PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on ski clubs

dmayer84
05-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Was wondering what you guys thought about ski clubs. Went out today with one and I am comtemplating joining. They are on a small private lake which they rent, just big enough for a course. I am trying to figure out if it will be worth it. The guys in there are great skiers.

Thanks for your input.

betsy&david Harrison
05-22-2007, 10:31 PM
I am in a club and it is nice because it gives you a chance to ski with other people. Life is a rollercoaster ride..don't be afraid to jump onboard!

dmayer84
05-22-2007, 10:34 PM
I am in a club and it is nice because it gives you a chance to ski with other people. Life is a rollercoaster ride..don't be afraid to jump onboard!

I want to jump on board looking more at if it will be worth it for the money

betsy&david Harrison
05-22-2007, 10:44 PM
That's a tough issue because of the cost of fuel. But, if you become great friends with a few of them then the costs go right down the toilet. We now have an annual camping trip, people from the club come out and stay with us. We just have a roaring good time together.

rodltg2
05-22-2007, 10:46 PM
its worth the money if you use it. i pay 1800 a year and ski about 2-3 days a week sometimes more. ski season here is long as well. plus i ski at least once a month during our cold months of dec, jan and feb. well worth it to me.

rodltg2
05-22-2007, 10:47 PM
i save a huge amount on fuel. instead of drving around the public lake

rodltg2
05-22-2007, 10:51 PM
you cant beat this!!!

atlfootr
05-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Was wondering what you guys thought about ski clubs. Went out today with one and I am comtemplating joining. They are on a small private lake which they rent, just big enough for a course. I am trying to figure out if it will be worth it. The guys in there are great skiers.

Thanks for your input.JUSDOIT ... Here's my club!
http://www.atlantabarefoot.com/

Brent
05-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Ski clubs are great if you are into skiing & love to making friends.

Compare the costs taking your boat out ,Coaching ,wasted time with crap water & all the other difficulties being on public water!

just curious how much is is it to join & what do ya get for the price of addmision? How many club members ?

Mag_Red
05-22-2007, 10:54 PM
I'd do it!:D

dmayer84
05-22-2007, 11:08 PM
It would be around 2500 but 500 of it goes directly to the property owners as they do not own it. about 7-8 members currently.

rodltg2
05-22-2007, 11:25 PM
is it byob? if it is seems a bit pricey . but 8 emebrs is really low. you get lots of skiing in.

tex
05-23-2007, 12:02 AM
I may be a bit bias being president of a ski club but let me give you an honest opinion. It really depends on the club. I love my club...fun people, great price, great site. I have seen others who were ski snobs and charged way too much. They also took themselves way too serious. Go out and ski with them a lot and figure it out. If it's a good club...you and your family will totally benefit from it. You will make friends and ski with people who will open your mind and push your skiing!!!

jlf
05-23-2007, 12:09 AM
I wish we had something closer to where I live. I'd definitely check it out.

Brent
05-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Is that $2500 every year or is there a initiation fee included this time?
How much a set after joining or do you just top off the gas?

As said above it depends on how often you use it . It does sound reasonable to me considering how few members they have , I would go for it!

jkski
05-23-2007, 08:14 AM
I belong to a club that consists of 15 members who each pay $1200/year in a BYOB situation. The club also leases a boat each year, and if you wish to be a part of that it will cost an additional $1200/year, however, this includes all of the gas, insurance, etc..all you do is show up and pull it out of the boathouse.
The majority of the people bring their own boat, or have lifts in the water, which does not cost anything additional.
As far as ski time goes, I've never had a problem, as everyone gets along and respects the rules, which are 15minutes per member. So basically, if someone is on the dock waiting, you simply rotate after every skier.
I would caution you in this....if the members do not get along, be sure to avoid the politics and do not side, just do your thing. Otherwise, it has been a wise investment for me as I ski 6 days/week and actually use less gas than I did going 3 days/week to a public lake. Hard to believe you say...well, think of this, you no longer have to search for smooth water all over the lake, and there is no putting around, it's pretty much ski, shut it down, then repeat.
Good luck.

BrianM
05-23-2007, 09:44 AM
...but let me give you an honest opinion. It really depends on the club. I love my club...fun people, great price, great site. I have seen others who were ski snobs and charged way too much. They also took themselves way too serious. Go out and ski with them a lot and figure it out. If it's a good club...you and your family will totally benefit from it. You will make friends and ski with people who will open your mind and push your skiing!!!
Ditto! Our club is pretty inexpensive, has only 10 members, generally has great people that don't take themselves too seriously, is more of a family atmosphere on a pretty good site (not a world record site but private with a nice dock and good storage facilities). I consider myself extremely lucky to have found it. Have been to other places that are not like this and would not have been a good fit for me.

jenglin
05-24-2007, 05:57 PM
I have been a member of a show ski/3 event ski club for the past 6 years and love it. My cousin and I actively show skied for 5 years but both have started families and doing more 3 event now. Compared too other clubs ours membership fee is peanuts. Our dues are only $150.00/year and you can ski almost anytime you want. You can bring your own boat or use the clubs boat @ a rate of $45.00/hr. The show ski team reserves the lake Tues, Thurs, and shows on Sun. They also have a couple of tournaments on the weekends throughout the year. Wed. is reserved for 3 event and whenever else in the week people want to ski. The lake is a 35 acre borrow pit that was developed when the state put in a new interstate. It has a slalom course and two jumps (one for show skiing and one for 3 event ski fly). It's a great club, but we are not as active and we will start to use the river that is 15 minutes away rather then traveling the 45 minutes to our lake. However, we do go down there to use the jumps.

SkiDog
05-24-2007, 08:08 PM
I would NEVER join a club that would have ME as a member!:D

Jerseydave
05-24-2007, 08:30 PM
dmayer,

You'll be trading-in the X-10 for a 197 if you join! :D

Besides, don't you like to wakeboard alot too? I don't think they care for your "kind" 'round here!

Drag your boat down to the river with us one early morning. It's not a private site, but it'll do just fine for boarding! (Or leave it home and get a few sets in behind mine.)

dmayer84
05-24-2007, 08:35 PM
dmayer,

You'll be trading-in the X-10 for a 197 if you join! :D

Besides, don't you like to wakeboard alot too? I don't think they care for your "kind" 'round here!

Drag your boat down to the river with us one early morning. It's not a private site, but it'll do just fine for boarding! (Or leave it home and get a few sets in behind mine.)
I didnt say I was trading anything in, know enough people with decent ski boats not to have to do that :D I just enjoy skiing just as much as I do boarding.

h2oskiluvr
05-25-2007, 07:24 AM
I would love to have an opportunity like the one you have. There is nothing like that available around here. I would be willing to pay a lot more than they are asking to have access to a ski site like that. Looks like a no-brainer to me. I would definately go for it.

#47of100TeamMC
05-25-2007, 09:22 AM
I would love to have an opportunity like the one you have. There is nothing like that available around here. I would be willing to pay a lot more than they are asking to have access to a ski site like that. Looks like a no-brainer to me. I would definately go for it.

Ditto, the only thing I know of in the twin cities is in Shakopee at the quarry. a few guys on here or at least 1 I know of ski there...

Anybody wanna pool their money and build us a sweet site like that on the East side of the cities to Western Wi? (ok, we'd probably have to rob a bank to cover the difference but hey!

east tx skier
05-25-2007, 11:13 AM
For me, it's worth it. $75 per year for the whole family (plus AWSA membership for insurance). Use of two courses (one on a virtually private city owned lake with a no skiing rule except for our ski club). You get a free hamburger, too, if you can make the meeting.

barefoot
05-25-2007, 02:32 PM
So...when you talk about ski clubs, I think show skiing. But it sounds as if ya' all mean slalom course skiing. There are clubs out there that strictly focus on that? Interesting...here in Wisconsin, it's all about show skiing.

You might as well join a club. If that's what you do, why not pay a little extra for the opportunity to ski a place where there is limited access. IMHO, that's a no brainer

ski36short
05-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Do it, you won't regret it. The club I am in is not picture perfect but skiing conditions are virtually ideal - the only complaints are late evening sun (it's an E-W lake) and a short setup on one end (you get used to it). No worrying about if the wind is right, if the b*******s are out, if the course will come up, if the buoys are all there, if it's been damaged, waking the neighbors, etc. Just pay your money, show up, and ski whenever you want. If the (club's) 'Bu is running anyway... :)