PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing costs

kah68
05-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I know its difficult to tell without seeing the boat but what kind of ball park should buffing, waxing, and fixing gelcoat ( one big hole about the size of a small apple and about 8-10 quater size holes) run cost wise?

PE4ME
05-21-2007, 03:03 AM
I think people are leaving this one alone...too many variables. Are you doing it? Bringing to a "little guy" or the dealer? I did my own with materials running about $100 for gel/marine mud etc. Lots of time, some redos with inexperience...turned out great. Could spend 500-1000 bucks + depending on the amount of damage. Fiberglass need repair? Not much help, but a bump nontheless.

kah68
05-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Yeah gel was down to mat in quite a few palces. The gel was oxidized pretty bad too. I know hard to tell but your ball park helps me out, thanks.

Kirk

pilot02
05-21-2007, 11:15 AM
The size of the area will determine the costs. I've got about $275 into materials to completely regel the lower half of my boat (89 tristar 190 that I've changed the interior on and am now changing the exterior to match and repair some damaged areas. Approx $150 of the cost is in gelcoat and duratec while the remainder is in pigments, tape, sandpaper, paper and other items. I've sprayed more than my share of automotive jobs and have learned in "hindsight" that gelcoat is inherrently much, MUCH, more work. It's nowhere near as easy to work with or fix if something goes wrong....
We'll see how my project turns out when done but I'll post some of the current shots I have.

pilot02
05-21-2007, 11:17 AM
I sprayed the teal last night. The previous pic was before spraying. Here's current!

Keep in mind that I'm totally changing the color scheme from original. All lettering has been redone in red to match the new bimini and interior etc.