PDA

View Full Version : where to put depth gauge ??

boyd
05-22-2007, 11:44 PM
First of all, why wouldn't MC put a depth finder as standard equip.?
I need to install one on a 91 prostar and can't decide where to put it.
My first thought is to take the Hr. meter and mount it out of sight under the dash and put the depth finder where the hr. meter was. What do you guys think?
I hate to drill another hole in the dash and there really isn't a good spot.
I can also put in under the dash.
Opinion?
I haven't needed one before because we always boat in the river but I just bought a house on KY lake and don't the area well.

Also, I can't find the power source. Is there a power source under the dash to plug into?

Thanks.
BOYD

mayo93prostar
05-22-2007, 11:50 PM
i have a 93 prostar and i am putting the depth finder in the hole where the clock is. i had a 87 prostar and i put the depth finder in a seperate bracket from pep boys under the dash on the right side. you could do this with the hour meter. also, supposed to be careful where to put the sounder or puck. I put mine back by the prop shaft to the side some.

erkoehler
05-22-2007, 11:57 PM
My advice, don't move the hour meter. If you move it, and then need to sell the boat people are going to be cautious as the the timely replacement of the hour meter, and whether the boat was used without an hour meter hooked up.

I suggest replacing the clock with the hour meter, or mounting it elsewhere.

TMCNo1
05-23-2007, 12:05 AM
You should have a switched positive pigtail sticking out of the backside of the dash and you also have a ground pigtail or you can tie into another common ground found in the wiring for the dash.

boyd
05-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Removing the clock would be my first choice also, if I had one,
so I may just mount it under the dash. I didn't think people would be suspicious of the hour meter under the dash. I never planned on unplugging it, just putting it in a different place, out of sight. To me, it's the least important gauge there is. I think MC should have put the hr. meter on the engine. I would have told them but no one called and asked me.
Thanks guys,
BOYD

boyd
05-23-2007, 12:15 AM
A pigtail being a positive wire just sticking out that I can attach my red wire to ?

TMCNo1
05-23-2007, 12:25 AM
A pigtail being a positive wire just sticking out that I can attach my red wire to ?

It should be tagged and would have a solderless connector on the end for you to just stick your + wire in and crimp good! My '89 had 3, 1 for stereo and 2 for other switched power needs. I would also install a inline fuse holder in the power lead and keep a extra fuse somewhere in the boat if you would need it. There may be a tagged ground lead back there too.

milkmania
05-23-2007, 01:04 AM
First of all, why wouldn't MC put a depth finder as standard equip.?
I need to install one on a 91 prostar and can't decide where to put it.
My first thought is to take the Hr. meter and mount it out of sight under the dash and put the depth finder where the hr. meter was. What do you guys think?
I hate to drill another hole in the dash and there really isn't a good spot.
I can also put in under the dash.
Opinion?
I haven't needed one before because we always boat in the river but I just bought a house on KY lake and don't the area well.

Also, I can't find the power source. Is there a power source under the dash to plug into?

Thanks.
BOYD

that's exactly what the previous owner did on my 91 PS190.....
except they neglected to relocate the hour meter:rolleyes:

bret
05-23-2007, 09:08 AM
yeah remove the clock and put it on one of the accessory wiring switches.
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/247master2.jpg

TMCNo1
05-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Then, get one of those small battery operated day/date/time clocks @ Wal-Mart for $4.00 +- and velcro it in a blank space on the dash if you want or need a clock.
Like the one on the lower left of the left speedometer behind the steering wheel,

Lottawatta
05-23-2007, 10:48 AM
On my 91, I put my depth gauge in place of the hour meter and relocated the hour meter to under the dash. I drilled a hole from under the dash up through the instrument pod so that I didn't have to run new wires. Worked very well.

Sodar
05-23-2007, 11:16 AM
You can always install it like Hoosier Bob did. Here is a link to the thread about it: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14898&highlight=trash