PDA

View Full Version : Help!!?? Removal of....

JohnnyB
05-20-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm trying to remove the driver side panel on my 04 PS197.....i.e. the panel that the stereo control and throttle are mounted through. It looks like there are two screws at the bottom of the panel by the floor. I assume there is a screw at the bottom of the throttle handle to disconnect that. The three machine screws at the top edge look like a PITA to remove as they are through the fiberglass and have nuts/washers on the other side.

How do I get those out?

I don't think my arm could reach the middle one.

there doesn't appear to be an access point from behind the trim panel that is in front of the throttle controller either.

What's the secret of getting this beast off???

JohnnyB
05-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Gonna give this a bump.....here's the panel I need to get behind and here are the screws I don't know how to get out.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Would taking the driver seat out give you enough room to reach up from the bottom? I'm thinking that might make the reaching to the back side of the panel a bit easier even though getting the seat out adds another step to your project.

tex
05-20-2007, 08:50 PM
There's nuts on the backside. It's not easy.

RexDog1
05-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Long arms,,,,, 2 beers and,,,,, some patience :rolleyes:

JohnnyB
05-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Would taking the driver seat out give you enough room to reach up from the bottom? I'm thinking that might make the reaching to the back side of the panel a bit easier even though getting the seat out adds another step to your project.

I was just out in the garage for another reason and stopped to ponder that very thing. There is a possibility that if I take the seat out and the screws out of the bottom of the panel, I might be able to get the access to reach the top bolts from behind.......

In the current configuration, my arms are not long enough to reach the middle bolt.

RexDog1
05-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Try two people, one with the wrench and long sleeve shirt for the back of the bolt
and the other person on the outside :confused:

88 PS190
05-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Try two people, one with the wrench and long sleeve shirt for the back of the bolt

the long sleeves are key, fiberglass is terrible.

you could try an electric screwdriver to zip them out... might work might not, if they used lock nuts it wont'.

Sodar
05-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Just removed mine to vacuum behind the panel. It is easier to pull the driver's seat out (slide the seat all the way back, remove the front two screws, slide the set forward, remove the rear 2 screws). To remove the throttle panel, use a T27 (Torx) screw bit. Mine were not through bolted, just drilled and screwed into the fiberglass. Just be sure not to forget the phillips head at the bottom of the kick panel. Good Luck... Let me know if you have problems... I am sure I can dig up some pictures if you need them!

WTRSK1R
05-21-2007, 12:04 AM
I have had mine off on my 04 197 and there were definately nuts on the back. It took alot of patience, and my arm was really scratched up by the time I got it off. The key is to use the wrench that you are going to hold the nut with as an extension of your arm. Kinda flying blind but it was the only way I could make it work.

Good Luck.

mcallisterjayme
08-14-2007, 05:39 PM
JohnnyB,

Did you ever figure out the best way to remove those top three screws to remove your throttle panel? I'm about to undertake the same exercise on my '02 X9 to replace the factory clarion stereo remote with a newer one that mates up with the new Clarion CMD5 headend.

Jkelly
08-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Be very careful I broke my panel tiring to get mind out. I removed the screws on the bottom first then tried to remove the middle screw before the other two top. That is when I got in to big of a hurry, because I got aggravated putting to much pressure on the top forward mount and broke it. Now I will have to replace the panel.

JohnnyB
08-14-2007, 06:51 PM
I wound up reaching behind it instead of pulling it out. I practically had to stand on my head to reach my tower mount and glass in the backing plate.

I also put a remote for my clarion in and reached up to it behind the panel while laying in the driver footwell area....PITA!!!

Scratched the crap out of my arm both times......also, do not drop any hardware :mad:

LOL

Diesel
08-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Take the driver's seat out. It takes all of 5 min and will make it much easer. Stubby philips is all you need.

I use a drill with the proper hex bit and a box wrench. Start at the rear and work your way forward. The one at the front can be accessed from under the console.

I reach up with the box wrench and get it planted firmly on the nut. Then you can grab the drill and zip it out. In most cases the wrench will stay on the nut and wedge against the gunnel. If you do it right you don't have to hold on to the wrench on the backside.

Oh and do not overtighten them when you put it back together. The plastic will pull right through. You will get the hang of it. I can have mine of in about 10min now.

Diesel
08-14-2007, 06:56 PM
JohnnyB,

Did you ever figure out the best way to remove those top three screws to remove your throttle panel? I'm about to undertake the same exercise on my '02 X9 to replace the factory clarion stereo remote with a newer one that mates up with the new Clarion CMD5 headend.

On the X9 there is a blind stud and nut at the rear of the panel which you have to remove first. Once removed you will be able to pull the panel away from the hull enough to get your arm in to reach the rearmost upper through bolt/nut. Once the first upper is out you can pull the panel out even more which will give you easier access to the middle through bolt/nut. Once that is out you can reach the very front upper through bolt/nut from under the console (laying on your back reaching up). There is also one philips head screw right at the bottom by the seat base.

Any specific questions let me know.

kylegansel
02-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Gonna give this a bump.....here's the panel I need to get behind and here are the screws I don't know how to get out.

The panel that is cracked on mine is where that sticker is in your picture. So you're saying I need to remove the panel above that?

Sodar
02-03-2009, 01:15 PM
The panel that is cracked on mine is where that sticker is in your picture. So you're saying I need to remove the panel above that?

Yes... take the whole panel out to access the throttle panel.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Just removed mine to vacuum behind the panel. It is easier to pull the driver's seat out (slide the seat all the way back, remove the front two screws, slide the set forward, remove the rear 2 screws). To remove the throttle panel, use a T27 (Torx) screw bit. Mine were not through bolted, just drilled and screwed into the fiberglass. Just be sure not to forget the phillips head at the bottom of the kick panel. Good Luck... Let me know if you have problems... I am sure I can dig up some pictures if you need them!

Wow, and I thought I was anal?!?

Sodar
02-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Wow, and I thought I was anal?!?

That does not even begin to explain my OCD. :o

When that post was written, my boat was a brand new boat that had just been shipped from Chicago to Southern California, the shrink wrap ripped off in a tornado and the boat was pretty much destroyed.... it was so dirty. It legitimately took me 2 weeks of cleaning every nook and cranny to get the thing back to showroom condition.

peason
05-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Okay, I am installing a new wired remote and have to drill a larger hole in my drivers side panel. I have managed to get the panel unscrewed and loose. What is the best way to disconnect the throttle control so I can free it from the panel? I have already removed the throttle arm - the one that you use when you are driving the boat.
Help please?

JohnnyB
06-07-2009, 07:13 PM
I was able to move mine around enough for the install without taking the throttle off.

peason
06-07-2009, 07:22 PM
thanks, JohnnyB, I did the same. I even asked my MC dealer and he reccomended not rmoving the throttle. It was a pain, but worth the effort- the new wired remote looks great, and while I was at I re-glued the carpet that had been falling down.