PDA

View Full Version : @#$% Steering cable installation on 205V!!...

beatle78
05-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Hey guys,

I've spent all night trying to fish a new steering cable under the gas tank. I even unscrewed the tank and pryed it up a bit to try to get the cable underneath..... The floor board is up I can see everything but NOTHING!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

no @#$@#$ way is that cable going through. I have my rope all duct taped to the cable and I'm pulling and pushing and nothing!!!!..... The thing goes like 8" under the tank and then stops.....

what else can I try????

JimN
05-22-2007, 09:24 PM
There are probably some tie wraps still in place somewhere or it's wrapped around something else. How big is the rope? That could be the problem. I always use a piece of wire, long enough to reach from the rudder to the point where the cable goes from the driver's position into the bilge. That way, it doesn't take up much space and restrict it when pulling toward the front. When I have the old one up to the front, I tie the new one on and pull it back so it can be installed. If you can get a helper, it can be easier. If the helper is young, you can teach them some new words.

What year is the boat?

beatle78
05-22-2007, 09:50 PM
thanks Jim. It's a 2001.

I actually used an extension cord with the plug chopped off the end. Perhaps I should use one of the wires in the extension cord and not the whole thing.....

The only thing I see that can get in the way is the wiring harness.....

I'm gonna try to get a helper (adult) to help out tomorrow....

tonight was the icing on the cake since I first started to install my new PP and the throttle linkage cable was too short. Looks like they sent the wrong one. I think the LTR engine uses a bugger cable......

kskib046
05-22-2007, 10:31 PM
untie the rope from the cable (leave it under the gas tank though, just in case), and push the cable through. that worked for me, as the rope got wrapped around something under there. try to push the cable toward the keel, that seemed to work the best.

JimN
05-22-2007, 11:15 PM
You should be OK with both. I use a piece of speaker wire. It could be the collar nut hanging up under the tank, too. Loosen the tabs that hold it down and slide a flat piece of wood under the tank to raise it.

etakk7
05-22-2007, 11:28 PM
so you got the old cable out of there and you are able to get the new one all the way to the gas tank? I'm surprised that is where you are getting hung up. I'm assuming the cable is folded all the way in?

etakk7
05-22-2007, 11:29 PM
BTW, the PP servo cable is longer for the LTR. It is a different kit.

beatle78
05-23-2007, 08:30 AM
yah, I thought In was past the hard part, but the new cable is taped in the "closed" position. I went back to investigate and I noticed when the cable got hung up and I went to the stern and pulled the extension cord that the steering cable moved macked to the bow. This means that the cable and the cord are getting hung up around something else down there.

I'm gonna try what kskib046 said and untie the cord and leave it up front in case I need it. Then just try to push the cable through.....

so close...... hopefully tonight I can wrap this up....

thanks etakk7 for confirmation on the PP servo cable. Hopefully I can get the correct one by this weekend.

beatle78
05-24-2007, 09:52 AM
turns out it was the extension cable and the steering cable getting hooked around something under the gas tank. I took off the extension cable and the steering cable slid through in about 5 seconds.......

thanks for the suggestions...

beatle78
05-24-2007, 10:00 AM
quick question: I took off the clamp that holds the threaded insert that the cable screws into [where the grease fitting is](towards the stern) and I forgot to mark where the treaded insert was mounted to on the clamp.

Can someone please take a quick measurement for me?

thanks!!!

beatle78