PDA

View Full Version : So you need some hook?

MYMC
05-24-2007, 12:11 PM
For some reason latley we have gotten tons of email and calls about hooking ProStars. I have not been as quick to respond as I should be since this is May in the boat business...but I did get some pictures that may help those of you looking to do this.

The pics are of a 2007 PS197 and yes we have added more hook to new boats as well as modifying boats that were built before the hook was in the mold.

Hope this helps...

MYMC
05-24-2007, 12:12 PM
From the back....

MYMC
05-24-2007, 12:13 PM
And the 3/4 view to give you an idea of the length of the hook...

east tx skier
05-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Good pics, Mike. Anyone reasonably close to DFW who is interested in hooking a boat, PM me and I can give you the name of the glass guy who will do it to spec for you.

G-man
05-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Why did new 197's need more hook??

Ric
05-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Why did new 197's need more hook?? In order to be that much better than a nautique. ;)

G-man
05-24-2007, 02:37 PM
In order to be that much better than a nautique. ;)

Give me a break, you pay over 40,000 and it's not right

shepherd
05-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Why did new 197's need more hook??

I was wondering the same thing :confused: :confused:

G-man
05-24-2007, 03:30 PM
I was wondering the same thing :confused: :confused:

THANK YOU !!!!

32offer
05-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Any idea how much $$$ this would cost? I have an '02 Prostar 197, upgraded from a '92 Prostar 190, so the wake is larger at 22-28 off, 36 mph. Does it make it that much better/worth the money?

east tx skier
05-24-2007, 04:16 PM
If I recall, about $700 for the hook. Then $199 plus install for the new rudder.

As for improvement, I've not skied the 1st Generation EVO, but supposedly, the slalom wake and tracking is improved. The downside is more drag, so consider the effect that has on top end and fuel economy.

MYMC
05-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Ever file a rudder? Hard to believe that you would have to do that to a $50,000 boat...it should be perfect...except some people don't want the rudder torque and others want more.

Just like the rudder some customers feel the need to massage the wakes of their boats. Other fall into the "if some hook was good, more must be better". The information was presented for those that want to tinker...don't read anymore into it than that!:cool:

east tx skier
05-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Heck, they used to come filed. What's this world coming to. ;)

Ric
05-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Give me a break, you pay over 40,000 and it's not right Man your buttons are easy :D

east tx skier
05-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Man your buttons are easy :D

Plus, you paid that much and had to drive a loaner for a year before you got your cutting board boat. Gman wasn't exactly spit balling there was he. 8p

I picture both of you laughing while you type. Especially since I know that no teak platform finish has ever been to Gman's satisfaction until he's had a chance to do his work on it.

Ric
05-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Plus, you paid that much and had to drive a loaner for a year before you got your cutting board boat. Gman wasn't exactly spit balling there was he. 8p

I picture both of you laughing while you type. Especially since I know that no teak platform finish has ever been to Gman's satisfaction until he's had a chance to do his work on it. Ya, I have told him many times before that I bought a world record towboat. and as you all know, I overpaid.

jkski
05-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Adding hook is great, just be aware that there is a downside. Every time you provide more lift to the back of the boat, it drives the nose a bit further down, which causes additional spray to come out the sides and reduces top speed. I only say this from having experienced it first hand. The overall wake does improve somewhat, however, if you are using the boat for more than just slalom (booming and footin' mainly) be sure to think long and hard about it.

3event
05-24-2007, 06:33 PM
JKSKI, how's the footing on your 2005? Do you need a boom extension? Every year I toy with the possibility of hooking my 2002 hull. We ski, foot, and board. My boat currently tops out at 47.2mph so I figure I have a couple to give. If I lost more than 2-3mph I would probably be disappointed.

If anyone has SE WI , Northern IL suggestions on who might do the fiberglass work, please advise!

TMCNo1
05-24-2007, 08:19 PM

I picture both of you laughing while you type. Especially since I know that no teak platform finish has ever been to Gman's satisfaction until he's had a chance to do his work on it.
And I was Gmans teacher, boy, my students are out changing the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

rodltg2
05-24-2007, 08:26 PM
mine w/ hook skiis great...kept the t rudder since it tracks so good tight now i dont want to mess with it. only complaint about my 01 ps 190 is that its really weight senstive compared to others. wake is flat and soft .

jkski
05-24-2007, 11:03 PM
JKSKI, how's the footing on your 2005? Do you need a boom extension? Every year I toy with the possibility of hooking my 2002 hull. We ski, foot, and board. My boat currently tops out at 47.2mph so I figure I have a couple to give. If I lost more than 2-3mph I would probably be disappointed.

If anyone has SE WI , Northern IL suggestions on who might do the fiberglass work, please advise!

My first PS197 was a 2002 and I had my dealer add the hook and also kept the T-rudder. With that set-up I actually need 2 18inch extensions to get away from the spray at footin' speeds, and that was with a fat sac loaded on the side opposite the boom. If you take the T-rudder off and run a standard rudder, then you can get away with 1 18inch extension and I would still advise weighting the opposite side of the boat (be it with people or a fat sac). If you do this, it lifts the boom side of the boat higher out of the water and sends the spray directly behind you.
As far as top speed, in my 2002, I was running the 310 with a 1:1 tranny, and prior to hooking I could get 43mph, and after hooking I got 41 if people were sitting towards the front of the boat. Put a couple of people in the back and I'd get 42, nearly 43. Now, with the 2005, I have the MCX and a 1:1 and hold a pretty solid 43/44mph. With the 2005, you still need the extension as well.
Hope this helps.

east tx skier
05-25-2007, 11:19 AM
And I was Gmans teacher, boy, my students are out changing the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's not the way he tells it! He says you ripped off his idea to apply it with the palm of your hand. ;)

TMCNo1
05-25-2007, 11:52 AM
That's not the way he tells it! He says you ripped off his idea to apply it with the palm of your hand. ;)

Gman can say anything he wants, his platforms are killer and he passed the final exam! As long as he does his homework, I won't lower his grade for the semester.:D

rodltg2
05-25-2007, 12:23 PM
i havent checked my top speed, i dont care really. lake is too short to get that fast anyway. i dont seem to get much side spray , but i dont barefoot with the boom either. the only down side of the T rudder i see right now is turning around the island. other than that its tracks so good , that i dont want to change a thing.

Andyg
05-25-2007, 01:01 PM
If anyone wants an 03 rudder without the wing I have one in my garage. How about $25 and you pay shipping? I upgraded to the 06 rudder on my 2003 last summer so it has just been in the garage since then.

G-man
05-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Gman can say anything he wants, his platforms are killer and he passed the final exam! As long as he does his homework, I won't lower his grade for the semester.:D

I still have the MC show platform ready to be made into glass topped table. I also have a 209 platform to be made into a bar top. It will be called the Teak-E Bar of course.

The platform on the boat has only been sanded down to 800 grit so there is more to go on that one.

skisix@38
05-25-2007, 02:32 PM

I'm a little late to this thread but that's funny! I don't care who ya R, that's funny. ROFLMAO!

Ric
07-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Give me a break, you pay over 40,000 and it's not right There is a shift lever on the new N for changing the wake

rodltg2
07-23-2007, 06:37 PM
yep it does, and it makes a good trick wake and decent wakeboard wake out of an awesome slalom wake.

Sodar
07-23-2007, 06:44 PM
My girlfriends '06 N has the Hydro-Gate.... works very well.

If I may, I would like to ask a question. What if the hook was removed and a simple 1" x 3' peice of stainless steel was added along the transom, that could be lowered for slalom and raised for wakeboarding, would you get the same effect as the hook for slalom runs? If so, why doesn't MC do something similar to the Hydro-gate? Seems like footers and boarders would love the increased wake and speed that the lack of hook provides.

Ric
07-23-2007, 07:20 PM
My girlfriends '06 N has the Hydro-Gate.... works very well.

If I may, I would like to ask a question. What if the hook was removed and a simple 1" x 3' peice of stainless steel was added along the transom, that could be lowered for slalom and raised for wakeboarding, would you get the same effect as the hook for slalom runs? If so, why doesn't MC do something similar to the Hydro-gate? Seems like footers and boarders would love the increased wake and speed that the lack of hook provides. I can answer that.... People would say that MC offers a 40k boat that isn't right so they added a stainless strip to change the wake.:rolleyes: