PDA

View Full Version : What Iíve been up to.......

cmack
05-23-2007, 06:35 PM
This could also be called Ė Why Iíve been so grumpy.
First of all I just wanted to apologize to the people I ticked off on the 14th. If you donít know what Iím talking about Ė Good and donít worry about it. To the others Iím sorry.
Usually I donít act that way but for over the last month I have been building a deck for the back yard. I was way overtired. Sounds pretty simply, thatís what I thought. I counted almost 130 hours that I spent working on this. I could have built two for all the redoís I had. Basically I spent my nights and weekends working on it. Itís not any excuse but I have just been way overtired and very grumpy. Usually when you work really hard, you end up getting a good night sleep alsoÖ Not me I had way too many sleepless nights thinking about the stupid deck. I ended up taking time off last week to finish.
I donít think it came out too bad for my first deck project. It is pretty much level and almost square. I used ramps instead of stairs because of our older dog. This gave him an easy way to move from the higher area without having to jump the retaining walls.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/223/508391436_3d0242af09.jpg

cmack
05-23-2007, 06:36 PM
.......http://farm1.static.flickr.com/215/508385208_19b8896a0a.jpg

cmack
...........http://farm1.static.flickr.com/191/508420743_5660370fa5.jpg

east tx skier
Nice deck. You didn't seem too grumpy in April.

cmack
05-23-2007, 06:37 PM
..............http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/508397300_97c4a6241c.jpg

cmack
05-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Nice deck. You didn't seem too grumpy in April.

I dont remember when we met, but I started on 4/25

east tx skier
05-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Around 4/13 IIRC. Timing is everything! ;)

Jesus_Freak
05-23-2007, 06:46 PM
VERY nice work!

Rockman
05-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Sweet Deck!

I hear you about getting grumpy when projects run you down. Just think, now that's its done, you can enjoy it. :)

I expect to see a picture of you sitting on the deck with a big fat cold one...;)

WAT8415
05-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Looks awesome, now you can come and start building one for me now!!

JKTX21
05-23-2007, 06:53 PM
You're a real jerk Chris!

Just kidding, it looks great! When is the deck party my friend?! Maybe you will have some time to go boating now!

pram
05-23-2007, 06:55 PM
That is one nice looking deck you built yourself. How about a shot of you with a cold one lounging in the chair with your feet up? You deserve it

pram
05-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Sweet Deck!

I hear you about getting grumpy when projects run you down. Just think, now that's its done, you can enjoy it. :)

I expect to see a picture of you sitting on the deck with a big fat cold one...;)

That's not fair, do you have a a jump on me because you are in the east for posting;)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Congrats! Nice job! and you didnt make the grump of hte month polls for April, or May, so your fine. and since you built a ramp for your dog, you rule! anyone that would go the extra mile for an old dog is OK in my book!:D why? because dogs RULE! and peeps that treat 'em right rule even more!:) Kudos!!

betsy&david Harrison
05-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Your deck is gorgeous! It shows your hard work. Nice going.

TMCNo1
05-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Nice job!:cool:

TX.X-30 fan
05-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Wow very nice, I think you could park a truck on that thing. :D

Maristar210
05-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Looking good. Looks real GOOD :D

ilikeitglacy
05-23-2007, 09:27 PM
hey grumpy!! NICE JOB;)

Leroy
05-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Great job CMACK, I built one deck with trees through it and loved it. Just had to saw away some deck every few years.

fintek9
05-23-2007, 09:47 PM
nice!.. did the same ramp thing to a friends deck for his older dog also, plus his parents could transfer from yard to deck easier... if haven't' might want to think of adding some traction on the ramp itself! we found it got slippery after a rain!! we put woodlife on and while it was still wet we sprinkled baby sand over it,, worked great... that deck was not as good looking as your though!!!! like the trees left....

trickskier
05-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Nice work cmack..........You didn't seem grumpy to me........Now enjoy that beautiful deck...........:D

sanjuan23
05-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Chris, that looks Great! Hopefully we will see you around on the water now.

sizzler
05-24-2007, 09:41 AM
looks a good job .......very nice

chudson
05-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Great lookin deck Bud, like the way you built around the trees. Is there a lake at the bottom of the hill? Good lookin pups too!!!

cmack
05-24-2007, 10:33 AM
VERY nice work!
Thanks!

WOW -- Thanks everyone for the input!

Sweet Deck!
I hear you about getting grumpy when projects run you down. Just think, now that's its done, you can enjoy it.
I expect to see a picture of you sitting on the deck with a big fat cold one...
When I picked up the lumber we actually bought a new tub along with (well with the discount from Lowe's we got tub for free!). I kept looking at the tub thinking -- I can do that -- NP. It took a pro three solid days to do it. I'm glad I didn't try it.
AS far as the cold one in hand -- I missed a great shot. The day I finished my neighbor came over and I asked her to bring some coldies along 'cause I was out. My hair was all over the place 'cause I rolled out of bed and started working. Had oil all over me because the impact wrench spit it out. I was pretty much tarred and feathered between the oil and sawdust -- Not a pretty picture -- But the Miller's never tasted so good.

Looks awesome, now you can come and start building one for me now!!
I would not mind consulting. Can even tell you how to get a good discount from Lowe's!

You're a real jerk Chris!
Just kidding, it looks great! When is the deck party my friend?! Maybe you will have some time to go boating now!

We are having a get together on Friday 6/1 drinks and food nothing big just some buddies over.. Any of the North Texas folks are welcome to stop by! Hitting JP something this weekend either sat or Monday then again on 6/2. Also making my way to PWT at Texas Mastercraft on 06/03

Congrats! Nice job! and you didn't make the grump of the month polls for April, or May, so your fine. and since you built a ramp for your dog, you rule! anyone that would go the extra mile for an old dog is OK in my book!:D why? because dogs RULE! and peeps that treat 'em right rule even more!:) Kudos!!

Thanks UMP!
I thought I would have some rest between building the deck and then the railings and ramps. Saint the older dog (13 or 14ish), decided to take a running leap off the tall end of the deck. I don't see how he did not break something but he only get the wind knocked out of him. So then it was a sprint to the end to get it all done because it was actually dangerous for him at that point. He still thinks he is 4 years old and sometimes hurts himself

Your deck is gorgeous! It shows your hard work. Nice going.
Thanks Betsy, or David? BTW -- How is the teak project? I hope it went, goes, or is going well!!

Great job CMACK, I built one deck with trees through it and loved it. Just had to saw away some deck every few years.

I might be in trouble there because one brace is too close I think. But these are REALLY slow growing trees. I am more concerned that they don't die on me. I lost 10 trees last year. I have been having the big ones treated so hopefully they won't die.

nice!.. did the same ramp thing to a friends deck for his older dog also, plus his parents could transfer from yard to deck easier... if haven't' might want to think of adding some traction on the ramp itself! we found it got slippery after a rain!! we put woodlife on and while it was still wet we sprinkled baby sand over it,, worked great... that deck was not as good looking as your though!!!! like the trees left....

Thanks for the idea there! I was thinking about the grip to the ramp and that is a great idea. I did not like the thought of the black grip tape.

Chris, that looks Great! Hopefully we will see you around on the water now.

We should be on JP either Sat or Monday not sure. But also 06/02 :)

Thanks everyone else for all the nice comments!

Now I have to tell my neighbor that his 18v Dewalt did not make it :( Some how my cheapie Harbor Freight drill managed fine....

east tx skier
05-24-2007, 11:00 AM
By the way, found a new avatar for you. ;)

http://www.trevreav.co.uk/Illustration%20popups/Resources/grumpy.jpeg

Ric
05-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Looks good. No way I could do that!

Oh ya and uhhhh Lighten up mack! :purplaugh:

Boogieman
05-24-2007, 11:52 AM
very nice!

Rockman
05-24-2007, 12:14 PM
When I picked up the lumber we actually bought a new tub along with (well with the discount from Lowe's we got tub for free!).

How did this "discount" work?

cmack
05-24-2007, 01:07 PM
How did this "discount" work?

I used the deck building software for home depot. It prints up a bill of materials with current prices from HD. But I like Lowe's better. Now this BOM from the HD software had the HD logo plastered all over it. So I took it to Lowe's and asked them if they can beat the HD price. Once they redid the BOM for Lowe's items -- It came out higher but they adjusted prices till I got 10% off the HD price :)