PDA

View Full Version : Custom Cover from SkiBoatCovers.com - What Material is Best?

BuoyChaser
05-18-2007, 09:15 PM
does anyone have a newer cover from http://SkiBoatCovers.com because I'm not happy still with the protection of my trailering cover for my 2005 197...i'd really like the added protection when it is on the boat lift to have the sides protected and swim platform covered for those "early morning" and "late evening" potential sun damage when it is on the boat lift...

i'm liking the concept of the Waterline cover, along with a cover for the swim platform, check them out http://www.skiboatcovers.com/boatstyle.php?manufacturer=mastercraft

MasterCraft 197 Prostar '02-'06 MC1264 $320/$370/$495
MasterCraft 197 Prostar BR Waterline '02-'06 MC1264X $420/$470/$630

what's the latest scoop on the different materials and how they hold up, so i'm not having to spray 303 on it every year...since the boat never sits in the weather, most concerned with UV protection!!!

Materials Available:
* SUNBRELLA
o 100% Acrylic
o 60 color choices
o 9 ounces per square yard
o 5 year guarantee
o Prices from $300
* ARMY DUCK
o 100% Cotton
o Mineral dye for rot, mildew & water repellent
o Light green in color
o 1 year guarantee
o Prices from $225
* POLY DUCK
o 60%/40% Polyester/Cotton Blend
o Mineral dye for rot, mildew & water repellent
o Gray in color
o 1 year guarantee
o Prices from $200

BuoyChaser
05-18-2007, 09:19 PM
something like this without the tower

Chicago190
05-19-2007, 07:11 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16330

BrianM
05-19-2007, 09:10 PM
With out a doubt go with the Sunbrella. My waterline Sunbrella cover from www.skiboatcovers.com (http://www.skiboatcovers.com) was the best cover I have seen. It fit like a drum head, provided great protection, didn't let a drop of water in the boat but still breathed. At the time my boat lived outside in the driveway. Spend the few extra bucks for the Sunbrella it's worth every bit of the $630. You won't be sorry.

milkmania
05-22-2007, 09:15 AM
With out a doubt go with the Sunbrella. My waterline Sunbrella cover from www.skiboatcovers.com (http://www.skiboatcovers.com) was the best cover I have seen. It fit like a drum head, provided great protection, didn't let a drop of water in the boat but still breathed. At the time my boat lived outside in the driveway. Spend the few extra bucks for the Sunbrella it's worth every bit of the $630. You won't be sorry.

man, that's TIGHT!!!!!http://bhammonster.com/rimshot.gif

BuoyChaser
05-22-2007, 09:20 AM
looks awesome, but how are they connecting it on the boatlift???

Tim205
05-22-2007, 09:49 AM
I just receieved a new sunbrella/waterline cover from skiboatcovers.com for my 205V. I have had much canvas work done for other boats in the past, and this is by far THE BEST cover I have ever had. I am kind of a cover-aholic. I have the cockit/bow snap factory covers, the MC trailering cover, and the waterline cover from skiboatcovers.com. I am still going to use the MC trailering cover, for well, trailering. The skiboatcovers.com cover does not look like it would work for trailering (great fit, but it would do gelcoat damage). The detail on the skiboatcovers.com cover is great. Reinforcements in all the right places. Felt backing over the windshield. Contrast stitching color. Heavy duty tabs. The only thing I had to buy were some tie-down straps from Overtons to secure to the trailer for storage. I agree, it is very nice to have the sides and platform completely covered (and fits like a glove!). Additionally, they will position the cord anywhere on the cover you like (i.e. if the starboard side of your boat has is adjacent to the dock on the lift, then they can make the cord access there). Very fast shipping, I am totally satisfied.

Sodar
05-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Another vote for Sunbrella. I was also told to go with the Gore-Tex thread (a $40 upgrade), if the boat is left outside in the sun. My local canvas guy said that if you go with just typical thread, that the Sunbrella will outlive the stitching.

Doug G
05-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Do these guys make a cover for a boat in the water that would be better then the MC but not as deep as the waterline?

BuoyChaser
05-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Another vote for Sunbrella. I was also told to go with the Gore-Tex thread (a $40 upgrade), if the boat is left outside in the sun. My local canvas guy said that if you go with just typical thread, that the Sunbrella will outlive the stitching.
nice looking cover, good call on teh Gore-Tex thread, my old 1985 that cover was over 15years old from www.skiboatcovers.com and still was waterproof, just some of stiches were coming out...was made back in 1989 by the previous owner...

jkski
05-22-2007, 03:18 PM
If you have a canopy on your lift, I'd suggest contacting your local MC dealership and asking for the shrinkwrap used during shippin the boats from TN. The wrap is a perfect fit for the boat, wraps to the waterline, and has a drawstring. You can always get one for say a 214 or 215 that will be a bit bigger if need be, and I think most dealerships would sell them for a nominal fee (far less than a true cover.)
With that said, if you do not have a canopy, then this will not work, as you will not get it tight enough to prevent puddling from rain.

Sodar
05-22-2007, 03:38 PM
If you have a canopy on your lift, I'd suggest contacting your local MC dealership and asking for the shrinkwrap used during shippin the boats from TN. The wrap is a perfect fit for the boat, wraps to the waterline, and has a drawstring. You can always get one for say a 214 or 215 that will be a bit bigger if need be, and I think most dealerships would sell them for a nominal fee (far less than a true cover.)
With that said, if you do not have a canopy, then this will not work, as you will not get it tight enough to prevent puddling from rain.

Good idea, but make sure the boat is dry, because those TransSheild shipping covers do NOT breathe at all!!

jkski
05-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Actually the one I have has vents in it. The inside is a nice soft material, and the outside is a fairly thick plastic. Keep in mind, my boat is under a canopy, so the only purpose this serves is to keep it covered and clean, as it is easier than the actual tarp to put on and it covers my tower.

Sodar
05-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Actually the one I have has vents in it. The inside is a nice soft material, and the outside is a fairly thick plastic. Keep in mind, my boat is under a canopy, so the only purpose this serves is to keep it covered and clean, as it is easier than the actual tarp to put on and it covers my tower.

Yeah, mine does too, but it still does not breathe as well as canvas, just be careful and watch for mildew and mold