PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't stay running

wlatour
05-20-2007, 07:55 AM
I have a Volvo 2.3L 4cyl 1988 Sunrunner 20' I changed the plugs,plug wires, cap/rotor, points, new fuel lines, new fuel pump, fuel filter and had the 2-carbs rebuilt. I can't get it to stay idle or run hardly at all. What make me sick is this was running and idleing before I change all these parts. What was the saying if it is not broke don't touch it. The only thing is I can not get any correct answer from anyone on what the points are set to. I put them at .018? Yes I put new gas with octane booster in it. Any help please. I and putting money in this and not able to use it.

wlatour
05-20-2007, 08:00 AM
Engine won't stay running

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Volvo 2.3L 4cyl 1988 Sunrunner 20' I changed the plugs,plug wires, cap/rotor, points, new fuel lines, new fuel pump, fuel filter and had the 2-carbs rebuilt. I can't get it to stay idle or run hardly at all. What make me sick is this was running and idleing before I change all these parts. What was the saying if it is not broke don't touch it. The only thing is I can not get any correct answer from anyone on what the points are set to. I put them at .018? Yes I put new gas with octane booster in it. Any help please. I and putting money in this and not able to use it.

André
05-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the MASTERCRAFT site!
Can't help you but a quick cure would be to buy a Mastercraft...
Good luck!

TMCNo1
05-20-2007, 08:31 AM
This is where you may have wanted to post your question, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12 but very few owners here, if any, have a boat like yours, but good luck anyway with your problem.

wlatour
05-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Sorry I posted this to the right area

JimN
05-20-2007, 08:42 AM
www.marineengine.com is a site for all kinds of boats and some of the people there are very familiar with Volvo motors.

.018" sounds like not enough gap. The dwell needs to be checked/set, too and it requires a meter but it's not expensive (about $35 at Sears), assuming you want to do this again in the future.

If it's backfiring at all, make sure the firing order is correct- hey, it happens. It also may need you to help it along until the fuel lines have fuel in them again- replacing them is like the ultimate case of vapor lock and unless you have an in-tank fuel pump (you don't), the pump has to pull the fuel forward, from the tank in order to get it to the motor. Also, the float bowls may have been dry when the carbs were re-installed and there's no way it'll run that way.

wlatour
05-20-2007, 01:05 PM
well I can get it running with no backfire of skips but it will only run if I keep give it the gas once I put it in neutral it stalls. Takes forever to start. I half to give it about 3/4 throttle on the gas? I did check the wires and they are in the correct order? I did not change the coil pack or is there a module that I am not aware of? Thanks Warren

JimN
05-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Are you sure there's gas in the lines? A leaky fuel pump diaphragm would cause the same thing but it would have been occurring before. Why did you change the fuel lines? Get a plastic mustard bottle, remove the fuel line at the rear, squirt some gas into it until the line has been filled, re-install it and see if it wants to run. If you have a fuel/water separator, that should have been filled when it was changed.

wlatour
05-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Hey JimN, I took off the fuel pump and had it tested. It was Brand New? Works perfectly. The fuel line was all cracked and I assumed it was sucking air so that is why I changed it. I did most of these things a few days ago. I do need to take apart the tops of the carbs and fill the bowls. They were not filled when I put them back on the motor. The bowls were empty. I am not sure about the carbs for adjustments? The guy that rebuilt them adjusted them back were they were before the rebuilds. The rebuild kits were to correct the injector pumps and they were gummy (the Carbs too). Tomorrow I will look at filling the bowls and go from there. But what should I set the points at? Thanks For Helping Warren

JimN
05-20-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't know what the correct setting is but if you go to the www.marineengine.com site, they have forums for all kinds of motors and people who know Volvo Penta drives inside and out. The bowls definitely need to be filled. To be honest, I never worked on a lot of that particular motor, only a few and mostly for oil changes and winterization/summerization. It's not a very common motor here in Milwaukee.

Leroy
05-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Warren;

I'll second Jims recommendation. Everyone would love to help you here, but if you get on the right site with all of the Volvo engine people you will probable get a more direct answer.

Now if you want to talk about trading for some Mastercraft boat, fire away.