PDA

View Full Version : starter issue #2

rock skier
05-25-2007, 01:39 AM
So I've got a little different issue with my starter. I went to start the boat today and it fired up but when the key went to the on position the starter motor kept spinning. I turned the key off which cut the motor but the starter motor kept running. It wouldn't stop until I unplugged the battery. Anyone had this problem before?

JimN
05-25-2007, 02:31 AM
It happens, usually some time after trying to start a motor with a dying battery. The contacts weld themselves together because of the excessive heat, created when excess current is drawn. Disconnect the cable from the starter and keep the ring terminal from touching any metal, then check for voltage on it, with the key in the OFF position.If it's still hot, look for the solenoid ahead of the starter and replace it. If there isn't one, have the starter repaired or replaced.

Willski
05-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Yep. I had the same thing a few years ago. I joked that for a few years I had a hard starting boat, then I couldn't get it to quit starting. I wasn't in the boat at the time. Thank god it was a friend of mine who knew what he was doing and pulled the wire off of the solenoid. Replaced the solenoid and problem solved.

OhioProstar
05-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Had the same problem that left me stranded miles from the dock. Ate the gears up in a place you don't want to be dead in the water....."do I hear a banjo playing"

Monte
05-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Had the same problem that left me stranded miles from the dock. Ate the gears up in a place you don't want to be dead in the water....."do I hear a banjo playing"

The Deliverance??????????
Sounds like the selenoid to me. NAPA 22.50... Last time I bought one..

rock skier
05-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Awesome, thanks for the help guys, gotta go get this done this morning as we're headed to lake chelan for the weekend this afternoon!

rock skier
05-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Boat is back in action! Thanks for the help everyone I'm outta here! :D

Willski
05-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Boat is back in action! Thanks for the help everyone I'm outta here! :D

Cool. Hope you have a good weekend with no further problems.