PDA

View Full Version : X-1 Tower Bolts

Rickkirch
05-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Ok is it just me or are others just waiting for the day when they drop one of the nice heavy tower bolts into the lake.

I am sure they don't float and they cost $80 for the large ones and $50 for the small. Has anyone lost them or better yet, found a solution for keeping them safe?

Looking forward to the long week end !!!

tex
05-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Why are you taking on and off while on the water?

Chief
05-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Ok is it just me or are others just waiting for the day when they drop one of the nice heavy tower bolts into the lake.

I am sure they don't float and they cost $80 for the large ones and $50 for the small. Has anyone lost them or better yet, found a solution for keeping them safe?

Looking forward to the long week end !!!

Never remove on the water! Only check for tightness since the possibility of vibrations may cause them to loosen. I've dropped them while installing in the driveway, but if you lose one then for the small ones you could find a allen head bolt of the same thread pitch and diameter for replacement. As for the big one that could take some backyard engineering.

Rickkirch
05-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Why are you taking on and off while on the water?

Need to lower the tower to get under a low bridge on the lake. Also will need to lower the tower until I get my Hoist Canopy raised.

tex
05-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Wow, all I can say is be careful. I've dropped mine in front of my house too many times!

Timbo126
05-24-2007, 05:36 PM
I dropped the bolt for my tower mirror just this week in to the lake.

dmayer84
05-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Maybe you can attach a safetly lanyard for them so that you dont loose them.

sand2snow22
05-24-2007, 05:49 PM
I constantly check to make sure they are snug, I've heard too many stories at my dealer of people losing theirs on the highway or on the water. Bumps and chop can loosen them pretty easily.......

Harvey
05-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Use two hands and.........be careful!!

I would suggest a lanyard of some sort. Might be able to drill a hole and put a loop of string in with a screw so that you can slip it over your hand before you start unscrewing it.

ridehype4life
05-24-2007, 11:44 PM
I've dropped the bolt for our tower mirror as well as these tiny white plastic pieces that allow the mirror to fit snugly into the bracket into the lake at our slip in the marina. It took a good hour of diving in the waters between the slips, which isn't my favorite thing to do, to find and retrieve them. No more removing screws of any type on the water ;)

Waketn
05-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Yea don't drink too much!!! I make sure as soon as they come off, they go in the cupholder Have a good weekend.

point1234
05-27-2007, 05:01 PM
I knew of someone that drilled a hole into the knob and put safety wire or something into the hole and then put the wire around the tower. They too had to take down the tower to put there boat under there canopy for there lift.

I too have lost two knobs for the mirror came loose and fell off while going down the road or into the water. Now I just take it off when I am about to head down the road and the knob goes into the cup holder.

ridehype4life
05-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Yes the tower mirror attachment knob does rattle loose quite a bit, on the water and driving down the road.