PDA

View Full Version : Improvements in Trick Skis

kdjose
05-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Hello all, been out of the loop for about 20 yrs with a house full of little girls. Just bought a new (to me) MC, and can't wait to get out on my trick ski. When I bought my connelly in '88, it was one of the first with a little concave surface to it, and I love it. Have trick ski's evolved with major improvements that would make upgrading worth it? I love my ski, and really have no desire to plunk down $600 for a new 'un. thanks!

rodltg2
05-22-2007, 07:06 PM
i may be wrong but it doesnt seem like you see much trick skiing anymore. so i dont think too many advnaces have been made. all i can suggest is maybe replace the binding with a new one. those have definately changed.

88 PS190
05-22-2007, 07:16 PM
lol... Yes there has.

There are definately great trick skis on the market.

What there are available fall into two classes. The same stuff as always like obrien's pair of trick skis which are almost the same as ones from the 80's and then there are the goodmans, D3's etc. etc.

Definate changes.

I have this obrien with a wileys, Can barely do anything on that ski.

ROde this D3 that some friend had, increadible.

I am not a good tricker, its just something to screw around with,

BUt I did get up 3rd pull on one trick ski, never have rode two of them.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-22-2007, 07:35 PM
One of the guys I ski with is a very good trick skier and he is always trying to get kids into trick skiing. Last summer one of the girls who he was working with skied on an Obrien. One day she gave one of his skis a try and instantly could do stuff she wasn't even close to getting on her own ski. I remember her dad groaning about the cost of trick skiing going up that day (he pretty much had to get her a new ski). The new ones are pricey....not sure if you'll be able to get on the water (ski and binding) for the $600 you mention.

sethro
05-23-2007, 10:02 AM
kdjose,

Is that a Connelly HC tricker? If so, I don't think there have been many, if any, changes in that ski. The biggest difference now is when you buy a new one there are no graphics...just a solid black ski. Many friends I ski with all use the HC trick ranging from late 80's neon colors to a "late model" 2006...all skis are the same. I just picked up a used Obrien to try and compare with my mid 90's vintage Connelly HC.

Seth

chudson
05-23-2007, 10:59 AM
I agree about the new bindings (adjustable) even if you move to a newer ski you can pass the old one on to the kids!!! What MC did you get?

c640947
05-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Get a wakeboard and take off the fins. That's what I did back in the day and I haven't tricked since. That was about 14 years ago. Just cause they do crazy huge inverts in the videos doesn't mean you can't pop a bunch of off the wake 180s or something. Unless you like to do toe tricks, but if you haven't tricked in a long time that could end in a lot of falling.... Having a solid tricking base makes for good wakeboarding. Throwing a huge grabbed 3 off a double up is a lot more fun than the 1 wake 3 I used to do on a tricker....

kdjose
05-23-2007, 07:41 PM
thanks for the help! Pretty sure my ski is an HC with some neon graphics. I was a @3,000 pt tricker, so not great, but enuf to place in WI state a few times.

Chudson: I skied with the Bats for a summer, and was in the Skeeters from age 9ish before that were/are you a bat? -- sorry I'll miss the mayhem, won't be in MW until early August. For a little nostalgia, look at my photo gallery to see a postcard of my Dad skiing at the Aqua Bowl in 1955.

My boat is a '90 prostar 190 powerslot. Gonna ski the reserviors here in NM until we take the boat up north. I guess I'll look at the D3 and HO site to see if they conduct demo's anywhere and see if I can make that happen. Meanwhile, I love my Connelly! Maybe I'll even get that flip I've been trying for 25 years!

kj

betsy&david Harrison
05-23-2007, 08:04 PM
kdjose, see if you can demo a D3. At the Nationals last year that is the trick ride all the top riders were using.

uawaterskier
05-24-2007, 10:33 PM
thats what i ride. I have a 06 D3 custom X hardedge. I think every trick skies different. I LOVE the way it tracks. However if your doing toe, ive heard the older skies are better.

88 PS190
06-05-2007, 05:29 PM
you'll notice D3 still sells that rubber lip for toes.

But ya, many people on the Goodman and D3 ski.