PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new stick

ski_king
02-03-2005, 10:10 AM
Right now I have a mid 70's Obrien World Team, that the girls use and I ski on a early 80's MasterCraft Superstar. Since I liked the feel of the MasterCraft, I have stuck with it for many years. The binding ripped on my last time out. Maybe it is time for me to upgrade.

Anyway, I am looking for some input into my next ski. 50% of my skiing is in the course and on a good day I can run it at 15 off at 32mph. I prefer a rear toe plate, but may be willing to try something different. Cost is a factor, hoping to not go over the $400 mark. I weight about 160.

I also have a few wooden Maherajah’s that I have either restored or are in the process of restoring, I consider them a collectors items and just use them occasionally when I feel like going old school. I tried one of them in the course and was surprised how well it felt and did. But then again, look what I am comparing it to. Have you seen that these are selling new now for over $1200? Maybe my collection may actually increasing in value…… probably not, they just look cool in my opinion.

east tx skier
02-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Go to Wiley's (www.wileyski.com) and pick up a CDX. It is close to your price range bland. With some wileys binders, you will pay a bit over $400 though. Very stable ski, but plenty of speed for course skiing. It hasn't been made in a couple of years, yet Wileys continues to convince HO to make limited runs for them. I've been very happy with mine.

I've got a Maherajah Giant Slalom Longboard for those not so glassy days. Beautiful ski that I'll be keeping. Nothing like cruising at 44 mph on a 150' line.

MarkP
02-03-2005, 12:34 PM
All I can say is try to test them before you buy. I’m going to try to work out a deal to test a handful of different skis this spring. Let me know if you want to come along for some of the tests..

ski_king
02-03-2005, 12:38 PM
All I can say is try to test them before you buy. I’m going to try to work out a deal to test a handful of different skis this spring. Let me know if you want to come along for some of the tests..

Sounds good, where are you going to go around this area?

I was hoping to sneak one in when I get my tax return. If I wait to long, my wife will find another way to spend the $$, probobly on something silly like food or clothes for the kids.

BrianM
02-03-2005, 12:43 PM
I second buying from Wiley's they have some really good deals and I love their binders. You might also consider the KD7000. It should be in your price range as well. It is a great ski in the course yet very stable. Talk to the guys at Wiley's they have great knowledge and may give you some other ideas. One thing is for sure. Going to any of the new skis is going to be night and day from those fiberglass skis you are used to skiing. I'am sure that if they even have a small amout of yearly use they are probably pretty worn out.

Ryan
02-03-2005, 12:47 PM
My buddy just got a new Kidder Redline with double comp plates for just under $300. It's a great ski.

Farmer Ted
02-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Wileys! Wileys! Wileys!

One of the guys there, maybe Skip? Is a trip, he'll recommend a good ski for you based on the type of skiing you do and you'll get a great deal.

I bought a Mach 1 with Wiley's high wrap boot and RTP for about $240.

MarkP
02-03-2005, 12:56 PM
I started working the guy at ski LTD this past summer. That’s about an hr away in Ohio. I think the other two guys in my crew are about ready for new sticks too. As it is, they, (ski LTD) have a fairly good policy in place. If you buy a ski and you find its not the right ski, they will exchange it for a different ski.

I got the impression last summer he would go for the demo thing and that was with just one ski. So I think for the chance to sell three, its on..

MarkP
02-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Wileys does have great deals..http://www.wileyski.com/

ski_king
02-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks Mark, Sounds good.

I know Ski Ltd well. I am not sure if I ever drove thru Boardman without the detour onto South Ave to stop in and check things out over there. I bought my current ski from Vic when he was just statring the business and working out of his garage.

tex
02-03-2005, 01:38 PM
I had heard that ski limited went belly up. the website is up. i would make some calls before i ordered over the web. wiley's has always done me great!

ski_king
02-03-2005, 01:42 PM
I had heard that ski limited went belly up. the website is up. i would make some calls before i ordered over the web. wiley's has always done me great!
Thanks Tex!
I checked there web site again.....
New address, no longer in Boardman/Youngstown OH
Now in : One Ski Limited Way, PO Box 1000, Bethel, NC 27812

I just got off the phone with them, they moved in November 2004.

Mark, Do you have a plan B?

MarkP
02-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Wow, thanks tex,

Just got off of the phone with Ski Limited. Not “belly up” but not in Ohio anymore either.. Now in NC. Looks like I have to find another demo deal..

MarkP
02-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Plan B??

I am afraid to buy a ski without trying it out. I’ll have to look for a new demo deal?? Who else is around here?

MarkP
02-03-2005, 01:53 PM
I know that I tried a lot of skis before I settled on my “Rocket”

ski_king
02-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Maybe one of the dealers iat Conneaut Lake. I don't think they would have a good price though.

I know a place in Flordia. Ready for a road trip?

MarkP
02-03-2005, 02:01 PM
The wife is actually trying to talk me out of a lake vacation this year. She wants to hit Disney instead :steering:

MarkP
02-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Hmmm,

Maybe a lake vacation around http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1a=&1c=&1s=&1z=16066&1ah=&2y=US&2a=&2c=&2s=&2z=27812&2ah=

ski_king
02-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Interesting.... Ski Limited is now located within 15 miles of Overtons.

tex
02-03-2005, 02:42 PM
I guess belly up was too strong of a statement. i had heard that they were having some trouble and were in the process of being bought. i might have even read it here?

ski_king
02-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Quote from http://www.schnitzskis.com/pages/460743/index.htm

FINANCIAL ALERT - UNSUBSTANTIATED BUT RELIABLE; SKI LIMITED HAS BEEN SOLD TO OVERTONS! I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT SKI LIMITED IS NOT PAYING ONE OF THEIR SUPPLIERS LEAVING THEM WITH THOUSANDS IN UNPAID BILLS. IF THEY'RE NOT PAYING ONE, THEY'RE PROBABLY NOT PAYING OTHERS. DO YOU DO BUSINESS WITH SKI LIMITED?

ski_king
02-03-2005, 03:13 PM
I talked with Wileys. I am thinking about the following:
HO CDX $479
O'Brien Mapple $399
HO TRUTH $399

All with Wiley Bindings. The truth may be animal bindings

milkmania
02-03-2005, 03:56 PM
just got off the phone with Melissa from Wiley's

ordered a few things...very helpful lady, and she was going to call me back on a couple of things...kept her promise too!

she said for technical questions, speak to Stan or Darren Wiley when you call.

they're in Seattle Washington and she wanted to explain shipping costs before she shipped sso that I would not be suprised.

we'll see how it goes, and she may possibly get more business:dance:

Mag_Red
02-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Some one should see if Wiley's wants to do a Group purchase discount for members on this forum. We do that all the time on the Corvette Forum and get some good deals from the vendors. :toast:

ski_king
02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Some one should see if Wiley's wants to do a Group purchase discount for members on this forum. We do that all the time on the Corvette Forum and get some good deals from the vendors. :toast:
Same goes for SKIDIM.com they are setup for MALIBU, CCFAN. I will, but don't want to use those codes to get a 10% discount.

Professor
02-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Right now I have a mid 70's Obrien World Team, that the girls use and I ski on a early 80's MasterCraft Superstar. Since I liked the feel of the MasterCraft, I have stuck with it for many years. The binding ripped on my last time out. Maybe it is time for me to upgrade.
Anyway, I am looking for some input into my next ski. 50% of my skiing is in the course and on a good day I can run it at 15 off at 32mph. I prefer a rear toe plate, but may be willing to try something different. Cost is a factor, hoping to not go over the $400 mark. I weight about 160.
I also have a few wooden Maherajah’s that I have either restored or are in the process of restoring, I consider them a collectors items and just use them occasionally when I feel like going old school. I tried one of them in the course and was surprised how well it felt and did. But then again, look what I am comparing it to. Have you seen that these are selling new now for over $1200? Maybe my collection may actually increasing in value…… probably not, they just look cool in my opinion.
Good luck on the new purchase. Some nice old skis! I have one of the old Mastercraft skis and a pair of old red rockets. Looks as if they would make great collectors items. Wonder if any like them have been sold on Ebay?

jayderwin1
02-03-2005, 05:46 PM
The best ski i have ever ridden was the KD CR 7, i swear by it. i went from hitting 3 bouy's at 22off @34MPH to all six on the CR 7 at the same speed and rope. the ski i was ridding before was a Connelly Attack. the Connelly was my ski and the KD was a friends ski that i road just a few times.

east tx skier
02-03-2005, 06:42 PM
I started working the guy at ski LTD this past summer. That’s about an hr away in Ohio. I think the other two guys in my crew are about ready for new sticks too. As it is, they, (ski LTD) have a fairly good policy in place. If you buy a ski and you find its not the right ski, they will exchange it for a different ski.

I got the impression last summer he would go for the demo thing and that was with just one ski. So I think for the chance to sell three, its on..

The rumor is that Overtons bought Ski Limited's stock. I had an order in to ski limited that was way late and called them. They said they were transferring their distribution center to North Carolina (who is it that's based there?). I cancelled my order and placed it with Overtons. Whether there will be a business called ski limited in the future is, in my opinion, questionable. But I could be wrong, of course.

east tx skier
02-03-2005, 06:44 PM
I talked with Wileys. I am thinking about the following:
HO CDX $479
O'Brien Mapple $399
HO TRUTH $399

All with Wiley Bindings. The truth may be animal bindings

I remember the CDX being $419 with the wiley boots, but maybe that was RTP.

rodltg2
02-03-2005, 07:31 PM
d3 is best

ski_king
02-03-2005, 11:20 PM
After thinking about getting a new ski today, I got cabin fever tonight and have been rearranging my skis, ropes, vests, etc.

Since I had the skis out, I took a picture of them. While the Maha's are good looking old skis (in my opinion) they are mainly a collection that sits and collects dust. The old MasterCraft, which was actually made by EP has seen better days long ago.

At least now I have a photo ready for Ebay when I get my new one.

SteveO
02-04-2005, 07:20 AM
I picked up a KD 7000 last year from Wileys and love it. Give them a ring. They had the best pricing I could find

Professor
02-04-2005, 08:17 AM
After thinking about getting a new ski today, I got cabin fever tonight and have been rearranging my skis, ropes, vests, etc.

Since I had the skis out, I took a picture of them. While the Maha's are good looking old skis (in my opinion) they are mainly a collection that sits and collects dust. The old MasterCraft, which was actually made by EP has seen better days long ago.

At least now I have a photo ready for Ebay when I get my new one.
Good pic. Wasn't the rubber point on the Mahas an 'extra charge' option?

ski_king
02-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Good pic. Wastn't the rubber point on the Mahas an 'extra charge' option?
Thanks,
Not sure, I have 1 even older that dosen't have the rubber tip and it has a very sharp point. My guess it was added as a safety feature. I see their web site shows them without the tip again, and a rounder point.

east tx skier
02-04-2005, 12:07 PM
This is my Maherajah. It's a keeper for sure. I love the thick side cut. Don't let those skis go. If anything, send them to Bob Maher and let him refinish them.

I'd love to try one of his new slalom skis (other than mine). They're supposed to be really quick and soft.

east tx skier
02-04-2005, 12:09 PM
And, the sidecut ...

MarkP
02-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Doug,

New cover??

east tx skier
02-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Old cover. Repaired the straps on my OEM cover last summer and sold old blue on ebay.