PDA

View Full Version : Building a Ski Shack near the dock...

kah68
05-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Its a 10x12 shed, with power and lighting, going to store skis ropes ect, tools, beer fridge and some boat stuff, what essentials would you put in or on it to make it complete?

Kirk

Danimal
05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
You already have the beer fridge listed. I think you have it all!!

captain planet
05-18-2007, 11:12 AM
One big and strong locking system and keep your door hinges hidden.

Other than that, a battery charger, composite flooring so dripping life vests and wetsuits don't rot the floor, and a closed compartment to store your gas cans.

betsy&david Harrison
05-18-2007, 11:13 AM
If it is enclosed make sure you put AC in for the hot days.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Overhead door with opener and side access door.
You can not have too many lights!!!
Roof ventilation fan to exhaust all the fumes and allow fresh air to enter. Lots of ventilation.

Fuel storage cabinet to have air circulation directly vented OUTSIDE of the shed.

Tap
05-18-2007, 11:19 AM
See above ^^^Roofline vent, or way to let hot humid air out the top. This will aid in drying a whole lot better. Otherwise you just promote mold groth.

Also added closet rack for hanging wet suits and life vests.

duckguy
05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Ceiling Fan, Stripper pole

M-Funf
05-18-2007, 11:49 AM
First aid supplies...

JKTX21
05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Be sure to plan how the storage will be setup so you can optimize the total volume of the building. Drives me nuts when I see a garage or shop with EVERYTHING on the floor and nothing on the walls or ceiling.

Good luck!

Maristar210
05-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Ceiling Fan, Stripper pole

I 2nd the stripper pole. Nice touch :D

captain planet
First aid supplies...
Nice addition!

REMEMBER! SAFETY has no quitting time!!;)

east tx skier
Second the suggestion for a beefy locking system.

kah68
05-18-2007, 12:04 PM
OK Good locking system
Proper venting
First Aid
Batt charger
I like the stripper pole but don't really want to have to explain that one to the kids.

Thanks and keep it coming, I'm having a lot of fun with this shed.

Kirk

Maristar210
05-18-2007, 12:10 PM
OK Good locking system
Proper venting
First Aid
Batt charger
I like the stripper pole but don't really want to have to explain that one to the kids.

Kirk

Remember if you are running electric to it a good GFI circuit would be a must for me.

kah68
05-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Yes my friend ( electrician ) is wiring it, all GFI! Good point.

jraben8
05-18-2007, 12:16 PM
OK Good locking system
Proper venting
First Aid
Batt charger

Kirk

The pole is simply a support for the roof or awning. No reason to do without it...

duckguy
05-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Or a fun fire pole for the tots by day, Sexy time by night

Jorski
05-18-2007, 12:37 PM
If you are going to put a fridge inside, why not a side opening bar and stools.... :D

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Second the suggestion for a beefy locking system.
What kind of areas do you guys boat at???:confused:
Remember, if someone knows what's inside, and they want it bad enough, there are no locking mechanisms to keep "them" from getting it. :mad:

With that in mind, I recommend NO windows......;)

lassy
05-18-2007, 01:15 PM
a small TV and DVD player is fun for keeping your fav. videos playing while you're out there.

93ProStar205
05-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Retractable shop extension cord (can mount wall or ceiling) - got mine at Lowe's and it's great. No tangles, and since it is bolted to the ceiling and can't wander off, I always have a cord in the garage for tools, charger and so on. Get a top-mount beer fridge. The freezer is great for extra Costco storage, treats for the kids and so on. Also, dedicated 20 amp circuit at least.

kah68
05-18-2007, 01:35 PM
The only electronics allowed outside are audible ones. I have a strict policy on that one due to the X-Box/ Playstationized T.V. land kids of today. When we were kids there was 3 t.v. channels and a couple of radio stations at the cottage and they all sucked. 'Gaming' was Monopoly or cards ect. Guess what, we spent a ton of time swimming, boating, skiing,fishing and sometimes doing things we weren't supposed to. My point here is kids (old and young) need to get back to the real recreation that we used to do as cottagers. I will not allow PSP or t.v. during daylight hours unless weather or health get in the way of a kid having a great time in the outdoors.

east tx skier
05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
What kind of areas do you guys boat at???:confused:
Remember, if someone knows what's inside, and they want it bad enough, there are no locking mechanisms to keep "them" from getting it. :mad:

With that in mind, I recommend NO windows......;)

Just had my car burgled in an open garage in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Houston. Sure, nothing is completely secure, but I'm for making it difficult for the dirtbags to get at.

chevy08bud
What type of roof are you putting on it? I just built a shed last year and everyone suggested putting a barn type ( dual pitched ) roof so that I could have a loft with plenty of usable storage up there. Glad I did, it works great. You could also incorporate your "fire pole" this way.

kah68
Sorry to myself and the other contirbutors of this post for my rant and hijack.

kah68
05-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I am a roof truss manufacturer. I built a one peice shed frame with the trusses built in. I will post some pics when complete. There is some storage overhead as well but not a complete open attic area.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 01:44 PM
I give you credit kah68....I liked the rant....you touched on some very good topics there. WAY too much TV being watched.

Rockman
05-18-2007, 01:55 PM
One thing that I wish we would have done when we built our boat house was to have our windows stetegically placed when you would be able to get air circulated through...better than we have it right now.

We have 2 small windows and 2 roof vents but we need more air circulation. So what we do for now is just open the two front door/gates but have to close them at night.

We have a stereo with speakers wired to the outside of the boat house facing the lake. This works out well.

Also, if you have a long way to go to get back to the main house, install a phone jack for a wall mount phone of cordless. We have our set up so when we leave the cottage, we can disconnect/unplug the line from inside the main house.

kah68
05-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks 'Working 4 toys'. There is a very wealthy region of cottage country about an hour west of us and the thing to do is drop the kids off at the 2-10 million dollar 'cottage' and let the staff wait on them while mom and pop head to the country club and visit with their city friends over a cocktail. I know of some places where the boats do not get uncovered all season. I think cottaging is losing its battle to the trendyness of having 'a place up north'. Is there any wonder why more and more people are fat !?

kah68
05-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah 'Rock man' I have a nice boom box but will probably hard wire speakers and head unit of some sort. It's not on the water but about 30' from the beach, perfect for storage, beers and just sitting around shootin the poop with friends and fam.

BuoyChaser
05-18-2007, 03:59 PM
you can post the words, but pictures are worth a thousand of them darn garbled goo text...

Evan Jones
05-18-2007, 04:11 PM
OK....I know all you guys are thinking it and just too ashamed to say it....a small air compressor to blow up rafts or tubes. Phew...there... I said it.

kah68
05-18-2007, 04:52 PM
OK....I know all you guys are thinking it and just too ashamed to say it....a small air compressor to blow up rafts or tubes. Phew...there... I said it.

My Mom's old Compaq vacum! Put the hose is the blower end and it works Magic, the old vac is older than I am and does a good job on the interior too. Shop Vac does the same thing!

Mark B
05-18-2007, 05:04 PM
If you're going to put a shed by the water, go ahead and get a can of wasp and hornet spray!

ProTour X9
05-18-2007, 05:10 PM
you can post the words, but pictures are worth a thousand of them darn garbled goo text...

I'll help you out!

milkmania
05-18-2007, 06:19 PM
What type of roof are you putting on it? I just built a shed last year and everyone suggested putting a barn type ( dual pitched ) roof so that I could have a loft with plenty of usable storage up there. Glad I did, it works great. You could also incorporate your "fire pole" this way.

agreed, my two 12 x 20 storage buildings with Gambrel roofs have a center height over twelve feet.... lofting 1/2 of them was simple:twocents:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Its a 10x12 shed, with power and lighting, going to store skis ropes ect, tools, beer fridge and some boat stuff, what essentials would you put in or on it to make it complete?

KirkWHen you say "complete" for some reason all I can hear in my head is Darth Vader's voice saying something like "This ski shed is fully operational, and tomarrow the drying of your life jackets will be complete!":cool: :uglyhamme

Ryan27r
05-18-2007, 06:51 PM
A/C and Composite flooring are nessesary imo the nthe stripper pole depend on your personal taste I say go for it.

phecksel
05-19-2007, 05:00 PM
ok, here's some pics...nice little 8x8 shed with a roof on top for the picnic table

http://www.hecksel.com/images/tmc%20owners/DSC_11358.jpg

http://www.hecksel.com/images/tmc%20owners/DSC_11359.jpg

http://www.hecksel.com/images/tmc%20owners/DSC_11363.jpg

http://www.hecksel.com/images/tmc%20owners/DSC_11362.jpg

JohnnyB
05-19-2007, 05:27 PM
A ceiling fan would be helpful to dissapate moisture and help dry things out.

If you wanted to control the environment better, insulation, a moisture barrier and a dehumidifier. You might keep the ceiling fan anyway.

I've been in quite a few lakeside sheds that had sky lights in them....very helpful when you just want to go in quick to get something.

I would agree with others that you can never have enough lights!!

ski_king
05-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Here is my current one that I hope to replace soon.
All I keep in it are gas cans, old slaloms, combo skis, knee boards and some tools. The tubes don't get a place inside, I keep hoping Toober Tom will come along and steal them.
Oh yea, the door on the right is to the "out house" comes in handy at times.

ski_king
05-19-2007, 07:10 PM
double post.......
Nice one phecksel! Do you have a picture of it showing the deck and picnic table on top?

phecksel
05-19-2007, 07:21 PM
double post.......
Nice one phecksel! Do you have a picture of it showing the deck and picnic table on top?

http://www.hecksel.com/images/tmc%20owners/DSC_10341.jpg

http://www.hecksel.com/images/tmc%20owners/DSC_10340.jpg

BuoyChaser
05-19-2007, 07:22 PM
ok, here's some pics...nice little 8x8 shed with a roof on top for the picnic table
great pics and great idea!!!do you have any plans you used that inspired your design...exactly what i'm looking to do, like the side angles for the boards...

phecksel
05-19-2007, 10:24 PM
great pics and great idea!!!do you have any plans you used that inspired your design...exactly what i'm looking to do, like the side angles for the boards...

LOL...Just started building. Took the 1x6 rough sawn board put them on an angle, separated by the thickness of one board to provide ventilation. Standard 16" center 2x4, roof was 2x6, tied back to the deck structure. Put marine grade plywood on top, through some used rubber roofing over the top, and put the 5/4 deck boards on top of that. Inside, on the left side, but up a wire frame coat rack, but the racks up on the opposite side, right side has shelf rack to store the ski's and ropes. Very compact, very sound, and extremely useful. If I had to do it all over again, I would have made it slightly larger, mostly for more room for a larger table! I'm stuck at that size.

bigmac
05-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Before building your second home down there by the water, be sure to check your zoning and building regs. In Minnesota (for example), it's illegal to build a permanent structure within the setback specified for that particular lake. On our lake, no building anything that needs concrete or plumbing within 75 feet of the OHW mark. The Sheriff's Water Patrol wouldn't care, but if the DNR spots a permanent structure - they'll report it and it will come down, after a nice, polite letter from the county attorney.

OTOH, every Home Depot, Menards or local lumbar yard in the world sells storage sheds by the carload. Home Depot alone has 159 products (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=storage+shed&onlineStore=true&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&marketID=401&locStoreNum=8125)in that category. Could'nt be easier -- pick your style, pick the size, pick your price range, call 'em up, they drive out and drop it/level it anywhere you say. Voila! - instant tube storage.

BeavenX5
05-22-2007, 12:56 PM
I have 2 old kitchen cabinet/pantries that I use to keep all the small stuff (1 for fishing stuff and one for ski gloves and misc. tools).

Build a nice big carpeted ski/board rack.

I also have some straps I use as hoist to keep the Kayak and windsurf boards at the ceiling.

Here is a picture of my shed taken 2 winters ago. The ceiling hoists have been improved since then.

Roonie's
05-22-2007, 01:30 PM
I would say a place to have cold beers some fold up chairs and maybe a firepit out front to sit around and talk about the day. Maybe a microwave for some popcorn or other snacks.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Before building your second home down there by the water, .
After reading through this list of must haves, I was wondering just how big this home is going to be too.....:cool: