PDA

View Full Version : Choppers

Jwhitsett1129
05-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Any helicopter pilots out there? I have been thinking about pursuing a lifelong dream and am curious to know if everything that I read about a certain school is just slander.

TX.X-30 fan
05-24-2007, 11:08 AM
They're not that hard to learn to ride. :D :D ;)

Oh crap you meant the other chopper, sorry. :noface:

mrG
05-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Any helicopter pilots out there? I have been thinking about pursuing a lifelong dream and am curious to know if everything that I read about a certain school is just slander.

A friend of mine is going through the Professional Helicopter Pilot Course at Silver State Helicopters in San Jose, Ca. He recently passed his Private Pilot test and is working on his Commercial license. He flies the Robbinson R22.

I think he went through Silver State to obtain financing for his training and hopes to get his start instructing there after he completes the training at least until he can get some experience and get a better job.

He has nothing but good things to say about the training program at Silver State.

My advice is, especially if you are young, is to do it now. If you are passionate about it you'll never have a boring day at work again! Good luck.

JKTX21
05-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Helicopters are the real deal. I'd love to learn to fly one as well.

uawaterskier
05-24-2007, 10:36 PM
i get to look at blackhawks at work all the time

wiltok
05-25-2007, 12:00 AM
I am fixed wing pilot that has always dreamed of flying heli's. My problem is the cost - I don't remember what the hourly rate was (rental) but I think it was like $200 wet. For that much coin I could get a new boat, pimp it out, etc...

mrG
05-25-2007, 10:02 AM
I am fixed wing pilot that has always dreamed of flying heli's. My problem is the cost - I don't remember what the hourly rate was (rental) but I think it was like $200 wet. For that much coin I could get a new boat, pimp it out, etc...

Flying helo's as a hobby would be an expensive one. At the cost of hundreds of $ per hour, most of us couldn't justify the expense and staying current would be a concern. Unless you want to fly them just for the thrill, it makes more sense to fly fixed wing where you can load up an airplane with more than one person and fly more than 90 mph.

I think the original poster was considering a career in helicopters which is a whole different game.

Jwhitsett1129
05-25-2007, 10:54 AM
A friend of mine is going through the Professional Helicopter Pilot Course at Silver State Helicopters in San Jose, Ca. He recently passed his Private Pilot test and is working on his Commercial license. He flies the Robbinson R22.

I think he went through Silver State to obtain financing for his training and hopes to get his start instructing there after he completes the training at least until he can get some experience and get a better job.

He has nothing but good things to say about the training program at Silver State.

My advice is, especially if you are young, is to do it now. If you are passionate about it you'll never have a boring day at work again! Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Silver State was the school I was questioning. There are all sorts of bad reviews and pretty awful accusations about the company as a whole. It is nice to finally hear something positive...

mrG
05-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the info. Silver State was the school I was questioning. There are all sorts of bad reviews and pretty awful accusations about the company as a whole. It is nice to finally hear something positive...

Now having said that, if I were looking for a school for professional helicopter training, and spending that much money, I would be looking and talking to all the big training academies asking lots of questions. I would also try and talk to some helicopter operators like PHI, ERA, other offshore operators and ask exactly what kind of training and back ground they look for in their propective pilots.

This assuming that you are looking to do this as a career.