PDA

View Full Version : Stereo cutting out

Bigger IS Better
05-23-2007, 01:03 AM
OK. Went to havasu for the weekend and we were beached by the London Bridge for several hours. The whole time we were pumping the stereo of course. if we pumped it too loud it would cut out. I would have to turn the key off then back on and then it would come back on. I am assuming it is the amp. I have an 06' x-30 with the stock JL system. 4 tower speakers and 4 speakers in the boat with 1 10" sub.

What can I do to stop the problem? Maybe a larger power supply line or should I jsut add another amp in order to keep from draining my one?

Thanks.

WESSTAR
05-23-2007, 01:17 AM
Do you have two batteries?

Bigger IS Better
05-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Yes I do. But now that you mention it, my switch might have been only set to one battery.

WESSTAR
05-23-2007, 01:22 AM
My old boat used to cut out like that until I put in a capacitor and a new gel cell battery. This boat has not done that and it sounds like we have about the same system.

Bigger IS Better
05-23-2007, 01:29 AM
So go get a couple of Optima batteries and what kind of capacitor are you talking about?

JimN
05-23-2007, 01:35 AM
If you crank the stereo for hours on end and don't charge the battery, it's going to cut out. What happens if you leave a flashlight on for hours? The light gets dimmer until the batteries are dead.

Battery voltage dropping will also cause the power output to drop, which probably made you turn it up higher, which can cause major distortion and speaker failure.

There's no equipment problem, just not being operated right. The amp has a protection circuit that won't engage if the voltage drops too low. Did you bother to check the battery voltage?

hardycm
05-25-2007, 01:47 PM
While the battery charge is one problem, heat buildup could be the other. You probably have your amp somewhere where there isn't much air circulation, and I'm sure its getting pretty warm at Havasu. Most amps have hi-temp cut-outs. See if you still have the problem at lower volume, or if you let your amp breathe a bit.