PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Installation

RoscoB190
02-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Has anyone replaced the carpeting in there boat without taking the boat apart? For me to have my dealer redo the carpeting (the right way) would cost me $2000 and I'd rather not spend that much. I really only want to replace the carpetting that is visible to anyone getting into the boat. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Thanks!

ski_king
02-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Has anyone replaced the carpeting in there boat without taking the boat apart? For me to have my dealer redo the carpeting (the right way) would cost me $2000 and I'd rather not spend that much. I really only want to replace the carpetting that is visible to anyone getting into the boat. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Remove the seats, engine cover and side panels.
I replaced all the carpet with the exception of the carpet under the bow that was in good shape and you cant see anyway.

If your side panels cover the transition from the floor to the side walls you may want to cut the carpet there and save the side walls (gunnels?).
Cost me $200 for upolestry shop to do my boat I already gutted.
You can gut the boat in an hour or 2.

Tom Wortham
02-03-2005, 03:42 PM

I got an estimate from a boat upholstry shop to take out my old carpet and install new for $350. They are going to charge me $60 an hour to take off my old skins and put on the new MC skins I bought. I'm still shopping. :D I would agree with getting skins from MC to keep it org. but with carpet... get a high grade marine carpet.. get the color to match and you are good to go. What year boat? I am redoing my 86. Good Luck :smile:

RoscoB190
02-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys for your advice. Those prices are worlds better that the $2000 I was quoted to have the whole job done on my '94 Prostar 190. Where did you guys purchase your carpet and what did it cost? Thanks again. :)

ski_king
02-04-2005, 12:51 PM
I got mine thru the upholstery shop, $200 was carpet and install.

There are a number of other sources, one local carpet shop had the marine grade also. The there is Overtons (phttp://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/order/items2.cgi) and the other mail order houses.

east tx skier
02-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Lowes has olefin marine carpet. I use this on my trailer bunks. It's a bit softer than the 12 year old carpet in the boat. THe boat carpet has held up so well that I'm not replacing it until it's obvious that I need to do so.

Tom Wortham
02-08-2005, 12:34 PM
I got mine thru the upholstery shop, $200 was carpet and install.

There are a number of other sources, one local carpet shop had the marine grade also. The there is Overtons (phttp://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/order/items2.cgi) and the other mail order houses.

Did you run all the way up under the bow? Good price. I got a quote for $350 (Carpet and Install). Still shopping. :D

ski_king
02-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Did you run all the way up under the bow? Good price. I got a quote for $350 (Carpet and Install). Still shopping. :D
The carpet under the bow was like new. I kept the old where it is out of normal sight. I believe it was just beyond the foot rest.
Besides it would be real tough gluing the new to the sides under the bow. I think the fumes could kill you under there.

aprgriggs
02-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Can you put in snap out carpet in a boat that already has carpet?

Tom Wortham
02-08-2005, 04:44 PM
I would think you could. However, I'm not sure if would be any problem with moisture being captured. Anyone tried this? :confused:

east tx skier
02-08-2005, 05:51 PM
The snap in carpet I've seen on other brands goes over the base carpet if memory serves. I think I saw a picture on planetnautique.com of some like this. Water could surely become trapped in between the two carpets. But if you pull out the top layer between uses, they should dry.

brady1022
02-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Snap in carpet shouldnt be a huge issue, however you'd have to have the carpeting bound at a flooring store, or else it would rip and tear on the edges. The moisture issue shouldnt be a huge concern, the floor'll get wet either way. I suggest heading to a local west Marine or looking online for a marine carpet distibutor. you're likely to find something for around 160, for the carpet and 50 or so for the glue. that's the important part, make sure that the glue is waterproof and isnt just some guy from home depot saying it's waterproof. Call the manufacturer.

Cloaked
03-20-2005, 02:57 PM
I have the carpet stripped out of the boat. There is a lot of glue residue on the floor. How have you fine carpet-replacing type folks handled this? Scrape it out? Sand it down? Leave it in place? Or all of the above? I have sanded some of it but that seems like a lot of useless work seeing that not all of it comes up. I have scraped a portion of it but that seems like a lot of work (period). Leaving it in place doesn't seem to be a reasonable option.

AnNy suggestions or offers of advice from experience?

ski_king
03-20-2005, 03:10 PM
I have the carpet stripped out of the boat. There is a lot of glue residue on the floor. How have you fine carpet-replacing type folks handled this? Scrape it out? Sand it down? Leave it in place? Or all of the above? I have sanded some of it but that seems like a lot of useless work seeing that not all of it comes up. I have scraped a portion of it but that seems like a lot of work (period). Leaving it in place doesn't seem to be a reasonable option.

AnNy suggestions or offers of advice from experience?

I scraped and sanded until it was smooth.
There was still some signs of the old glue, but it was smooth as a baby's butt.

scott88prostar
03-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Has anybody tried using a citrus based cleaner...Im doing the interior now and will be doing the carpet shortly...but if you apply the cleaner and let it have contact time it should loosen the glue and should be able to scrape it off...thats what Im thinkin anyways.

Cloaked
03-20-2005, 03:43 PM
PS82, I was afraid of that. And I do see where some of it will be there after all is said and done, with new carpet in place... LOL... Thanks

Scott, I may give that a try tomorrow evening... Thanks for the suggestion...