PDA

View Full Version : 6 Boat Speakers, 4 Tower Speakers, 1 Sub And Only 1 Amp?

DDRAININ12
05-24-2007, 02:13 AM
I recently got my X and it has 6 boat speakers 4 tower speakers and 1 sub. However I only have 1 amp? It seems like I would need more than 1 any thoughts or opinions on this? Also when the music is playing my tower speakers cut in and out. Is this a short or just not enough power to push to all these speakers. Love the boat. Thanks

SaltwaterMC
05-24-2007, 02:26 AM
You definitely have a problem in my opinion if this is using factory equipment. I have an '07 with 2 tower speakers, 6 cockpit speakers, and a sub. The Clarion CMD4 powers the front 2 cockpit speakers, a JL Audio M6450 powers the 4 rear cockpit speakers (using 4 of the 6 channels) and the last 2 channels are bridged to power the sub. The tower speakers are powered by a separate amp, a JL Audio M2150 which can handle 2 or 4 cans on the tower (Running 2 speakers in stereo at 4 ohms, or running 4 speakers in stereo wired parallel at 2 ohms). Hope this helps.

SaltwaterMC
05-24-2007, 02:35 AM
Perhaps they used the CMD4 to power 4 cockpit speakers, 2 channels of the amp for the other 2 cockpit speakers, 2 channels of the amp (bridged) for the sub, and the remaining 2 channels of the amp (given it is the M6450) to power the tower speakers. Just an idea...

DDRAININ12
05-24-2007, 02:45 AM
Probably what ever happened needs to get fixed. Music will be playing and all of a sudden the tower speakers are rocking and then they are gone nothing. I personally don't have a clue when it comes to speakers and amps but do you think getting another amp will solve the problem of the music cutting in and out on the tower speakers?

SaltwaterMC
05-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Sounds like you could be overloading the amp... Not good! If the amp distorts it will send the distorted signal to the speakers which often results in blown speakers. I would wait for some more replies tomorrow but sounds like it needs to be checked out. What boat/year did you get?

erkoehler
05-24-2007, 02:51 AM
Were your tower speakers factory installed or dealer installed?

Also, give the dealer a call on this, I'm sure that they would be more than willing to troubleshoot it over the phone or setup a time for you to bring the boat in.

It is a 2007......

DDRAININ12
05-24-2007, 03:00 AM
It's a 2007 X1 they were dealer installed. 4X Clarion Tower Speakers with 6 kicker cockpit speakers. Honestly it sounds like S.

sand2snow22
05-24-2007, 03:46 AM
You got problems, I have an 05 with stock everything, clarion head unit and JL speakers. 2 tower speakers, 4 interior speakers and a sub running off 1 big JL amp. Sounds good enough for me. Guys around here are getting crazy with their aftermarket stereo systems.......

sand2snow22
05-24-2007, 03:47 AM
Erk, you were up late!!

sand2snow22
05-24-2007, 03:48 AM
Let me guess, the dealer in Seattle or Alpine Haus?

badams
06-02-2007, 11:24 PM
My 05 X45 had the same problem with the stereo cutting out. Turned out that the amp was overheating and it was due to a faulty wire. The dealer put a heat gun to each wire to see if one was overheating and sure enough one of the wires going into the amp was faulty. Hope this helps.

ridehype4life
06-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Our 06 X1 runs off one JL amp and we have 4 interior JL speakers and two up on the tower, but no sub...

beatle78
06-04-2007, 09:13 AM
My money is on bad/loose wiring.

I bought my 2001 205V last fall and the sub kept cutting out on me. My brother went and juggled all the wired connected to the Amp and presto, we found the loose wire.....

JimN
06-04-2007, 09:31 AM
badams- I have never heard of a wire being heated with a heat gun to find a problem. More likely, the insulation was relaxing and then it shorted.

One amp can feed that many speakers, but only if they're wired correctly. These probably weren't. If the "pairs" are a woofer and tweeter, that's not a pair if they are connected through a two-way crossover, that's a "set". If they are actually separate coaxial (or triaxial) speakers, they'll need to be wired differently. If the tower speakers are in separate cans, wire them in series, then follow the next paragraph for wiring. Keeping adjacent pairs together makes them sound alike.

Two speakers in series will be the same volume as one of them but the impedance will be the sum of both. That pair can be run in parallel with another pair, wired in series, to maintain a 4 ohm load. If the amp can handle a 2 ohm load and has an active crossover for each channel or pair of channels, set it to High Pass and connect the odd speaker in parallel. Make sure that the odd speaker has the highest power rating because the current going through that will be highest.

There's really not enough info about the speakers and amp to make more specific recommendations. One thing I would recommend is to disconnect the amp and check for shorts in the speaker wires. Also, look for the point where the connections were made. That may have just been taped up, which is called "hack' work, and can be dangerous.

If you have one pair of speaker wires for each channel at the amp and you measure about one ohm resistance, they connected all of the speakers in parallel and if they charged you for this work, get a refund and go somewhere else.

TX.X-30 fan
06-04-2007, 10:42 AM
You got problems, I have an 05 with stock everything, clarion head unit and JL speakers. 2 tower speakers, 4 interior speakers and a sub running off 1 big JL amp. Sounds good enough for me. Guys around here are getting crazy with their aftermarket stereo systems.......

We will just have to disagree on this issue Sir. :mad: :D

JBaker
06-06-2007, 09:56 PM
[/B]

We will just have to disagree on this issue Sir. :mad: :D

Well played, Sir, well played.

DDRAININ12
01-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Finally following up on this post. What had happened was two things. 1. The clarion head unit had faulty outputs to the AMP. 2. The 3rd party vendor who does all the work for Mastercraft in Oregon was nice enough to return both the faulty Clarion unit and the amp. I then paid them a little extra scratch like $200 bucks to re-wire the tower to run off 4ohms rather than two and put in a Alpine PDX-5 channel amp. I also had them throw in an extra battery with a perko switch. Let me tell you thos JL-Audios uptop rock now. I am probably going to throw in a PDX-4 Channel for the cockpit this spring.

ORX-1
01-19-2009, 11:16 AM
I recently got my X and it has 6 boat speakers 4 tower speakers and 1 sub. However I only have 1 amp? It seems like I would need more than 1 any thoughts or opinions on this? Also when the music is playing my tower speakers cut in and out. Is this a short or just not enough power to push to all these speakers. Love the boat. Thanks

I have the same set up but with 3 amps. one for tower speakers, one for interior and one for the sub. I would try that set up and I bet all your problems go away!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/greggrossi_2008/Boat%20Sales/Amps.jpg

bobx1
01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Our 06 X1 runs off one JL amp and we have 4 interior JL speakers and two up on the tower, but no sub...

Times 2.

I have an 07 X1. When I inquired about adding two more speakers on the tower and/or a sub, they said I needed at least one more amp.

ORX-1
01-19-2009, 06:08 PM

DAN! I just noticed that was you... At least I am pretty sure....

cbfitzner
01-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Finally someone who states the obvious about stereos in boats. Personally, I would be happy if I never saw a tower speaker again. The real problem is that you don't have to see them to be totally annoyed by them. You hear them long before you see them. The struggle we have had over the last few years to keep our lake from becoming a fishing only lake has been tough enough without throwing the noise pollution into the mix. I bought my Mastercraft because of it's superior wake, build quality, and pull, not so that I could blast my eardrums and annoy my neighbors. I know. I'm starting to sound like my dad. Turn that down!!!

scott023
01-23-2009, 05:57 PM
This may be slightly off topic, but when we started looking at boat, and test driving them, this summer I was totally suprised at the quality of sound systems that are in them. We are on a decent size lake here (kind of party central in out province), but have not had a lot of "noise pollution" to complain about. I will certainly be adding at least a second amp to the mix on my boat, just to make sure I am utilizing all sound quality avialable. LOL