PDA

View Full Version : MC trailering cover - RESIDUE!?!

Tim205
05-22-2007, 09:52 AM
I have a new MC trailering cover for my fairly new 205V. It is the factory cover with the ratchet strap in the back and vacum vents on the side.

Man, after using it once or twice, the inside of the cover left a thin but sticky residue on the boat. I spent all day Sunday washing and waxing it off!

Did anyone else experience this? I trust it must stop after break-in. Any tips? Thanks, Tim.

BuoyChaser
05-22-2007, 10:07 AM
yes, use lots of 303 protectant on the vinyl to make cleaning easier and 303 spot cleaner on the black marks it will leave on the rear seat, the only way to combat a problem cover...

be like the rest of us and buy a decent cover from www.skiboatcovers.com

see post http://tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16422

Andyg
05-22-2007, 10:34 AM
On my 2003 cover it never stopped leaving that residue. I had three different covers for that boat and they all did the same thing.

My 2007 cover is a different material and doesn't leave the residue.

Tim205
05-22-2007, 11:14 AM
yes, use lots of 303 protectant on the vinyl to make cleaning easier and 303 spot cleaner on the black marks it will leave on the rear seat, the only way to combat a problem cover...

be like the rest of us and buy a decent cover from www.skiboatcovers.com

see post http://tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16422

I'm with you BuoyChaser. I did buy a waterline cover from skiboatcovers.com, but it doesn't seem "trailerable." It fits great, and is mostly tight, but there are spots that I think there would be gelcoat "burn" after driving highway speeds.

I am a little freaked out. Are you guys saying that the residue never goes away!?! Even after the cover is used and used and used?

PS - Do any of you guys trailer with the skiboatcovers.com cover?

Sodar
05-22-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm with you BuoyChaser. I did buy a waterline cover from skiboatcovers.com, but it doesn't seem "trailerable." It fits great, and is mostly tight, but there are spots that I think there would be gelcoat "burn" after driving highway speeds.

I am a little freaked out. Are you guys saying that the residue never goes away!?! Even after the cover is used and used and used?

Best thing to do is call Mike at Skiboatcovers.com and ask him to make you a flannel "under-cover." He quoted me ~$200 for one and I plan on ordering it in a week or two. Basically, with the it, it provides a nice, soft layer between the gelcoat and the MC tow cover, eliminating swirls, scratchs and residue

BuoyChaser
05-22-2007, 11:21 AM

i never trailer with a cover, always too great a chance of cover rash, so that means i never drive it in the rain or on wet roads, but i've got a pond in my backyard, too...

as for the "residue", that is correct it does go away, but when it goes away is when it starts leaving black dye on the vinyl it touches and every year requires 303 fabric guard waterproofing to make it even closely resemble sunbrella fabric...why they don't offer it from the get-go is beyond me?!?

BuoyChaser
05-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Best thing to do is call Mike at Skiboatcovers.com and ask him to make you a flannel "under-cover." He quoted me ~$200 for one and I plan on ordering it in a week or two. Basically, with the it, it provides a nice, soft layer between the gelcoat and the MC tow cover, eliminating swirls, scratchs and residue
interesting concept, now does the flannel still breath???i definitely need to give MIke a call, because my biggest concern is sun protection, not waterproof protection...

Sodar
05-22-2007, 11:34 AM
interesting concept, now does the flannel still breath???i definitely need to give MIke a call, because my biggest concern is sun protection, not waterproof protection...

I do not know about breathability. I intend to use the under-cover ONLY under the towcover, for when I tow. A few friends with high performance, custom boats use the same thing under their tow covers and it works great for them, so I am gunna try it out.

Tim205
05-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Wow - I love the idea of the flannel "jacket" under the cover! I'm going to give Mike a call. Are any of you guys planning on towing with the "waterline" cover?

Sodar
05-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Wow - I love the idea of the flannel "jacket" under the cover! I'm going to give Mike a call. Are any of you guys planning on towing with the "waterline" cover?

I towed ONCE with my skiboatcovers.com waterline cover because I towed the boat with a diesel pusher motorhome and did not want the exhaust all in the boat. It towed OK... I put the poles up, used flannel blankets around the edges and snugged it down with tie straps. I noticed a little bulging and flapping on the sides towards the rear...