PDA

View Full Version : Backing a tandom axle

emnesto
05-21-2007, 11:31 PM
I needed to move my X-45 to a new storage facility over the winter. The new place has a little less room for my approach. When backing in, the angle gets close to 70 degrees. I'm not having problems getting the trailer to go where I want, but I am concerned with the tires, At some parts of the turn they look very distorted because tandom axles don't swing like a single axle will. Any advice on how to minimize the problem? (Throw water on the asphalt? Spray the tread with silicon?) Even though they look distorted, am I really doing any long term harm? Help me with your experience.

Monte
05-22-2007, 12:57 AM
I needed to move my X-45 to a new storage facility over the winter. The new place has a little less room for my approach. When backing in, the angle gets close to 70 degrees. I'm not having problems getting the trailer to go where I want, but I am concerned with the tires, At some parts of the turn they look very distorted because tandom axles don't swing like a single axle will. Any advice on how to minimize the problem? (Throw water on the asphalt? Spray the tread with silicon?) Even though they look distorted, am I really doing any long term harm? Help me with your experience.

Why are you storing your boat NOW???:confused: :confused:

sand2snow22
05-22-2007, 01:16 AM
I have to go 70-90 degrees to get into my driveway everytime I put the boat away and I have a tandem. I know what your talking about, but I don't see any reason to be concerned. Think of it as putting your car in park and turning the wheel all the way to one side and then the other. Not great for the tires, but no biggy.....

Hrkdrivr
05-22-2007, 03:49 AM
you're not hurting anything. Heck, C-130 tire trucks do the same thing in a turn!

If it makes you feel better, when you get it positioned, pull forward to realign the wheels and then ease it back again, if you have the room.

TMCNo1
05-22-2007, 07:42 AM
It's just the nature of the beast! The distortion of the tires has been going on since the caveman invented the wheel and started pulling tandom axle wagons behind their wives!

trickskier
05-22-2007, 10:17 AM
I have to jack my trailer pretty hard as well to get it in my garage. As far as I know I'm not doing any damage to the trailer......

Sodar
05-22-2007, 11:03 AM
I have never had a problem wrenching on an tandem axle watersports boat trailer. HOWEVER, I did break an axle on a triple axle trailer. That trailer had been used in salt though and was pretty rusty. I would say that if you have trailer tires and you release the torque once you get the boat where is it staying, you will be fine.

bec1971
05-22-2007, 12:12 PM
I am glad to see this thread. I too am new to the Mastercraft world and have the tandem trailer. When backing into the driveway it look as if the wheels were loose. I checked and they were tight. So this thread put my mind at ease.

flyingskibiker
05-22-2007, 02:07 PM
i've seen the wheels come completely off the ground when i flipped a U-ey when i drove trucks. i would see some major scuff marks on the tires sometimes. but as people have said, "nature of the beast". other than some "additional" tire wear, if you aren't going faster than typical backing up speeds (more stress?), it shouldn't be a problem. you probably do the same thing when pulling foward into those tight parking spaces at the ramp, pulling into a gas station, etc...