PDA

View Full Version : LTR330 Engine -- Opinions?

Olive
05-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I have an opportunity with another board member to acquire a boat with the LTR330 engine -- looking for input. I did notice that this powertrain is no longer offered in the MC portfollio -- why?

Any maintenance issues? Does it require >89 octane?

Warranty or dependability concerns?

Wakeboarding will be the key occupation -- will this work?

Thanks again for all the support -- great forum!

Regards, Olive

Leroy
05-19-2007, 10:54 PM
I can answer a few of your questions.
Reliability has been very good other than the alternator bracket and breaking bolts.

You can run 87 and the electronics will adjust for it. There is some debate on how much HP you lose then. I normally use 87 and do not see a problem after 7 years.

MOre than adequate for wakeboarding.

I'm not sure why they discontinued it.

pflcjl
05-19-2007, 11:22 PM
I had the LTR 330hp in a 2000 PS 190 which I recently sold for an upgrade to a 2006 197 w/MCX. I put on 750 troublefree hours on my LTR no issues at all other than the altenator bracket and bolt which was fixed through a recall notice.

ncskier
05-20-2007, 08:19 AM
There is also a service bulletin for the LTR oil pump drive gear to either inspect it every 50 hrs for wear or get the new one installed. Easy to to/have done. It goes in where a distributer would normally be (this engine doesnt have one)

Other than this and the alt bracket mentioned ours has been running strong for 8 years.

Will 330HP pull a wakeboarder! LOL how big are your friends? :)

Leroy
05-20-2007, 10:01 AM
I remember that recall notice for the oil pump gear drive.

'02xrider
05-20-2007, 01:15 PM
I've got the ltr with 500 hours andrun about 2000 lbs ballast. No problems. I did re prop and gained a much better hole shot.

rick s.
05-21-2007, 12:00 AM
my 1999 Maristar 210 with the ltr was a great boat. very reliable and never let me down.

Vegas X-Star
05-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Olive - Had one in my 2002 X-10 that I owned for 3 years. No complaints or engine issues of any kind with mine. Smooth running with tons of power. Felt like more power than my 385HP LQ9!

Ric
05-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Good motor, had one in a 2000 ps 190 like someone else who posted here. The only possible complaint I have about the LTR330 is that mine had just a tick of hesitation at holeshot that nobody could ever iron out. It didn't effect performance at all and was arguably not an issue. It was just something that people who drove the boat alot would notice. others, would not. Good solid motor. regular unleaded was fine and a certified mechanic told me that high octane was not necessary in that motor and further he'd only suggest a few gallons of super unlead every now and then for it's cleaning properties.

413rider
05-21-2007, 06:59 PM
I got that motor in my 02 x30 with 540 hours and no problems other than the two recalls mentioned above.

ecelis
05-21-2007, 07:11 PM
800 hrs+ hours before trading it in. Always ran 89 in it and had the required oil/maintenance done on time. Zero problems with the engine.

MYMC
05-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Take it for what it is worth but when the LTR was replaced by the MCX Indmar's CSI rating went up by 20 points and they have been rated #1 ever since.

MIMC
05-22-2007, 02:20 PM
I have a 2000 PS195 w/ LTR, 290 trouble free hours! Like everyone else the only issue was the alternator bracket & inspection for the oil pump gear! I run 89+, ran 87 last year with the high gas prices and started to experience the slight hesitation that Ric mentioned. Went back to 89+ and all is good once again! Plenty of power, but who doesn't want more?

swatguy
05-28-2007, 11:14 PM
anybody got any further input on that oil pump thing. Is it something that one can do by themselves to replace? I just picked up a new ride 00 X-star and it has the LTR 1 and want to be informed as much as possible. Put about 15 hrs on it so far and noticed at idle my oil pressure spikes every now and then. Just curious. goes from like 20-30 and back down. I know the alternator was taken care of. Just want to get as much info on that oil thing as possible as I try to be anal about my stuff. For me I feel if you take care of it now and spend a little money up front it will save you a ton of $$ in the long run.

MYMC
05-29-2007, 12:09 PM
anybody got any further input on that oil pump thing. Is it something that one can do by themselves to replace? I just picked up a new ride 00 X-star and it has the LTR 1 and want to be informed as much as possible. Put about 15 hrs on it so far and noticed at idle my oil pressure spikes every now and then. Just curious. goes from like 20-30 and back down. I know the alternator was taken care of. Just want to get as much info on that oil thing as possible as I try to be anal about my stuff. For me I feel if you take care of it now and spend a little money up front it will save you a ton of $$ in the long run.
http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=12&forum=10&category=2

One of the many threads on this topic...see it pays to be a member, even though it is free!;)

beatle78
05-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Here is a list of recalls on the LTR I was able to gather from a posy MYMC did awhile back.

1) Alt recall for the bracket and hardware in addition to alignment, pulley and belt. (2 seperate recalls)
2) Oil pump drive gear must be inspected at each oil change until it wears sufficiently enough to warrant replacement (per Indmar). This is the big one!
3) Trans vent (all V-Drives)
4) Big item to watch on ALL V-Drives until 2004 model year is a leaking output shaft seal.

MYMC, I bought my boat last fall from out of state. How can I find out what recalls were performed on my boat? The big one being the oil pump drive gear.

thanks, beatle78

MYMC
05-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Have the local dealer pull it up on line...he just needs you hull ID #.

Here is a list of recalls on the LTR I was able to gather from a posy MYMC did awhile back.

1) Alt recall for the bracket and hardware in addition to alignment, pulley and belt. (2 seperate recalls)
2) Oil pump drive gear must be inspected at each oil change until it wears sufficiently enough to warrant replacement (per Indmar). This is the big one!
3) Trans vent (all V-Drives)
4) Big item to watch on ALL V-Drives until 2004 model year is a leaking output shaft seal.

MYMC, I bought my boat last fall from out of state. How can I find out what recalls were performed on my boat? The big one being the oil pump drive gear.

thanks, beatle78

swatguy
05-29-2007, 09:32 PM
MYMC

Thanks 4 the site info...Lots of good stuff. Would have never known it existed. Tons of great stuff there. Thanks.

beatle78
05-30-2007, 12:41 PM
ok thanks!!

cspieser
05-31-2007, 07:37 PM
I paid more money to get a nice 205 with the LTR and it was the best move I could have made. I work with many GM Vortec engineers and they all praise the engine for its reliability and efficient design. The engine has never missed a step and continues to run strong. No reason to want anything else.

skitilldark
05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
I have an LTR and other than the fuel rail making noises similar to a jet engine it has been a perfect motor so far. I did have an oil problem a couple of years ago(gaining oil volume). It turned out to be a faulty injector nozzle leaking into one cylinder on power down. Took a while to figure it out, but it has been trouble free ever since.

swatguy
05-31-2007, 10:04 PM
SKITILDARK
I hear ya on that jet noise. Freaked myself and my wife out the first couple times.....Buddies Nauti has the same thing going. Never knew what it was. Is that that high pitched like whistle/hum?