PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler Lines Leaking

WAT8415
05-24-2007, 02:43 AM
Thought I would see if anyone has any advice on this topic. I have a 1994 Suburban with the 7.4L. I noticed that I am leaking oil from the oil cooling line. I have heard different opions in regards to the oil cooler, some say just plug it up because unless I am doing alot of heavy towing the oil cooler is not really needed. Anyone have any opions on this?

Secondly what is the easiest way to remove the oil cooler lines. At the oil filter there is a clip ring the seems to hold the line in to the block. Do I need to remove the nut that the fitting goes into completely or just losten it to remove the clip ring that holds the lines into the block? If anyone has replaced these any help would be greatly appreciated.

Footin
05-24-2007, 08:44 AM
I replaced the lines on my 1997 GMC Jimmy a few years back. Not a bad job, but it would help to have two people, one under the car and one under the hood.
I picked up a new cooler and lines at the dealer for about 70 bucks.
I understand it is a very common problem.

vogelm1
05-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Have done mine twice now on our '96 Yukon. Not a bad job, especially if you're under there changing the oil anyway. You will need to remove the line at the plastic clip you describe - don't worry about the nuts. Was able to insert a small screwdriver into the clip and pull out the metal cotter-key type clip holding on the line. The first time I did this, I purposely broke away the plastic with a pliers to get at the locking pin (the new lines come with all needed replacement hardware). Just be sure there is an o-ring on each end and lube them with a little engine oil before assembly. Where the lines attach to the radiator...be sure that the o-rings come out with the line; if not you'll need to fish them out of the opening with a piece of wire, awl, etc.