PDA

View Full Version : Man, WHY can't I get MC parts that FIT???

Storm861triple
05-20-2007, 10:28 PM
First it was the strut. Bought one new from the MC dealer, didn't fit. Tried another new one from the MC dealer, didn't fit. Modified to make it fit.

Last year, its was the right 1/3 windshield segment. $800 bux, and the MF'er wasn't even CLOSE to fitting right. For $800, the thing should install itself. Since it was the last one in the country, and I couldn't try a different one, I forced it to fit by bending the glass....a LOT. It didn't break. That's good...I guess.

The year, it's a swim platform bracket. Got one from the MC dealer. Doesn't focking FIT!!! Wrong screw hole pattern, wrong size. LOOKS identical, but....nope. Where the dimension count, it won't work. Why can't MC or it's dealers get their chit sorted out w/used boat parts?? This is a "premium brand"!! How about some gad dayum "premium parts SERVICE"! I've got a better 'batting record' w/the local Autozone for car parts...and that's not saying much.

Sorry, but I had to vent. Going to Powell next weekend, needed to fix it this weekend. It's Sunday, part doesn't fit (why am I even surprised??) Of course the dealer is CLOSED on Sundays here in Mo-mo ville. Grrrr.

Vent off...

Farmer Ted
05-20-2007, 10:51 PM
are you ordering your parts with the part number off the old part or having the parts guy look it up for you?

sounds like your dealer doesn't know how to look up parts....

Storm861triple
05-21-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm ordering (trying to anyway) by model and year. I was under the impression that it was the parts person's job to look up part numbers. I wouldn't knwo how to look up paort numbers. I just want:
1. The correct part when I ask for it, and
2. That correct part to be high enough quality, fit and finish so as to FIT my boat.

In 6 years and 600 hours of ownership, I've only bought 1 MC/dealer-only part that was correct, fit and bolted on the first time.

I've got a Powell trip this comming weekend and I've got the wrong part which is less than worthless to me. Dealer takes Sunday/Mondays off (?).

TMCNo1
05-21-2007, 08:07 PM
It would be in your best interest to assure that the parts man @ the MC dealership, calls MC (Toll free number) and verifies with someone in Parts/Customer service that what you are looking to order is the proper parts number and they have the proper part in stock, if any for a '92.
IIRC, the Federal Trade Commission only requires maufacturers to carry model specific replacement parts for a minimum of 10 years, then you are your own for most parts other than OEM engine/drivetrain replacement parts that parts suppliers outside MC carry.

Jim@BAWS
05-21-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm ordering (trying to anyway) by model and year. I was under the impression that it was the parts person's job to look up part numbers. I wouldn't knwo how to look up paort numbers. I just want:
1. The correct part when I ask for it, and
2. That correct part to be high enough quality, fit and finish so as to FIT my boat.

In 6 years and 600 hours of ownership, I've only bought 1 MC/dealer-only part that was correct, fit and bolted on the first time.

I've got a Powell trip this comming weekend and I've got the wrong part which is less than worthless to me. Dealer takes Sunday/Mondays off (?).

I got your email today about the brackets... we are working on it. You may need to purchase a set. Not just one. By the way I am closed on Sundays myself. I need one day with my family. We get telephone calls at 10PM expecting us to be open...we try

Jim@BAWS

Storm861triple
05-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Jim,

Thanks for responding. I need to just start going directly to you, and avoiding my local dealer all together. My experience w/you so far has been very GOOD.

I hear you about needing a day off; everyone does for sure, but why don't dealers just hire a parts kid for the off days? I work at a ski resort that is open 7 days a week for 4 months, and I can assure you that I don't work 7 days a week. I have staff that covers me when I'm off. Perhaps a boat dealership can't afford that? I don't know so I'm just basically asking a question.

I'll buy the brackets as a pair if that's the only way I can get them. I got just the one side bracket and mount from Utah Water Sports and as I said, it doens't fit the boat or the platform, so it's useless to me. My delema is that I'm going to Powell this Friday morning, so I need to have something holding the platform by then. I'm going to try welding the old one back together today and see how it comes out, but consider this a heads-up; if you have the part, I'll be prepaired to pay for some shipping. :)

-Tom

Storm861triple
05-22-2007, 12:11 PM
IIRC, the Federal Trade Commission only requires maufacturers to carry model specific replacement parts for a minimum of 10 years, then you are your own for most parts other than OEM engine/drivetrain replacement parts that parts suppliers outside MC carry.
I realize that the boat is 15 years old, and I'm not having an issue w/parts that are no longer available. As a matter of fact, I would be better off had I been told that the part wasn NOT available (if that were in fact, the case), than be given the wrong part. Had I been told the part was not available, I would have taken steps to find a different solution. Instead, I happily waited for a free day to install the part. That day came, part didn't fit, now I'm going to run out of time before my next trip.

HOPEFULLY, the part IS available, and I can get it shipped to UT by Thursday.

I have no beef w/a company not having parts left for a 15 yo vehicle. I just have a beef w/getting wrong parts, and right parts that don't fit because of poor Q/C.

88 PS190
05-22-2007, 12:11 PM
well, when you're calling up BAWS if you got some kid who didn't know what you were looking for you might just end up with the same problems as you get locally.

Personally if there is a choice between waiting and receiving expertise, and having some kid to do the work I'll wait.

One of the brackets on our boat has been welded in some manner.

Seems to work.

Storm861triple
05-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Personally if there is a choice between waiting and receiving expertise, and having some kid to do the work I'll wait.
Good point.

DooSPX
05-24-2007, 10:17 PM
well, when you're calling up BAWS if you got some kid who didn't know what you were looking for you might just end up with the same problems as you get locally.

I can assure you that you will NOT have that issue with BAWS!!!

Jim@BAWS
05-25-2007, 09:31 AM
I can assure you that you will NOT have that issue with BAWS!!!

Not true at all...Yesteday my wife caught me picking my nose. She did'nt see me eat it. Then last night I spilled my milk and did not have to clean it up because she did it for me...said I was nothing but an immature child.

I guess I am just a BIG KID

HA HA HA

Jim@BAWS

jraben8
05-25-2007, 09:53 AM
"$50 says the Small's kid eats it... You're on..."

--Caddyshack