PDA

View Full Version : Monster tower install

dpolen
05-25-2007, 07:59 AM
My new monster tower is supposed to arrive today, anybody have tips from your install experiences that might be good to know before I start...everything I've read leads me to believe this should be a fun project that is relatively straightforward. Going to measure 4 times, drill once.

JohnnyB
05-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Do some searches on tower install on this site. There are tips from installs others have done....

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=13408&highlight=tower+install

I couldn't a post I made summarizing the to-do list, but found this one.

Does Monster include backing plates for the mounts?

Chief
05-25-2007, 08:31 AM
My new monster tower is supposed to arrive today, anybody have tips from your install experiences that might be good to know before I start...everything I've read leads me to believe this should be a fun project that is relatively straightforward. Going to measure 4 times, drill once.

Chamfer all of your bolt holes! I used a 3/4 grinding stone bit for the drill for a nice clean chamfer.

JohnnyB
05-25-2007, 08:36 AM
For a chamfer I used my dremel and grinding stone bit.

I also put blue masking tape over the areas where the feet (about a square foot) would sit and made my marks on that. This also gives you some forgiveness on your fiberglass when you set it in place and move it around for fit. My ND tower had rubber feet on it......however, if yours does not, someone else suggested a towel over the ends of each of the legs for initial positioning.

LQ9Lover
05-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Bring some friends to help. The directions will tell you hang it from a tree but 3-4 other guys will help. Also go to the hardware store and get an extra drill bit - just like the size Monster Tower Supplies. It is used for the anchors to solidify the tower positioning. Oh, be sure you do break the drill bit off when drilling - I have seen it done and it is a bear to get it back out.

Good luck.

dpolen
05-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys...UPS web site says its out for delivery...can't wait to start work.

krra1
05-25-2007, 06:32 PM
If I remember correctly the directions say to drill in reverse. Double check. The directions can be printed from the web site before the tower arrives, that helped me gather together what was needed.
The most difficult part for me was the front legs. I needed to get under the steering wheel console on the drivers site and glove compartment on the passengers side. That required removing the carpeted paneling. Lost a bolt somewhere in there and need to get another. It will take a few hours but not rocket science. Have fun.

Farmer Ted
05-25-2007, 07:32 PM
I watched Wayne Hartford and his crew install a mini on my boat.

The first hole he drilled was a pilot hole maybe 3/8" wide

Then he countersunk (chamfered) the hole with a 1 inch bit/stone, it might have been slightly bigger than 1 inch

Then he went back and drilled the final hole for the bolt so the final hole went through fiberglass only, no gel coat was touched upsizing the final hole.

Make sure you have a sharp bit and the position of the hole marked good.

beatle78
05-25-2007, 10:50 PM
I had a Monster installed by my BU dealer on my old boat. He said it was like a moving octupus to install..... I think the should have tightened up the 4 large main bolts snug (not tight) to keep the legs from wobbling all over the place.

dpolen
05-31-2007, 12:11 PM
I didn't get a chance to install this last weekend as I had hoped...lost my helper as well. Think I can possibly install this myself while the boat is slipped in the water? I can support the tower temporarily on top of my bimini to aid...am I nuts or should I call up the dealer and pay $700 for install. I just want the damn thing on the boat at this point...taking up valuable space in my garage.

Brazos Bum
05-31-2007, 12:24 PM
I didn't get a chance to install this last weekend as I had hoped...lost my helper as well. Think I can possibly install this myself while the boat is slipped in the water? I can support the tower temporarily on top of my bimini to aid...am I nuts or should I call up the dealer and pay $700 for install. I just want the damn thing on the boat at this point...taking up valuable space in my garage.
It's probably not impossible to do with one person, but I wouldn't want to try it. I had three people at the critical moments.

I'm not sure handed enough to even remotely consider doing this in a slip. Bring your scuba gear because you will definitely drop something overboard somewhere along the way

JKTX21
05-31-2007, 12:41 PM

I agree with BrazosBum, we had 2-3 people when we did my buddies Monster Tower. I think it would be a headache trying to install with one person and without something solid to hoist the tower from.

beatle78
05-31-2007, 12:42 PM
can't get helpers?

I bet you never have a shortage of people who want to get towed behind your boat!

They just volunteered!!! No help = no tow

KnoxX2
05-31-2007, 12:46 PM
can't get helpers?

I bet you never have a shortage of people who want to get towed behind your boat!

Very Well put:D

dpolen
05-31-2007, 12:52 PM
can't get helpers?

No kidding...my friend just sent me an instant message about skiing on Sunday...told him I needed his help to "Fix" the boat before we could go out.

dpolen
06-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Got the tower 95% installed last night in 25-30mph winds on the lake. What a pain in the ***, I seriously think I should have paid $700 to have the damn thing installed. We were lucky that no tools fell in the water, if only my battery on my dewalt drill could last long enough to get the anchor pins installed. Will post pics this weekend...looking good!

dpolen
06-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Wanted to share a couple pics of my install. I was lucky that I was able to make my existing bimini top work with the new monster tower.

wgwollet
06-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Good job, I like the tower, but don't the zero flex make a better looking tower for our boats....I have a Maristar too. Why did you pick that brand? was it price? design.....I want to look like the X-30......but don't know what I am doing yet.

dpolen
06-10-2007, 05:03 PM
tGood job, I like the tower, but don't the zero flex make a better looking tower for our boats....I have a Maristar too. Why did you pick that brand? was it price? design.....I want to look like the X-30......but don't know what I am doing yet.
I bought the monster because of price...the zero flex would have looked great, but I saved a lot by doing it this way. The research I did on the monster towers made me believe they had a pretty good product, and I was able to configure it to work pretty well for my setup. Not sure what year you have, but erkoehler has a used X-30 tower for sale that might work for you...I almost bought it, but needed to save some $.

beef
06-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Looks good. Nice job on the install.