PDA

View Full Version : Garage door opener, special part search......

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 10:59 AM
I "think" I have searched enough to make my eyes pop out of their sockets!!
I am looking for a picture or detailed description of a "Shielding kit" for the Safe-t-beam (TM) of Genie garage door openers.

Rockman
05-18-2007, 01:03 PM
I "think" I have searched enough to make my eyes pop out of their sockets!!
I am looking for a picture or detailed description of a "Shielding kit" for the Safe-t-beam (TM) of Genie garage door openers.

What is it?

I know we have some spare parts and all the direction booklets for garage door openers up at the cottage and may have what you need. I am heading up there tonight.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 01:11 PM
My house faces North. Until recently everything was fine. Now, early AM and Late PM the sun shines directly into the "Safe-T-Beams". This will not allow the door to close. I have done too many things to try to resolve this issue, and I refuse to eliminate them.
Customer support wants to sell me this "new" part they call a "Shielding kit". I just want to know what they are specifically before I order them. They have no information, nothing on the website, and no pictures. I just want to see what it is they are trying to sell me.

Rockman
05-18-2007, 01:12 PM
My house faces North. Until recently everything was fine. Now, early AM and Late PM the sun shines directly into the "Safe-T-Beams". This will not allow the door to close. I have done too many things to resolve this issue, and I refuse to eliminate them.
Customer support wants to sell me this "new" part they call a "Shielding kit". I just want to know what they are specifically before I order them. They have no information, nothing on the website, and no pictures. I just want to see what it is they are trying to sell me.

Aaaahh, I see what you mean. I'll check around to see if I can find anything out for you.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Aaaahh, I see what you mean. I'll check around to see if I can find anything out for you.
In the manual they say to flip the sensors when there is a problem. However, in my case, the problem "flips" as well. I have tried a few things. I have moved them in, out, further, closer.....Nothing helps...That is why I can't see this device they want to sell me work. I may just end up putting a piece of tubing over the lenses to shade it and see how long that lasts. That was next on my list just shy of buying these "shields"....

Rockman
05-18-2007, 01:44 PM
I have 2 calls in right now so let's see what I can find out.

Can you cut and tape a piece of cardboard to the side of the sensors to prevent the sun light from hitting the sesnor eye?

Monte
05-18-2007, 01:53 PM
In the manual they say to flip the sensors when there is a problem. However, in my case, the problem "flips" as well. I have tried a few things. I have moved them in, out, further, closer.....Nothing helps...That is why I can't see this device they want to sell me work. I may just end up putting a piece of tubing over the lenses to shade it and see how long that lasts. That was next on my list just shy of buying these "shields"....

I see you may have already used this idea, but what about moving them farther back on the inner wall so the wall blocks the eye from the direct sun light. The only problem I could see is the track blocking the sensor's sight if the track is too close to the wall.. Just my suggestion..

dpolen
05-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Just a thought, could you just remove the sensors? Not up to code, but it would solve your current problem.

Rockman
05-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Is the sunlight coming though windows in the garage or do you have the garage door with the glass inserts at the top?

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I see you may have already used this idea, but what about moving them farther back on the inner wall so the wall blocks the eye from the direct sun light. The only problem I could see is the track blocking the sensor's sight if the track is too close to the wall.. Just my suggestion..
Sorry, but the first "scribble sketch" was just to get the idea across. This more closely resembles the problem.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Just a thought, could you just remove the sensors? Not up to code, but it would solve your current problem.
If I wasn't worried about the my own or the other 30+ kids on my street ages 0-10 getting caught, hit, or trapped by the door, or someone driving out of the garage if the close button was accidentally pushed. I might have considered this. However, as I said before, this is not an option.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Is the sunlight coming though windows in the garage or do you have the garage door with the glass inserts at the top?
Nope, no glass, I have a glass block window, but that is no where near the sensors.
The "yellow" area on the picture is the "sunlight". As if you were looking down on the situation from above the door openings.

Maristar210
05-18-2007, 02:39 PM
WFT,

If your shielding kit is anything like mine then what you have is a galvanized formed piece of sheet steel with two holes to block the sunlight.

Want me I should make them fer ya?

Oh and by the way. maybe your garage is too damn big :D

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2007, 02:43 PM
WFT,

If your shielding kit is anything like mine then what you have is a galvanized formed piece of sheet steel with two holes to block the sunlight.

Want me I should make them fer ya?

Oh and by the way. maybe your garage is too damn big :D
(I have no solution yet, they have nothing to show me to sell me on it) I would greatly appreciate a picture of your solution. I know d4mn well you have a camera and a computer in the garage.

I say this on behalf of Racheal, a garage can NEVER be TOO BIG!!!

Rockman
05-18-2007, 03:23 PM
I have no solution yet

WFT, Here ya go...

If you have a Liftmaster, Chamberlain, Craftsman machine then yes, they have sensors shields. They can be found here at
http://www.aaadooropeners.com/accessories.htm

Just scroll down until you get to part number 41B873

Hope this helps!

Workin' 4 Toys
05-20-2007, 08:41 PM
WFT, Here ya go...

If you have a Liftmaster, Chamberlain, Craftsman machine then yes, they have sensors shields. They can be found here at
http://www.aaadooropeners.com/accessories.htm

Just scroll down until you get to part number 41B873

Hope this helps!
Mine are Genies....
Here is from that link ONLY compatible with new style snappy brackets 41A5266-1. I don't know what a snappy bracket is, but I don't think I have one....;)