PDA

View Full Version : Oil bath hubs - how do I add oil?

Kevin_M
05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
I just bought an 03 PS197 and one of the hubs looks low on oil, and there is greasy residue on the interior of the rim. Can someone tell me how to pull out the hub and add oil...so I can safely get to my MC dealer to check it all out (hub and brakes)? Not empty, just low, and traveled 12 hrs home with it and all was fine.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-20-2007, 09:26 PM
I "believe" there is a straight slot screw in the hub. I would think the wheel/hub could be rotated so the "screw" could be removed and once it is at the top, fluid could be added.
However, I don't know I would just add fluid. I would probably repair the leak that caused it to be low first.

I can't find my picture right now to look, but I am pretty sure it is just a screw....

Leroy
05-20-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm glad you answered that WFT, I was thinking tip boat and trailer over on side, pull off oil cover and fill! ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
05-20-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm glad you answered that WFT, I was thinking tip boat and trailer over on side, pull off oil cover and fill! ;)
Or, if the site glass is only half full, rotate one 1/2 turn clockwise(or counterclockwise if you're left handed) and it should be full at the top......8p And if it isn't keep rotating until the oil is at the top...

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-20-2007, 09:55 PM
There are instructions and pictures in this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11116) to help you if yours are the same.