PDA

View Full Version : boat lift motor

baedriver
05-22-2007, 11:50 AM
I have a shorestation 4000lb cable lift and want to hook up 12 volt power to it (boat lift motor). this cranking is getting old! Wanted to know if anyone had one for sale or any ideas.

Datdude
05-22-2007, 11:52 AM
PM at you......

bigmac
05-22-2007, 01:16 PM
I have a shorestation 4000lb cable lift and want to hook up 12 volt power to it (boat lift motor). this cranking is getting old! Wanted to know if anyone had one for sale or any ideas.In many respects, it's a price/performance thing. The most commonly used OEM lift motor is the Shore Commander (http://www.commanderproductsllc.com/). They're well-made with great customer support and easily retro-fittable to your Shore Station (here is the Shore Station install manual for the Shore Commander (http://www.commanderproductsllc.com/pdfs/ShoreStationDC.pdf)). You could also retrofit a Shore Station brand direct drive lift motor - it's a nice unit (made by Commander Products, that makes the Shore Commander). Or, look at the SSDC2 12v motor that Shore Station sells.

Another cheaper but less elegant solution is a Lift Mate (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=12V_Lift_Mate_with_quick_connect _boat_battery&r=view&i=29877&aID=). I had one on my boat lift for many years, on an old Shore Station steel cantilever and then my Pier Pleasure. It's simple to install. Not exactly elegant, but it's cheap and it works great. I always ran the thing off of my boat battery. Overtons sell them for $570.

http://www.overtons.com/assets/images/products/large/29877L.jpg

The Lift Mate was actually invented by a guy from here who was a friend of mine. He did most of his early prototyping on my boat (Bayliner, at that time) and my steel cantilever Shore Station, using it to check 12 volt current draw and effect on the boat battery. Then, last year when I ditched the Lift Mate for the Shore Commander so I could use 120 volts, I found out while making a call to their customer service that Commander Enterprises LLC is right here in my little town, in fact right across the lake from me, and it's owned by a guy I used to ride to Sturgis with every year, managed by his son-in-law and daughter.

pflcjl
05-22-2007, 08:13 PM
I just bought a comander lift motor new on ebay for $450. It is custom made for the shore station and is extremely well engineered. excellent instructions and takes 30 mins to install max. Go on ebay and search on boat lifts and it should come up. It is key operated and runs off AC shore power. My neighbor has since purchased one. I forget the name of the dealer but he was very helpful and responsive.

bigmac
05-23-2007, 08:18 AM
I just bought a comander lift motor new on ebay for $450. It is custom made for the shore station and is extremely well engineered. excellent instructions and takes 30 mins to install max. Go on ebay and search on boat lifts and it should come up. It is key operated and runs off AC shore power. My neighbor has since purchased one. I forget the name of the dealer but he was very helpful and responsive.

That's a heck of a deal! Local dock places around here sell that unit for about $1000.

BuoyChaser
05-23-2007, 09:36 AM
i second the shore commander, between all our ski buddies we have about 5 of these installed on lifts, works great and easy to install yourself...i've got a hewitt cantilever, cool remotes too!!!

http://www.commanderproductsllc.com/

bigmac
05-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Their "factory" is about 2 blocks from my office. It's a pretty cool operation, kind of a family-run organization. Donny is really a bright guy, and they are very serious about quality and customer service. I drive right by them every day on the way to work, but never knew it was lift motors they were making. I wish I'd known that before I dropped 8 bills with my dock store on that unit. It's always possible to barter a vasectomy or something.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-23-2007, 10:24 AM
It's always possible to barter a vasectomy or something.
Ouch:eek3:

pflcjl
05-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Here is the ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Commander-110V-Direct-Drive-Boat-Hoist-Boat-Lift-Motor_W0QQitemZ260121902981QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2644 6QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

wheelerlake
07-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Bump! How are all your Shore Commanders working these days? We've had one for many years and now it's giving us issues. For a while it would chatter when we used the remote to go up and down, then it would work sporadically, now nothing. Got a new antenna as that is the "motherboard" and even the keypad won't work if the antenna doesn't. That didn't solve the problem, worked once then stopped working. Waiting for another call from Steve, customer service. Today we used the key to the drill to raise the lift and after we did that for a while, it worked for a bit. Maybe brushes in the motor are bad? Trying to troubleshoot here and wondering if anyone else went through this with theirs. In the past we've had to increase the torque on it, also. I don't know if this had anything to do with it or not. The lift stays in the water all year long, we cover the motor with tarps, etc. for the winter.

Lars
07-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Do you have the AC or DC model? If you've got the 12v version try connecting a battery right to the motor and see if that works.

wheelerlake
07-18-2012, 01:07 AM
AC model. It's about 8 years old, black box on top and blue motor on bottom with remotes and light for under the canopy.

Lars
07-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Gotcha. the AC motor shouldn't have any brushes in it. The motor on mine is a 3 phase motor that can also run on single phase power. Look up online how to wire power directly to the motor and see if the motor works, unless you're confident the motor isn't the problem. The controller is basically just a small VFD, which is dependent on large capacitors to work. Caps are known to go bad in audio gear, so i'd imagine it'd be the same for a VFD. Don't touch them tho, they can still carry large voltage :)

Granite_33
07-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Your best bet may be to take it to a motor repair shop. Seems like you need to determine if the motor is still operating, or the power to the motor is causing the problem (ie the switch and board) The motor repair shop guys know how to test these to see what the problem is.

Mine is an AC and went sporadic on us. I thought we burned a winding and the motor was toast. However the motor shop took a look at it and determined it was a broken wire in the Up/Down switch box. Re-soldered it back on and its like new.

Not sure about your comment on the torque? Motors of this nature are usually designed with torque in mind. Add in the reduced gearing and the motor may be spinning at 900 RPM but producing 90 RPM at the lift crank. Is there a switch to increase the torque?

Lars
07-23-2012, 01:21 PM
there is a way to program the box to change what frequency it will operate the motor at. Typically you want a lower frequency (more torque) for lifting vs going down.