PDA

View Full Version : How do you attach carpet to trailer fenders?

68FastbackGT
05-23-2007, 09:23 AM
I am about to replace the carpet on a 1985 Mastercraft’s trailer. While I am doing this, I need to replace the carpet that is on the inside of the trailer’s fiberglass fenders as this carpet is coming apart. What should I use to glue this carpet in place? I found a bunch of very helpful threads on replacing the bunk’s carpet, but I have not been able to find this covered.

My Star boat thanks you

TMCNo1
05-23-2007, 10:00 AM
I used 3M High Tack #76 spray adhesive on the fender and on the carpet backside and let it dry and then stuck the two pieces together like contact cement. Just mark the carpet outline, tape and paper the fiberglass where the carpet will go and spray it like paint, let it dry, pull the paper and tape off and make the bond. After you cut your carpet, before you glue it, call your local carpet stores and find out who binds (edges) carpet or cut it 1/2" larger around the outside and have a upholstery shop trim and hem the edges, to keep the edges from unraveling over time.

east tx skier
05-23-2007, 10:46 AM
The 3m spray or contact cement will work. Just make sure they have a chance to dry really well before you dunk it.

68FastbackGT
05-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys. I did not even think about having the carpet edged. That will make a big difference.