PDA

View Full Version : PCM Exhaust Riser Help!

Diesel
05-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Okay so I am working on a 90' Model with a 351 PCM and I had a hell of a time taking out the circled bolt. What's the trick?

The relief in the casting is too small to get a wrench in, a wobbler won't fit, a universal socket will not fit, so I finally just improvised with a disected universal socket and a long extension. It took me forever to get these two bolts out because I could only turn the bolt less than 1/8 turn with each stab.

Is there a tool or something that makes this easier?

Bastard bolt is circled in red below (picture ETS 2006).

east tx skier
05-18-2007, 10:10 AM
I think JimN mentioned using a sawed off ball end allen wrench. When I did mine, I got tired of messing with it and took it down the street to the mechanic who had better tools than I did.

Jim@BAWS
05-18-2007, 10:13 AM
DIESEL. Take a allen head wrench.. a cheap one and grind it down.
Use some PB Blaster on the screw before you turn it. That is the best way. Why are you removing the risers and elbows anyway? They look
fine?

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
05-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Jim, that's a picture of mine from after the gasket change (still hadn't even cleaned off the manifold). I hope he has more luck with the allen wrench and pb blaster than I did. I couldn't budge those old bolts even after a 24 hour PB soak (but I'm still a huge believer in that stuff).

Diesel
05-18-2007, 10:25 AM
DIESEL. Take a allen head wrench.. a cheap one and grind it down.
Use some PB Blaster on the screw before you turn it. That is the best way. Why are you removing the risers and elbows anyway? They look
fine?

Jim@BAWS

Ah just noticed Indmar was smart and used allen head cap screws. This is on another brand and it has standard hex head screws and now that I looked again the casting is a bit different. Here is a picture of the actual riser.

east tx skier
05-18-2007, 10:32 AM
You might send a PM to TRBenj. He may have gone through this with his PCM engine.