PDA

View Full Version : need some help.....want to pull truck/trailer/boat

milkmania
02-04-2005, 07:26 PM
I need some ideas or otherwise regarding pulling my 30 foot travel trailer & my MC Prostar 190 with my Suburban.

any ideas???

do's or don'ts <---that's a messed up word:confused:

2001 Mallard 30'
1991 Prostar 190
1997 K1500 Suburban w/ 350

AirJunky
02-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Have the loader at the ramp put your boat on top of the camper.....

Any way you do it, you better hope there are no hills. A 350 in the 'burban won't pull both of them too fast for too long.

ski_king
02-04-2005, 08:16 PM
I have seen a ski boat behind a 5th wheel trailer, not sure about a standard hitch trailer. Even then there was a special 5th wheel hauler with a heafty diesel pulling it.

But I have wondered the same, but dismissed it and made 2 trips.
Now that would be a long rig.
Suburban = 22 ft.
Travel Trailer = 30 ft.
190 w/trailer = 22 ft.
Total = 74 ft.
Whatever you do, don't stuck in a place where you would have to back up.

sfitzgerald351
02-04-2005, 09:08 PM
My friend's dad pulls a 28' travel trailer and a 16' trailer full of ATVs with his 350 suburban all the time. The whole rig probably weighs 1-3k less than what you're proposing, but apparently this guy has no trouble with the rig. I guess the trick is making sure the camper has anti-sway equipment and that the hitch on it is beefy enough for the boat. With brakes on the trailer you should be fine, but I would sure try to avoid anything but relatively flat Interstates!

milkmania
02-04-2005, 09:16 PM
http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/train.gif I think I can, I think I can, I think I can:steering:

MasterMason
02-04-2005, 09:37 PM
And avoid California, because that would be very illegal here....

milkmania
02-04-2005, 09:42 PM
And avoid California, because that would be very illegal here....

won't be a problem....

got out of there in '72

didn't leave a danged thing I need to go back for:D

illegal even with brakes on the travel trailer???
I'm hearing it's legal in Oklahoma, as long as the truck and middle trailer have brakes.

Jim
02-04-2005, 10:58 PM
I would weigh your boat and trailer. Make sure its loaded with gear and gas as you would tow it. If it's over 5000 lbs your gonna struggle, especially on any hills. I had a stock 99 burb 350 w/tow package(6000 lb tow rating) pulling 4500 lbs on a tandem trailer through the California dessert. It struggled on the hills. As long as it is legal were you live, I think your main concern should weight rather than length.

milkmania
02-04-2005, 11:28 PM
I've got a local rock quarry that's told me to bring the stuff over and they'd weight it all out for me.

MCPS205
02-05-2005, 02:09 AM
I looked into this in Wisconsin... unless the middle trailer was a 5th wheel, it was illegal. Even if it was a 5th wheel, you need a special permit. Nonetheless... I hope your 'burban is under warranty because I dont see that tranny lasting too long.

rem_p
02-05-2005, 03:20 AM
yea im not so sure about the auto tranny holding up under the pressure....i have seen these type of piggy-back set ups before but i wouldnt want to do it....i would have to make 2 trips or find another solution.....why do you seek this attempt any how? going camping and need both items? have you considered a storage facility for the travel-trailer?....just something to think about

AirJunky
02-05-2005, 03:22 AM
We went houseboating on Havasu once about 6 or 7 years ago. One of the guy's came from Bakersfield...... pulling a 5th wheel & a Supra behind a super cab Ford diesel. He was a long haul trucker by trade & said he had to have special certs to do it. No clue what he had done to the trailers to make it happen. But that Ford certainly didn't have just a Chevy 350 under the hood.

River Rat
02-05-2005, 12:44 PM
I pulled a 31ft travel trailer at (#7000) with a double Jet Ski trailer with my ˝ ton for 2 years and the only problem I had was one time I burnt up my rear end. Make sure you have fresh oil in the diff. before you load it up, and make sure your brakes are in good shape. When my speed got to high my trailer had a tendency to swing. My new trailer is a fifth wheel that weights about #12,000 so I don’t pull anything behind it.

Jerseydave
02-05-2005, 07:41 PM
some questions for you:

How far do you intend to pull this rig?
Is it legal in your state?

Even if it is legal, you are exceeding the towing capacity of your suburban. God forbid if you got into an accident and injured someone, and your over your legal limits, I'd hate to be you in court.
I'm no lawyer, but I wouldn't risk it. (Any lawyers here?)

Like someone said, look into a storage place for your camper or your boat and just tow 1.

BTW, I know a guy with a GMC Denali who ate 3 trannys pulling a 32 foot Fountain in less than 30K miles! That trans won't last with what you want to do.
I change my trans fluid every year. Good preventive maint.

milkmania
02-05-2005, 09:51 PM
as I was looking over Oklahoma's trailer laws.....

I saw that any trailer grossing over 3000 lbs is supposed to have brakes on all wheels...
heck, I'm already llegal, no brakes on MC trailer single axle.

JimN
02-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Pulling it is one thing, stopping it is another.

milkmania
02-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Pulling it is one thing, stopping it is another.

but hey, I got an anchor:steering:

André
02-05-2005, 10:24 PM
but hey, I got an anchor:steering:

LOL :toast:

River Rat
02-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Another thing you need to look into is can the frame of your travel trailer handle the extra #3000 pushing and pulling from the rear? A few years ago I turned over a 32ft tung pull in the mountains and with my trailer laying over on its side I was shocked to see how flimsy the frame was. Thankfully no-one was hurt but sure did scare the pooky out of me

Robert Averyt
02-07-2005, 05:23 PM
I had a Ford Crew cab with 351 engine with 411 gears. Pulling a 27 foot 5th wheel with a 19 foot inboard behind the 5th wheel. The max legal length here is Texas at that time was 75 feet. I was 74'9".

Just a real hassel. (pull into the camp grounds drop the boat set up the camper hook up to the boat. put the boat in drop the boat trailer. And on Sunday just the reverse. Was great for every one else but I was a whipped pup.)

Had electric brakes on the 5th wheel and surge on the boat.

The second trip to the lake with this set up I burned a hole in a piston on the way home.

It was way cool looking but not at all safe or fun. I would strongly reccommend against it. I will never do it again.

Robert Averyt

Ric
02-07-2005, 07:42 PM
I had a Ford Crew cab with 351 engine with 411 gears. Pulling a 27 foot 5th wheel with a 19 foot inboard behind the 5th wheel. The max legal length here is Texas at that time was 75 feet. I was 74'9".

Just a real hassel. (pull into the camp grounds drop the boat set up the camper hook up to the boat. put the boat in drop the boat trailer. And on Sunday just the reverse. Was great for every one else but I was a whipped pup.)

Had electric brakes on the 5th wheel and surge on the boat.

The second trip to the lake with this set up I burned a hole in a piston on the way home.

It was way cool looking but not at all safe or fun. I would strongly reccommend against it. I will never do it again.

Robert Averyt
Yep, I have a buddy that's done that with a 26ft 5th wheel, 21ft supra and a powerstroke
He's patient and I am not, so he claimed it wasnt a bad trip whenever he did it but he drove around 60 and just kicked back and enjoyed the drive.
He modified the rear bumper on the trailer to beef it up to the frame for towing.
I do remember him talking of the 75ft limit and now with the longer camper, he doesnt do that anymore.

Leroy
02-07-2005, 07:58 PM
I would do like NeilM, get another SUV and you and your wife each drive! Pull your boat with one and pull the trailer with the other.

River Rat
02-07-2005, 08:06 PM
I have a friend who pulls his boat and camper at 20ft over the legal length in texas and has been 6 or 7 times a year for 7 or so years and never got a ticket yet. been pulled over in that rig but they never ask. my luck would never be that good. :rolleyes:

milkmania
02-08-2005, 11:47 AM
I would do like NeilM, get another SUV and you and your wife each drive! Pull your boat with one and pull the trailer with the other.

that's probably what I'm going to resort to:steering:

K1500 Suburban pulling the boat
K2500 Suburban pulling the trailer
Dodge Ram pulling the 4 wheelers.

anybody wanna trade fuel bills this summer???:(

ski_king
02-08-2005, 12:14 PM
that's probably what I'm going to resort to:steering:

K1500 Suburban pulling the boat
K2500 Suburban pulling the trailer
Dodge Ram pulling the 4 wheelers.

anybody wanna trade fuel bills this summer???:(
No......Might be less exensive to buy a lake front home.....

AirJunky
02-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Or at least a lakefront lot to park the trailer on!