PDA

View Full Version : Got my EZ Slalom course!!!

André
05-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Pulled the trigger on the course last week and last time i tracked the package on UPS,delivery date was thuesday.But when i checked again this morning status was "delivered".
I had it ship to my workplace and left early friday and "The brown guy" showed up in the late pm.Quick drive this morning to retrieve my box and open it only to see there was no instuction manual...:mad:
E mail to Ed with a quick less then 30 minutes reply telling me that the instruction manual was shipped with my bill...:mad:

Well ,like the jerk that i am,sure enough after going to the mailbox,everything was there with a hand written note from Ed himself telling me to enjoy!

After a quick glance through the manual i can easily say that the final install should be a breeze!!!
Thanks to Ed and his team for a REALLY quick delivery with very little extra charges for a Canadian shipping !
The installation manual is really well done with a lots of close ups pics on each parts!
Can't wait to install it but can't find section of 20' 2" pvc on a sunday...

My only concern is about the buoys lines.
Ed's lines are made of 5 foot sections of polyrope with a one foot section of shockcord.So the top of polyropes will be about 12 to 16" under water wich is not enough for clearing i/o wally's props and i'm affraid that somethings will happens...to my course!I've always used 3 feets sections of 1/8 bungee cords before to tie my buoys so that the poly ropes were ALWAYS under3 feets of water.When caught by a prop or PWC the bungee cord was breaking ,releasing the ball with no damages to the prop or rest of the course.
What do you guys think or use to tie the buoys?
Should i be concern with the polyropes ends that close to the surface?

Overall I'm very satisfied with EZ slalom and will post results as soon as the install is finish!

Thanks Ed!:)

#47of100TeamMC
05-20-2007, 04:44 PM
I've had 1 wally hit my EZ course just once enough to damage it. not sure how, but the rope detached from the shockcord at the crimp. So I just tied it back on and walla! back in business. (which reminds me, it is still tied right now, I never fixed it :o . kinda forgot after it served it's purpose the rest of the season.) Anyway, Hopefully if you do have wally troubles that will be the worst of your issues as well.

So what course did you get? the compact turnkey? what options? pregates, novice buoys, 4-6 conversion kit?

Only complaint I have with the portable (every portable not just 1 certain brand) is that the buoys float too high in the water. Ideally they are supposed to be half in and half out. I think they float more like 3/4 out. and if you have the novice buoys attached too... well then it's even worse.

Good Luck man! Post pics of your install, that would be cool!

André
05-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I've had 1 wally hit my EZ course just once enough to damage it. not sure how, but the rope detached from the shockcord at the crimp. So I just tied it back on and walla! back in business. (which reminds me, it is still tied right now, I never fixed it :o . kinda forgot after it served it's purpose the rest of the season.) Anyway, Hopefully if you do have wally troubles that will be the worst of your issues as well.

So what course did you get? the compact turnkey? what options? pregates, novice buoys, 4-6 conversion kit?

Only complaint I have with the portable (every portable not just 1 certain brand) is that the buoys float too high in the water. Ideally they are supposed to be half in and half out. I think they float more like 3/4 out. and if you have the novice buoys attached too... well then it's even worse.

Got the heavy duty SS mailine with all the hardware to built my own arms.It will be a seasonlong install for mine as i live on the lake.
Do you think you could attach a weight to the end of the buoy arm to sink the ball some more?

#47of100TeamMC
05-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Got the heavy duty SS mailine with all the hardware to built my own arms.It will be a seasonlong install for mine as i live on the lake.
Do you think you could attach a weight to the end of the buoy arm to sink the ball some more?

Yeah I could attach a weight to the end of the buoy arm... But I'm just trying to think of what would be the best thing to use for that weight. I just need to take some time and try a few different things to first find out how much weight I need to get them to float right... and 2nd after I know that, come up with some sort of a way to attach them quick and easy. since I throw my course in and pull it out every time I use it. I don't live on a lake, and the one we use is very public.

JohnE
05-20-2007, 08:44 PM
#47,

How long does it take to set up the course each time?

#47of100TeamMC
05-20-2007, 09:34 PM
#47,

How long does it take to set up the course each time?

With 3 of us it takes about 20-25min. Total. Depending on if we setup the novice buoys. I bet we set the whole thing up in about 15-20. We just take a few extra minutes to tension the main line to make sure it won't bow in the middle.

ilikeitglacy
05-20-2007, 10:08 PM

Wouldn't a brick do the job?

east tx skier
05-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Got my portable from Ed as well. Excellent to deal with.

88 PS190
05-20-2007, 10:35 PM
should check. A high ball is dangerous for skiers.

I would consider making a PVC pipe section full of sand and zip tying them to the edge, 6 bricks banging around the interior of your boat would bother me.

well unless its in a bar.

Leroy
05-20-2007, 10:43 PM
THis is great to read Andre! Did you get the dentist option on it? You know pull the string and now easy course!

6ballsisall
05-20-2007, 11:15 PM
THis is great to read Andre! Did you get the dentist option on it? You know pull the string and now easy course!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

BuoyChaser
05-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah I could attach a weight to the end of the buoy arm... But I'm just trying to think of what would be the best thing to use for that weight. I just need to take some time and try a few different things to first find out how much weight I need to get them to float right... and 2nd after I know that, come up with some sort of a way to attach them quick and easy. since I throw my course in and pull it out every time I use it. I don't live on a lake, and the one we use is very public.
sounds like you over-inflated your buoys...put in as little as needed...if you're skiing for competition then the new measurement is 10cm i believe, but inflate to less than that and check after they've expanded fully in the heat of the hottest day in summer, because they will expand...

not much is needed to float the course...

BuoyChaser
05-20-2007, 11:25 PM
With 3 of us it takes about 20-25min. Total. Depending on if we setup the novice buoys. I bet we set the whole thing up in about 15-20. We just take a few extra minutes to tension the main line to make sure it won't bow in the middle.
we use to install with 2 experienced crews and one decent driver (my wife usually) and could set in 15min...

tensioning is KEY to a straight course, especially with wind...on end with tension plans, add a anchor line of course for pulling with a second line and anchor to pull the anchor line buoy out of the way of boat path..

i'd recommend getting pre-gates attached to course, otherwise getting it as an add-on ads another 5-10mins easily...

east tx skier
05-20-2007, 11:52 PM

I've heard of some people putting a little water in the buoys to make them sink a little. I've heard some voice concerns over what happens when the skier hits the buoy though.

André
05-21-2007, 08:56 AM
:D 8p
Too expensive for me!
Also ordered a new Nomad RC so my ski budget is all going toward gas for now on...

#47of100TeamMC
05-21-2007, 10:23 AM
sounds like you over-inflated your buoys...put in as little as needed...if you're skiing for competition then the new measurement is 10cm i believe, but inflate to less than that and check after they've expanded fully in the heat of the hottest day in summer, because they will expand...

not much is needed to float the course...

I heard about the buoys expanding when in the sun... I only put enough air in them to get the crease out of the ball, and they were plenty under the recommended circumfrence and Diameter by quite a bit. But I guess I could always take a bit more out of them and see if that helps any.

I like the water idea... any idea how to get water in through the needle valve?

BuoyChaser
05-21-2007, 10:32 AM
I heard about the buoys expanding when in the sun... I only put enough air in them to get the crease out of the ball, and they were plenty under the recommended circumfrence and Diameter by quite a bit. But I guess I could always take a bit more out of them and see if that helps any.

I like the water idea... any idea how to get water in through the needle valve?
and they are still floating high even at that small size, wow?!?drop Ed at www.EZ-Slalom.com an email or give him a call, he's got a cool invention he came up with that clips on the ends of the balls with magnets to weigh them down!!!

#47of100TeamMC
05-21-2007, 10:35 AM
and they are still floating high even at that small size, wow?!?drop Ed at www.EZ-Slalom.com (http://www.EZ-Slalom.com) an email or give him a call, he's got a cool invention he came up with that clips on the ends of the balls with magnets to weigh them down!!!

Excellent, I'll give him a shout out here in about 5 min!

Thanks,

I've been wanting magnets too! this should work great!

However... not sure magnets will work for PP if they are at the turn ball?

pilot02
05-21-2007, 10:39 AM

Put a little water in your bouys... Adds a little weight to the bags but solves the problem without adding weight to the course itself.

#47of100TeamMC
05-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Put a little water in your bouys... Adds a little weight to the bags but solves the problem without adding weight to the course itself.

Any idea how to get it in there through the needle inflator? does a guy need to get a large cyringe that screws onto the needle?

east tx skier
05-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Any idea how to get it in there through the needle inflator? does a guy need to get a large cyringe that screws onto the needle?

Get one of these football helmet air pumps and keep the bulb underwater when you squeeze.

http://www.robbinssports.com/sporting-goods-store/images/schutt-sports-air-football-helmet-inflator-pump.jpg

#47of100TeamMC
05-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Get one of these football helmet air pumps and keep the bulb underwater when you squeeze.

http://www.robbinssports.com/sporting-goods-store/images/schutt-sports-air-football-helmet-inflator-pump.jpg

Now we're talkin'!

Good thinkin' Eastie, Wow, and it's even a Monday!

east tx skier
05-21-2007, 11:18 AM
I've still got one of those from my old Bike football helmet. It's always the air pump I can find that will have a needle in it.

André
05-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Got my portable from Ed as well. Excellent to deal with.
Did you just got it?
How much did you paid for the pvc pipes?
I end up paying much more then expexted for them.
About 2 $ us per foot...i need more then 300':(