PDA

View Full Version : K&N air filter instead of flame arrestor?

etakk7
05-21-2007, 12:26 AM
I've got an LTR engine from 2000 that has just the flame arrestor. I can get a sweet deal on a K&N filter that will fit. Has anybody put a K&N on this engine? I'm assuming they work better since all the new engines have them?

milkmania
05-21-2007, 01:01 AM
I've got an LTR engine from 2000 that has just the flame arrestor. I can get a sweet deal on a K&N filter that will fit. Has anybody put a K&N on this engine? I'm assuming they work better since all the new engines have them?

if I remember right, if it's not marine approved flame arrestor, the DNR can and will fine you:twocents:

but, ICBW:rolleyes:

JimN
05-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Not the DNR that levies fines for that, it's the Coast Guard. Replacing the OEM flame arrestor on an LTR with a K&N will probably not change anything. It's not like the original is a paper filter and usually, when people switch and rave about the difference, about 90% should have been replaced a long time before. The LT-1 came with a K&N from the beginning, so it's not like they couldn't have used it on the LTR but if you want to spend the money and most likely not see any change, go ahead. The OEM arrestor is a lot easier to clean than a K&N, too.

dsoby
05-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Speaking of cleaning, how does one clean the air filter on an LTR engine. Mine is an '02 if that matters?

JimN
05-21-2007, 09:01 AM
If any spray is used, do it from the inside. I use NAPA carb cleaner in the blue can. Not the environmentally friendly kind but it works really well and less is needed. If you have access to a parts washer, you can use that, too. Once the cleaner is sprayed in from the backside of the element, you can let it sit for a while and then use compressed air to blow it out.

dsoby
05-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks Jim

bigmac
05-21-2007, 09:18 AM
The Coast Guard is responsible for enforcing federal law. Those laws include boat manufacturing, so if MasterCraft were manufacturing their boats using a non-USCG-approved flame arrestor, the Coast Guard would write them a ticket. Or something.

OTOH, the operation of a boat on non-federal waters is the purview of the individual states and enforced by state-commissioned law enforcement agencies such as the DNR or perhaps local agencies like the Sheriff's dept. I wanted to clarify in case Etakk might be thinking that the absence of Coast Guard cutters on his lake might mean he could get away with non-USCG-approved equipment on his boat. When the DNR pulls him over for an inspection, they'll look to see if he has, among other things, a horn, fire extinguisher, USCG-approved PFD's and a USCG-approved flame arrestor, assuming his state's boating regulations actually requires these things. Virtually all do, AFAIK. While the government can't require states to require such equipment, I'm sure that there's federal funding that would be forfeit if they don't.

bigmac
05-21-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm guessing that a flame arrestor would be irrelevant on a multipoint fuel injected engine. What about throttle-body EFI? Can they flash back?

André
05-21-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm guessing that a flame arrestor would be irrelevant on a multipoint fuel injected engine. What about throttle-body EFI? Can they flash back?
Yes they can.

etakk7
05-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Not looking to do anything illegal or stupid. I assume the newer engines have a flame arrestor built into the filter then?

trickskier
05-21-2007, 12:32 PM

Check out this website, K&N makes replacement Marine Flame Arrestors

http://www.knfilters.com/marine/boats.htm

bigmac
05-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Not looking to do anything illegal or stupid. I assume the newer engines have a flame arrestor built into the filter then?A flame arrestor is the intake filter. It can't be paper-based like a K&N or else it could burn if there was a flashback, so they're typically all metal. With carbs and apparently throttle-body EFI, you have a single device right under the engine air intake that's dumping raw fuel. A backfire through the carb could flash into the engine compartment, start a K&N filter on fire. Multipoint EFI as on current engines like the MCX doesn't have a carb or throttle body - fuel is delivered to each cylinder directly. Therefore there can be no flash back from right below the intake, therefore the intake filter can be paper.

trickskier
05-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Bigmac, I certainly don't want to argue with you. However, according to what I see on K & N's website their air cleaners are approved as Marine Flame Arrestors............including carbureted engines.http://www.knfilters.com/marine/boats.htm

bobbyB
05-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Speaking of cleaning, how does one clean the air filter on an LTR engine. Mine is an '02 if that matters?

K&N makes a "recharge" kit for cleaning and recharging the filter. If I remember it was about $20-$25 a couple of years ago, and can be used multiple times. I recharge mine once a year during spring cleaning.

B

bigmac
05-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Bigmac, I certainly don't want to argue with you. However, according to what I see on K & N's website their air cleaners are approved as Marine Flame Arrestors............including carbureted engines.http://www.knfilters.com/marine/boats.htm

Yep. I'm wrong.