PDA

View Full Version : Got Voltage Regulator? 75 Stars & Stripes 302 C.I.

PsychoatLarge
05-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Hey, the old boat wouldn't start this spring. Found external voltage regulator for the alternator was shorted and dragging down the voltage at the ballast resistor. Any ideas where the best place to look for a new regulator is??? Local Auto parts ? Somewhere on the web ?? Any ideas ? It's a 1975 stars and stripes with a 302 Holman Moody Ford. Thanks

Slinkyredfoot
05-22-2007, 01:35 PM
I have a 79 SS with 351PC, I replaced my voltage regulator two season agao and got it at the local NAPA store....is your like a sqaure silver litlle box?

PsychoatLarge
05-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Got one today at the local Napa store. $35 Thanks

PsychoatLarge
05-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Still having charging issues on my 1975 Mastercraft with 302 ford. Replaced voltage regulator then replaced alternator. Does anyone know how regulator is supposed to be connected. I hooked it up per instructions from alternator rebuild guy and he suggested that the I terminal go to ignition power, the A terminal to battery positive, and F terminal to alternator field, with the regulator case grounded. He said to leave the S terminal without a wire because it was for the charge light and I don't have one. Does this sound right or does anybody know where I can find a wiring diagram. Thanks

aellicson
08-10-2007, 08:02 PM
What's Up. I have a 75 Star and Strips also and I'm having the same issues. Did you ever figure out how to hook up the voltage regulator? I was told the same thing with the A going to the battery. Tried this but no change. I also have a S terminal and don't have a charge light. Should I disconnect the "S" Wire?

PsychoatLarge
08-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Never got mine working right with the external regulator. Ended up switching to a one wire alternator with an internal regulator, running a new wire directly from the new alternator straight to the battery, and replacing the amp meter with a volt meter because it was causing a voltage drop. It charges great now but you have to get it up over 1500 r.p.m.s to build a field to start it charging. It cost about $350 for the new marine alternator with the built in regulator but we had to go through several different manufacturers of them to find one that would physically fit in the hole. Also had to do a massive amount of carb. work on it this year but that's a different story. It runs fantasic now.
Our boat has large blue stripe with 2 small red stripes and white stars, red white and blue. It also has the Holman Moody racing engine. It's awesome...........

JimN
08-12-2007, 05:46 PM
You can get it to charge at lower RPM by using a smaller alternator pulley. If you run at high RPM on a regular basis, as opposed to mid-RPM, the alternator bearings may fail sooner but if there's not too much difference in diameter, I wouldn't worry.