PDA

View Full Version : WAR with Boat Buddy!!

SDAhockey21
05-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Went to war with the boat buddy today!

And this is how it turned out. Thanks TMC#1 for the awesome idea. I knew i needed to do it sometime or another and today seemed like a good day.

I covered the whole dam thing. NO MORE will boat buddy sink its teeth into my beautiful gel coat!!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2861.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2864.jpg

Thanks for all the great ideas all you guys come up with on here! This site is awesome!

-Sam

swatguy
05-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Where did you get that carpet? Did you just attach it to the rubber or did you redo the whole thing? Very curious as I"d love to not have to buff that rubber off my bow weekly. Looks sweet

Thanks

fintek9
05-21-2007, 10:30 PM
now that's "fintek" at its finest, good job. that was going to be my project next week!!! I like your idea going full coverage!!!!!!

SDAhockey21
05-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Where did you get that carpet? Did you just attach it to the rubber or did you redo the whole thing? Very curious as I"d love to not have to buff that rubber off my bow weekly. Looks sweet

Thanks

Regular trailer bunk carpet works. You can get it at Walmart, etc.

dmayer84
05-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Think I am going to do this as will since the boat is now in its slip. I have some spare commerical grade carpet lying around. Do you think that it will do the job, or am I going to have to go special?

SDAhockey21
05-21-2007, 11:19 PM
i just used what i had laying around, nothing special

TMCNo1
05-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Nice job, just be sure to use spray wax on the surfaces the hull will slide against before you put it on!

Sodar
05-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Nice job, just be sure to use spray wax on the surfaces the hull will slide against before you put it on!

What spray wax do you recommend Harold? I gotta spray all my bunks down this weekend, as it seems like I have one of those doomed 197 trailers... :mad:

chudson
05-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Google "boat buddy" and see what you get!!!

TMCNo1
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
What spray wax do you recommend Harold? I gotta spray all my bunks down this weekend, as it seems like I have one of those doomed 197 trailers... :mad:

I use Meguiars QuickWax, carnuba, cause I just happen to have some. Use a big towel or a piece of cardboard behind the bunk as you spray or a light breeze will make it drift on everything in sight and then you have to remove it from the trailer frame and fenders. It's handy for quick touchup waxing too!

rstitson
05-23-2007, 08:24 PM
The dealer told me a story about a customer that waxed his bunks. Forgot to set the dog on his winch and the boat ended up on the ground half way up the ramp. Thousands of dollars of gel coat and drive repair.

JohnE
05-23-2007, 09:39 PM
The dealer told me a story about a customer that waxed his bunks. Forgot to set the dog on his winch and the boat ended up on the ground half way up the ramp. Thousands of dollars of gel coat and drive repair.

There were some comments about this sort of thing in a recent thread about 197 trailers.

georgea0731
05-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Looks great, I tried something similar, but the carpet kept coming off.
WHAT glue did you use? Hope your's stays on longer than mine did.
Great job!

SDAhockey21
05-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Harold knows the stuff....I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Ahh Its from 3m i got it at ACE.........BLANK>>>>>>>

SDAhockey21
05-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Harold knows the stuff....I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Ahh Its from 3m i got it at ACE.........BLANK>>>>>>>

TMCNo1
05-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Looks great, I tried something similar, but the carpet kept coming off.
WHAT glue did you use? Hope your's stays on longer than mine did.
Great job!

3M High Tack #76 (Ace Hardware)(auto paint supply stores) and spray on each surface and let dry, then stick together like contact cement, mine's been on for 10 years and hasn't come off yet.

Michael Epp
06-16-2007, 02:04 PM
That does look great! But why can't MC do this for us...or alternatively attach a stainless steal plate between the bow hook and rub rail (other high end boat manufacturers do this). In my opinion, owners should not have to take this kind of action in order to protect the gel coat. My new X-15 (10 hours) is already scratched from the Boat Buddy...very frustrating. As owners, we need to encourage MC to take action on this issue.

jclose8
06-16-2007, 03:25 PM
I usually make this comment every time this discussion comes up.... on here and on other boating and watersports forums. I'll bring it up again, although I haven't heard one positive comment yet from all the numerous times I have suggested it. I don't understand it, either... It works PERFECTLY. I have ZERO marks on my boat. Ever.

Soak the boat buddy with liberal amounts of Armor All. It makes it slippery, easier to load, and it doesn't leave marks.

Will someone PLEASE try it this time????

ProTour X9
06-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Go to war with the boat buddy, i don't trust it. (does it sound like Bush logic?)

TMCNo1
06-16-2007, 04:07 PM
That does look great! But why can't MC do this for us...or alternatively attach a stainless steal plate between the bow hook and rub rail (other high end boat manufacturers do this). In my opinion, owners should not have to take this kind of action in order to protect the gel coat. My new X-15 (10 hours) is already scratched from the Boat Buddy...very frustrating. As owners, we need to encourage MC to take action on this issue.

Why, because MC does not manufacture the Boat buddy and 90% of the boaters out there could care less whether the Boat Buddy marks up their boat or not. They are lucky if they even change the oil in their boat!

TMCNo1
06-16-2007, 04:16 PM
I usually make this comment every time this discussion comes up.... on here and on other boating and watersports forums. I'll bring it up again, although I haven't heard one positive comment yet from all the numerous times I have suggested it. I don't understand it, either... It works PERFECTLY. I have ZERO marks on my boat. Ever.

Soak the boat buddy with liberal amounts of Armor All. It makes it slippery, easier to load, and it doesn't leave marks.

Will someone PLEASE try it this time????

The reason it works for you is, you know what function it serves, you know how to use it properly and/or have adapted to make it work to your advantage.

ProTour X9
06-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Why, because MC does not manufacture the Boat buddy and 90% of the boaters out there could care less whether the Boat Buddy marks up their boat or not. They are lucky if they even change the oil in their boat!

Oil, what oil??????:confused: : ;) :rolleyes:

P.S. When my dad saw your boat n' rig I don't think you'd like to hear what he said.:o

TMCNo1
06-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Oil, what oil??????:

P.S. When my dad saw your boat n' rig I don't think you'd like to hear what he said.

:popcorn: :uglyhamme :popcorn:

Farmer Ted
06-16-2007, 10:57 PM
it would be nice to see the boat buddy made in that non-marring stuff like keel rollers

TMCNo1
06-17-2007, 06:45 AM
it would be nice to see the boat buddy made in that non-marring stuff like keel rollers

Contact these people and make the recommendation and see what they say, http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/, they maunfacture the Boat Buddy.