
I think I have solved my problem. After searching every web site imagineable for urethane wheels that are 2" in diameter and 2" wide to replace the cast iron wheels on my 2002 trailer, I went to skateboard wheels. I bought the highest durometer skateboard wheel I could find, 101A. They are slightly over 2" in diameter, but are only 1.375" wide. I combined 2 wheels per side and had then milled down in our machine shop at work to the correct width. My machinist buddy even made hubs for the wheels out of derlin. I will be installing these this weekend and will post pictures.

Total cost: wheels $25, machining = 1/5 of Crown Royal, overall satisfaction of not scraping the crap out of my brand new aggregate driveway = priceless.

Pictures this weekend!!!!!!!!!

east tx skier
03-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Can't wait to see pictures. I think I'm 2" wide and 1" in diameter. Hard to match. Solution for me was a 2" lift on the trailer and a 5.25" drop on the tongue when I'm going up and down the driveway. It takes a little longer to change it out, but it's nice not scraping.

OHIOPRO205
03-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Did you try www.servicecaster.com they have about anything you would want.

prostar205
03-21-2005, 01:10 AM
As promised, here are some pics of the skateboard wheels I used to replace the cast iron versions on my trailer.

MarkP
03-21-2005, 01:42 PM
As promised, here are some pics of the skateboard wheels I used to replace the cast iron versions on my trailer.
Well, looks great. Let us know how the are working after several impacts..

Ric
03-21-2005, 01:49 PM
I think I have solved my problem. After searching every web site imagineable for urethane wheels that are 2" in diameter and 2" wide to replace the cast iron wheels on my 2002 trailer, I went to skateboard wheels. I bought the highest durometer skateboard wheel I could find, 101A. They are slightly over 2" in diameter, but are only 1.375" wide. I combined 2 wheels per side and had then milled down in our machine shop at work to the correct width. My machinist buddy even made hubs for the wheels out of derlin. I will be installing these this weekend and will post pictures.

Total cost: wheels $25, machining = 1/5 of Crown Royal, overall satisfaction of not scraping the crap out of my brand new aggregate driveway = priceless.

Pictures this weekend!!!!!!!!!
Anxious to hear how they perform for you
the delrin may break down before the wheels but that may be a cheap wear item for you.
I am not familiar with 101A, it's not really urethane is it? I would think urethane wouldnt handle the lateral stress that other plastics would?

prostar205
04-25-2005, 03:35 AM
I have had the boat out several times and have made impact with my driveway in the process. The new urethane drag wheels are working great. No more scraps and they have taken each impact without incident. I would highly recommend this change.

erkoehler
04-25-2005, 07:57 AM
What does your son use on his skateboard now?

rjfenger
05-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Just curious to know if those skateboard wheels are still working for you? Any other suggestions for the driveway scrapping issue?

prostar205
05-16-2006, 03:09 AM
rj -

The wheels are still intact after over a year. I highly recommend them.

Hemey5
05-16-2006, 10:09 AM
I found a guy that made me a set of wheels that are made of some type of hard plastic rubber material. They will wear over time, but eliminated all the scores on my driveway. They work great. He made them to the exact size of the factor cast iron wheels.
I try to take some pictures and post them.

Hemey

lakes Rick
05-18-2006, 08:18 PM
I attached a 1" strip of UHMW to the bottom of my prop guard. Two stainless allen head countersunk bolts hold this slippery green plastic and it glides over most everything.. My garage is under my house and I must make a sharp turn down a very steep driveway.. Stuff works great.. Got mine at Munnell & Sherrill, a mill and industrial supply house.

Rick

MarkP
06-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Prostar205, Can we get those photos again?? Thanks

Hey Travis

I donít know if anyone has found a wheel that will work in your application yet. My issue was with an older boat/trailer, (93 205), and I was unable to find anything with the poly coating smaller in diameter than 4Ē. Since I wasnít trying to fit a wheel into an existing bracket, as I think you are, I just made a bracket to mount a bigger wheel..

Good luck Travis, someone is going to come up with something thatís perfect!!

prostar205
06-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Mark -

Here is the only picture I have at work on my computer. I'll try to get more tomorrow.

MarkP
06-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks

Travis was asking me about my wheels and I thought yours would be more like what he needed for a newer boat.

prostar205
06-13-2006, 01:32 AM
Here are more pictures. My buddy at work made the delrin hub (the white piece).

MarkP
06-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Looks like they do the trick.

I wonder if Hemey5 is going to get back to us with photos and a source?? Maybe Iíll shoot him an email..

Ric
06-13-2006, 10:21 AM
looks good, you know, when you first described your setup I thought that you guys were making the actual wheels from delrin. That's why I thought they'd be sacrificial. Looks like you have a good setup

prostar205
06-13-2006, 03:26 PM
The wheels are from a skateboard shop with a 101 durometer. I had our machine shop at work put them in the lathe and mill them down to the correct thickness. I used 2 wheels in each location.

wtrjock
06-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Do the wheels leave any black marks? I like the idea!

prostar205
06-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Absolutely NO black marks at all. I have an exposed aggregate driveway.

Yes, I used 101 durometer skateboard wheels from a local skate, surf, wakeboard shop here in town. I think all four wheels were $25 total. I then had them milled to the correct thickness. The diameter of the wheels matched the OEM cast roller perfectly.

93ProStar205
05-14-2007, 04:10 PM
lakes Rick - does the UHMW work on a concrete driveway? Tired of ripping up the driveway and trying to avoid the additional overhang of wheels. Also, how long does it hold up? Have a 97 205 on a single axle trailer. Got any photos?

wtrjock
05-14-2007, 08:59 PM
I installed skateboard wheels on my trailer last year and they work GREAT! I did the same mod as above, but used some nylon spacers from Lowes for the bolt to go through. They hit my nice white driveway everytime I take my boat out and no black marks yet. I used them all last year, and they still look like brand new. I think that Mastercraft should put the skateboard wheels on all their trailers and get rid of those damn aluminum wheels.

I can take some pictures later if you would like.

I am off to the River!!! ;)

Travis

93ProStar205
05-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Pics would be great, thanks for offering.

duckguy
05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
wtrlock-u didnt need to do anymilling or anything and yeah post some pics

wtrjock
05-15-2007, 12:08 PM
I did have to modify. I milled with my bench grinder! ;) All 4 wheels needed to be thinner to fit between the bracket. I then drilled out the centers with a forschner bit so the nylon washers would fit. I will take them off and take some pictures tonight for you guys.

wtrjock
05-18-2007, 03:27 AM
Here are the pictures of the wheels:

http://www.bandts.com/mastercraft/propguardwheels1.jpg

http://www.bandts.com/mastercraft/propguardwheels2.jpg

http://www.bandts.com/mastercraft/propguardwheels3.jpg

http://www.bandts.com/mastercraft/propguardwheels4.jpg

h20_skidog
05-18-2007, 02:02 PM
I installed skateboard wheels on my trailer last year and they work GREAT! I did the same mod as above, but used some nylon spacers from Lowes for the bolt to go through. They hit my nice white driveway everytime I take my boat out and no black marks yet. I used them all last year, and they still look like brand new. I think that Mastercraft should put the skateboard wheels on all their trailers and get rid of those damn aluminum wheels.

I can take some pictures later if you would like.

I am off to the River!!! ;)

Travis
Travis, We can't see your "nice white driveway" in the above photos! :D

theDano
05-18-2007, 02:34 PM
That looks great WTRJock!!!

I see all the parts but one, the bracket that the bolt (shaft) attaches to. Did you make this bracket or was it already part of the trailer?

Very interested in this as I am tired of the scrapping!

wtrjock
05-18-2007, 09:08 PM
The 2005 trailer came with an aluminum roller already mounted. The aluminum roller worked fine to get my boat up the driveway, but left long silver stripes that drove me nuts, and made an awful sound. That is why I switched to the skateboard wheels. No sound, and no stripes.

I will take a close up picutre of the brackets and my WHITE driveway! ;)