PDA

View Full Version : Need tune up specs

suedv
05-19-2007, 09:27 AM
My brother-in-law is having engine problems with his boat. I told him that folks on TT know everything there is to know :) So come on guys...make me be his hero.

I am looking for tune up specs for a 351 Ford in a 1989 TriStar. I need to know:
- firing order
- dwell setting
- plug gap
- ignition timing

Thanks in advance for your help.

TMCNo1
05-19-2007, 09:52 AM
My brother-in-law is having engine problems with his boat. I told him that folks on TT know everything there is to know :) So come on guys...make me be his hero.

I am looking for tune up specs for a 351 Ford in a 1989 TriStar. I need to know:
- firing order----------1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
- dwell setting--------30 degrees
- plug gap------------.035
- ignition timing------6 degrees @ 600rpm
- Idle-----------------600 rpm in gear

Thanks in advance for your help.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is from my 1989 Mastercraft Power owners manual in Red. Hope it helps.

kah68
05-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Great post, I will be needing these numbers soon. Nice to see another Tri owner around. One question, what is a 'dwell setting' ?

93ProStar205
05-19-2007, 10:07 AM
FYI - here's the owner's manual if you don't have one already. The specs you are looking for (along with a lot of other things) are on page 40.

http://www.mastercraft.com/manuals/1989_1990_OwnersManual-TriStar.pdf

TMCNo1
05-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Great post, I will be needing these numbers soon. Nice to see another Tri owner around. One question, what is a 'dwell setting' ?

It's in Post #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suedv
05-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys!

JimN
05-19-2007, 11:01 AM
kah68- I don't know if you have any background in points ignitions but a coil is two sets of windings- a primary and secondary and will only conduct AC or pulses of DC. The primary is energized and because a magnetic field is created when current flows, any changes in the primary affect the secondary and the extent is determined by the ratio of primary windings to secondary windings. When the points close (or open- depending on the system), the magnetic field collapses, and the large voltage change causes a big voltage surge in the secondary coil, which is transmitted to the plug, via the coil wire, rotor and plug wire. The longer this field is allowed to build, the stronger it will be, to a point, and if the points are set too closed or open, the spark won't be sufficiently intense to burn the fuel completely.

Dwell is how many degrees the distributor shaft rotates while the coil's magnetic field builds up to the point where it will be strong enough to cause a strong spark when the points close.

kah68
05-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks Jim, I just ordered a DUI electronic ignition, looks like a great upgrade from the original parts.http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm

Wouter
05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
does anyone know the story is with timing:
10 degrees for black distributor cap
6 degress for tan distributor cap

TMCNo1
05-21-2007, 08:14 PM
does anyone know the story is with timing:
10 degrees for black distributor cap
6 degress for tan distributor cap

I have a tan cap w/EI conversion and run the same 10 degrees as I did with the black cap w/points. My 351W cranks like a Chevy! Where are you getting this info from?