PDA

View Full Version : Engine Misfire solved

hardycm
05-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Just wanted to share what I learned recently on my '88 PS 190. I've had an engine miss for about 2 years. I've tried nearly everything to get rid of it -- electronic conversion, new wires, rotor, cap, new ignition wires, etc. I considered a new coil but after posting was told that couldn't be it -- coils either work or they don't.

Well, I've proven that is false. I finally decided to replace the last remaining piece of the ignition system - the coil. Now my PS 190 runs like a scalded dog. Just wanted to share that learning for anyone else who might be trying to diagnose a misfire.

88 PS190
05-21-2007, 12:52 PM
coils are strange beasts, normally if the thing is working it just is. And it produces enough to be fine.

What i'd guess at was that the connections to the coil were kind of shoddy. Did you keep the old one? It'd be interesting to clean the contacts up and see if it still missfired.

TMCNo1
05-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Just wanted to share what I learned recently on my '88 PS 190. I've had an engine miss for about 2 years. I've tried nearly everything to get rid of it -- electronic conversion, new wires, rotor, cap, new ignition wires, etc. I considered a new coil but after posting was told that couldn't be it -- coils either work or they don't.

Well, I've proven that is false. I finally decided to replace the last remaining piece of the ignition system - the coil. Now my PS 190 runs like a scalded dog. Just wanted to share that learning for anyone else who might be trying to diagnose a misfire.

That is one reason Prestolite, Skidim and others, recommend changing the 8v coil to a 12v with the electronic ignition conversion too, but there are those non-believers.

betsy&david Harrison
05-21-2007, 01:11 PM
We did all that, still had issues, just changed the thermos stat and what a difference. David hadn't changed it in 4 to 5 years. Boat runs like it is brand new.